Honestly, I don't even know what I'm doing at this point

naila00

Mar 1, 2021
Hi all,

I desperately need some advice...

I'm currently a second year Criminology student. But I wish to pursue Law. I didn't get into a Law course because I got CCC in my A Levels.

I've been so depressed the past two years, because I couldn't drop out because uni is a big thing in my family and I didn't want to disappoint my parents.

If you guys could help me with a few questions.

1. What law firms would accept a person with CCC grades at A Level? -If any even would :(

2. Do I even bother applying for Training Contracts?

3. Where and when do I even start?

4. What should be my next steps? What should I even be doing right now? 😭

If someone could please help me I'd really appreciate it. I've never been so lost and done with everything. I don't want to pursue a career in policing or social work or anything like that. Do you have any suggestions on more career paths I can pursue with Criminology?

chloe24

Forum Winner
Feb 23, 2021
Sorry to hear that you've been struggling with this so much. However, your A-Levels will not be the be all and end all. Some firms have gotten rid of their A-Level criteria however some haven't so it may just be worth doing some research to find this out as a first step.

Once you have found the firms you would like to apply to I would look at applying for some work experience in high street firms whether this be vacation schemes or informal work experience through emailing firms speculatively. If your University has a law clinic look to volunteer for them as this is a good way to gain experience. I would also recommend joining any legal societies at your University too as it shows your commitment to a career in the law. There is also Aspiring Solicitors (https://www.aspiringsolicitors.co.uk/) who can help you secure a vacation scheme and/or training contract if you:

Are BAME (Black, Asian & Minority Ethnic); and/or
Are “socially mobile” which can include being (i) state school (non-selective comprehensive) educated and are the first generation in your family to attend university (ii) from a low-income household (iii) a refugee (iv) having spent more than 3 months in local authority care and other factors; and/or
Are part of the LGBTQ+ community; and/or
Have a disability or long-term health condition

Because you have done a non-law degree you will have to do the GDL to essentially convert it into a law degree. However, whilst doing the GDL this will give you another opportunity to gain experience.

The Solicitors Qualifying Exams are coming in next September which will get rid of the requirement to do the LPC and secure a training contract. More and more firms will probably start introducing a Graduate Solicitor Apprenticeship where you work 4 days a week and spend 1 day at law school (Weightmans applications are currently open so have a look on their website for more info). Also, Freeths has a Legal Assistant Programme and whilst employed by them they assess at the 9 month mark whether to offer funding for the SQE (https://isw.changeworknow.co.uk/freeths/vms/e/careers/positions/bCHc8tSe5pejt-YQ-Mlp2m). Lots of firms are widening access to the legal profession.

In terms of what you should be doing right now look at getting as much experience as you can!

I hope that makes sense and that it helps?

naila00

Mar 1, 2021
Sorry to hear that you've been struggling with this so much. However, your A-Levels will not be the be all and end all. Some firms have gotten rid of their A-Level criteria however some haven't so it may just be worth doing some research to find this out as a first step.

Once you have found the firms you would like to apply to I would look at applying for some work experience in high street firms whether this be vacation schemes or informal work experience through emailing firms speculatively. If your University has a law clinic look to volunteer for them as this is a good way to gain experience. I would also recommend joining any legal societies at your University too as it shows your commitment to a career in the law. There is also Aspiring Solicitors (https://www.aspiringsolicitors.co.uk/) who can help you secure a vacation scheme and/or training contract if you:

Are BAME (Black, Asian & Minority Ethnic); and/or
Are “socially mobile” which can include being (i) state school (non-selective comprehensive) educated and are the first generation in your family to attend university (ii) from a low-income household (iii) a refugee (iv) having spent more than 3 months in local authority care and other factors; and/or
Are part of the LGBTQ+ community; and/or
Have a disability or long-term health condition

Because you have done a non-law degree you will have to do the GDL to essentially convert it into a law degree. However, whilst doing the GDL this will give you another opportunity to gain experience.

The Solicitors Qualifying Exams are coming in next September which will get rid of the requirement to do the LPC and secure a training contract. More and more firms will probably start introducing a Graduate Solicitor Apprenticeship where you work 4 days a week and spend 1 day at law school (Weightmans applications are currently open so have a look on their website for more info). Also, Freeths has a Legal Assistant Programme and whilst employed by them they assess at the 9 month mark whether to offer funding for the SQE (https://isw.changeworknow.co.uk/freeths/vms/e/careers/positions/bCHc8tSe5pejt-YQ-Mlp2m). Lots of firms are widening access to the legal profession.

In terms of what you should be doing right now look at getting as much experience as you can!

I hope that makes sense and that it helps?
You're so lovely and you've been so helpful! I can't express how much I appreciate that you've taken the time to write and explain everything. Truly a gem. Thank you so much for all your advice.

I will definitely take a look at Aspiring Solicitors right now and look at Weightmans and Freeths.

Such a wonderful person. Thank you once again! 💕😭

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Premium Member
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Dec 1, 2020
My idea/suggestion for you would be to focus on getting great grades at uni and getting as much work experience as possible, that way you'll have loads of things that point to you being a smart, determined go-getter that you can show off to firms. If you work really hard to get work experiences firms might be interested in you immediately on the strength of that?

naila00

Mar 1, 2021
My idea/suggestion for you would be to focus on getting great grades at uni and getting as much work experience as possible, that way you'll have loads of things that point to you being a smart, determined go-getter that you can show off to firms. If you work really hard to get work experiences firms might be interested in you immediately on the strength of that?

Thank you so much for your advice and support! I will definitely start applying for work experience within the legal profession❤

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Premium Member
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Dec 1, 2020
Thank you so much for your advice and support! I will definitely start applying for work experience within the legal profession❤

I'd say any decent work experience you can get is great too--for example anything corporate/finance/writing/business development too is also great. Or anything that also shows you taking initiative, building skills and helping to make you a better trainee 😍

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Agree with everything that's been said! If you have any mitigating circumstances that explain your A-level grades and you include this in your app, many firms will definitely still consider you!

Alison C

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    Hi all,

I'm currently a second year Criminology student. But I wish to pursue Law. I didn't get into a Law course because I got CCC in my A Levels.

I've been so depressed the past two years, because I couldn't drop out because uni is a big thing in my family and I didn't want to disappoint my parents.

1. What law firms would accept a person with CCC grades at A Level? -If any even would :(

If someone could please help me I'd really appreciate it. I've never been so lost and done with everything. I don't want to pursue a career in policing or social work or anything like that. Do you have any suggestions on more career paths I can pursue with Criminology?
    Hi @naila00

You see, you have already found some support. Great resourcefulness!

1 - From 'The Lawyer' in August 2020:
    DWF: Previously asked for AAB but has dropped this requirement.
    Freshfields:We do not have any minimum A level requirements and we do not assess GCSE grades.”
    Macfarlanes: “We have no minimum requirements for A level results. However, we receive a high number of applications each year, if your A level results are below BBB, you will be competing against a high number of candidates with strong applications.
    Slaughter and May:Good A-Level grades are not a strict requirement. All applications are welcome and will be reviewed by our recruitment partners based on their own merits. If you have any mitigating circumstances that affected any of your academic results, we recommend that you include them in your application.”

The Government Legal Service also only requires a 2:2 (though they don't sponsor the GDL conversion course, only the LPC) but they do make you go through a rigorous selection process. They are a true Equal Opps employer as you might hope. The GLS does have the National Crime Agency under their umbrella too, which your degree might be useful for.

I think that 'the big four' may also be moving away from A-level requirements, to more game-based or aptitude test assessments but this is only anecdotal. If you want to know for sure, send a polite enquiry to Grad Recruitment, or just ring them up. Being brave is good for confidence!

2 - Getting a TC is not a straightforward process and you need to be feeling really ready for rejection, so, bearing in mind you already recognise you aren't in the strongest position, my personal suggestion (like other people on here it seems) would be to wait. If you are going to submit an application you want to know it's as good as it can be. You need a good 2:1 if you can get one - not just because that's what's usually required, but because if you really don't enjoy academic study you may struggle in a fairly academic profession, and no one wants a job where they are unhappy.

3 - Aspiring Solicitors, STRIVE, SEO, Grow, Vantage and others are really aiming to widen access so see if you meet their requirements for support. Make sure that you also milk your university careers service! But you might also want to look into (a) CILEX which is a longer but well-established qualification route, (b) the new SQE (lots of YouTubers are giving a view on this; it's essentially another on-the-job training) and (c) legal apprenticeships - for example big companies such as Selfridges and Bloomberg sometimes enable less academic candidates to take this route.

4 - Consider attending Legal Cheek, All About Law and other free events which don't require you to compete for a place but will start to help you understand the industry. Bright Network also has some great resources, events and schemes.

5 - Your uni should be able to help you figure out other career paths; it's difficult to know what a job is REALLY like until you are actually doing it and you may find that your idea about the law isn't the same as the reality. Talking to as many people as possible will help though. You might want to look into forensic psychology, which would require a different postgrad conversion and training, but again you want to find out as much as you can about the actual role.

Good for you for making a plan. Go for it!

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hi all,

Hi there,

I am so pleased to see so many people have responded.

I think the best thing you can do right now is really really focus on getting the best degree marks and grades that you can and if you have the time, try to get involved with extracurricular activities you love and try and get some work experience where possible. I say try and get the best degree grades you can because they, of course, do form part of an application, but work experience and extracurriculars cannot be underestimated. I also love that someone recommended aspiring solicitors above, Rare recruitment is another excellent organisation.

Absolutely apply for training contracts. I really advise you to try and engage with firms as best as you can this cycle and when recruitment events really pick back up again at the start of the next cycle because graduate recruitment will be able to advise you in terms of your individual circumstances.

I think my best advice to you from my own experience is don't become consumed with 'life after uni'. At uni, you have much better access to extracurriculars and opportunities for personal growth and development so really do seize those whilst you have the chance. It can be a bit disconcerting when everyone around you is applying to XYZ but just focus on your aspirations and getting the best degree that you can.

You seem like a really driven, motivated and hard working person and I would really advise everyone at the minute not to be overwhelmed by 'hustle' culture which I think has really permeated in the last few years. Everyone does everything at their own pace and there isn't any need to have lots of spinning plates at any one time. I think for now, just focus on your degree and being at university and I assure you it will all work out, please try not to put too much pressure on yourself or worry. Hard work and perseverance pays off in the end!

AB

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 23, 2020
    Hi all,

Hi @naila00,

Please do not let A-level grades hold you back. That was one of my biggest regrets. Look into different firms, many firms have dropped a-level grades as previously mentioned and others take full applications into account. Off the top of my head Ashurst, Linklaters, Bird & Bird and Freshfields (but do double-check, I could be wrong) don't have minimum a-level requirements. Focus on getting a strong 2:1 or a 1st in your degree, you can then show firms your progress.

Do not worry about not taking a law degree, I believe many firms recruit up to 50% non-law if not more. Having a background in a different subject gives you something unique and you may have obtained skills that law students lack in.

Make sure you truly research all areas of law/ opportunities open to you. Speak to your university careers service or your tutor if you can. Read up on the different areas of law, types of firms, whether you want to become a solicitor or a barrister, different tasks lawyers undertake, whether you want to work on cases from around the world, etc. AllaboutLaw, Lawcareers.net, and The Lawyer Portal might be able to help.

As a non-law second-year student, I believe you can apply to a range of first-year schemes and open days ( depends on the firm, check the website or email graduate recruitment), here is a list that may be beneficial to you: https://www.lawcareers.net/Explore/...r-opportunities-open-days-and-insight-schemes. In your third year you can then apply to vacation schemes/training contracts but this is different for each firm so do check!

To gain some legal work experience I would suggest emailing local high street firms ( once lockdown eases). If you meet the requirements for upReach or SEO London check them out. Aspiring solicitors have already been mentioned but do check them out they offer work experience and mentoring schemes. Applications for AS Aspire are currently open and I have heard many positive things https://www.aspiringsolicitors.co.uk/as-aspire/. The Bright Network, Instate, Legal Cheek, BIUCAC, the Commercial Academy, and the Corporate Academy are great resources! Check if your university has a law society or a pro-bono society. Take part in any competitions, events, etc. Don't worry about not having any legal knowledge, everyone is there to learn.

Other resources which helped me are Christopher Stoakes 'All you need to know about the city,' Watson's daily podcast or you can subscribe for daily news ( much easier to read than the financial times), the financial times also have 10-minute news podcasts every day.

But don't worry, take your time and really research all career options open to you.

naila00

Mar 1, 2021
    Hi @naila00,

Please do not let A-level grades hold you back. That was one of my biggest regrets. Look into different firms, many firms have dropped a-level grades as previously mentioned and others take full applications into account. Off the top of my head Ashurst, Linklaters, Bird & Bird and Freshfields (but do double-check, I could be wrong) don't have minimum a-level requirements. Focus on getting a strong 2:1 or a 1st in your degree, you can then show firms your progress.

Do not worry about not taking a law degree, I believe many firms recruit up to 50% non-law if not more. Having a background in a different subject gives you something unique and you may have obtained skills that law students lack in.

Make sure you truly research all areas of law/ opportunities open to you. Speak to your university careers service or your tutor if you can. Read up on the different areas of law, types of firms, whether you want to become a solicitor or a barrister, different tasks lawyers undertake, whether you want to work on cases from around the world, etc. AllaboutLaw, Lawcareers.net, and The Lawyer Portal might be able to help.

As a non-law second-year student, I believe you can apply to a range of first-year schemes and open days ( depends on the firm, check the website or email graduate recruitment), here is a list that may be beneficial to you: https://www.lawcareers.net/Explore/...r-opportunities-open-days-and-insight-schemes. In your third year you can then apply to vacation schemes/training contracts but this is different for each firm so do check!

To gain some legal work experience I would suggest emailing local high street firms ( once lockdown eases). If you meet the requirements for upReach or SEO London check them out. Aspiring solicitors have already been mentioned but do check them out they offer work experience and mentoring schemes. Applications for AS Aspire are currently open and I have heard many positive things https://www.aspiringsolicitors.co.uk/as-aspire/. The Bright Network, Instate, Legal Cheek, BIUCAC, the Commercial Academy, and the Corporate Academy are great resources! Check if your university has a law society or a pro-bono society. Take part in any competitions, events, etc. Don't worry about not having any legal knowledge, everyone is there to learn.

Other resources which helped me are Christopher Stoakes 'All you need to know about the city,' Watson's daily podcast or you can subscribe for daily news ( much easier to read than the financial times), the financial times also have 10-minute news podcasts every day.

But don't worry, take your time and really research all career options open to you.
    Hi!

Honestly thank you soo much for taking the time to leave this advise! I feel soo much more at ease and confident in my journey because of you.

I will definitely look into getting legal experience and doing extra work.

I can't thank you enough

I wish you endless success in all your endeavours.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden

naila00

Mar 1, 2021
    Hi there,

I am so pleased to see so many people have responded.

I think the best thing you can do right now is really really focus on getting the best degree marks and grades that you can and if you have the time, try to get involved with extracurricular activities you love and try and get some work experience where possible. I say try and get the best degree grades you can because they, of course, do form part of an application, but work experience and extracurriculars cannot be underestimated. I also love that someone recommended aspiring solicitors above, Rare recruitment is another excellent organisation.

Absolutely apply for training contracts. I really advise you to try and engage with firms as best as you can this cycle and when recruitment events really pick back up again at the start of the next cycle because graduate recruitment will be able to advise you in terms of your individual circumstances.

I think my best advice to you from my own experience is don't become consumed with 'life after uni'. At uni, you have much better access to extracurriculars and opportunities for personal growth and development so really do seize those whilst you have the chance. It can be a bit disconcerting when everyone around you is applying to XYZ but just focus on your aspirations and getting the best degree that you can.

You seem like a really driven, motivated and hard working person and I would really advise everyone at the minute not to be overwhelmed by 'hustle' culture which I think has really permeated in the last few years. Everyone does everything at their own pace and there isn't any need to have lots of spinning plates at any one time. I think for now, just focus on your degree and being at university and I assure you it will all work out, please try not to put too much pressure on yourself or worry. Hard work and perseverance pays off in the end!
    Hi Alice!

Thank you sooo much for your comment! 💕

The support system here is truly amazing. I will definitely do more this year in terms of building experience and looking into events and signing up for everything I possibly can!!

I definitely agree with your point on 'hustle culture.' There's so much pressure to succeed early, build a career straight out of graduating, start in the highest paid positions, and I for one have definitely fallen into that toxic mindset. You've brought me so much ease and I can't thank you enough - I only wish you receive the same support when you're down!!

Thank you once again!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden and Alice G

naila00

Mar 1, 2021
    Hi @naila00

You see, you have already found some support. Great resourcefulness!

1 - From 'The Lawyer' in August 2020:
    DWF: Previously asked for AAB but has dropped this requirement.
    Freshfields:We do not have any minimum A level requirements and we do not assess GCSE grades.”
    Macfarlanes: “We have no minimum requirements for A level results. However, we receive a high number of applications each year, if your A level results are below BBB, you will be competing against a high number of candidates with strong applications.
    Slaughter and May:Good A-Level grades are not a strict requirement. All applications are welcome and will be reviewed by our recruitment partners based on their own merits. If you have any mitigating circumstances that affected any of your academic results, we recommend that you include them in your application.”

The Government Legal Service also only requires a 2:2 (though they don't sponsor the GDL conversion course, only the LPC) but they do make you go through a rigorous selection process. They are a true Equal Opps employer as you might hope. The GLS does have the National Crime Agency under their umbrella too, which your degree might be useful for.

I think that 'the big four' may also be moving away from A-level requirements, to more game-based or aptitude test assessments but this is only anecdotal. If you want to know for sure, send a polite enquiry to Grad Recruitment, or just ring them up. Being brave is good for confidence!

2 - Getting a TC is not a straightforward process and you need to be feeling really ready for rejection, so, bearing in mind you already recognise you aren't in the strongest position, my personal suggestion (like other people on here it seems) would be to wait. If you are going to submit an application you want to know it's as good as it can be. You need a good 2:1 if you can get one - not just because that's what's usually required, but because if you really don't enjoy academic study you may struggle in a fairly academic profession, and no one wants a job where they are unhappy.

3 - Aspiring Solicitors, STRIVE, SEO, Grow, Vantage and others are really aiming to widen access so see if you meet their requirements for support. Make sure that you also milk your university careers service! But you might also want to look into (a) CILEX which is a longer but well-established qualification route, (b) the new SQE (lots of YouTubers are giving a view on this; it's essentially another on-the-job training) and (c) legal apprenticeships - for example big companies such as Selfridges and Bloomberg sometimes enable less academic candidates to take this route.

4 - Consider attending Legal Cheek, All About Law and other free events which don't require you to compete for a place but will start to help you understand the industry. Bright Network also has some great resources, events and schemes.

5 - Your uni should be able to help you figure out other career paths; it's difficult to know what a job is REALLY like until you are actually doing it and you may find that your idea about the law isn't the same as the reality. Talking to as many people as possible will help though. You might want to look into forensic psychology, which would require a different postgrad conversion and training, but again you want to find out as much as you can about the actual role.

Good for you for making a plan. Go for it!
    Hi Alison,

Wow! You are AMAZING!!

Thank you so much for your time; I can't express how much I appreciate your advice. I've definitely gotten a lot of confidence and ease of mind from this and will 100% take all of your advice!

I wish you endless success and support -just as you have supported me. Thank you once again! 💕

• Love
    Reactions: Alison C

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.