How do Best Friend Law Firms Work?

TheCustardPants

Distinguished Member
Sep 12, 2018
Hi guys!

I have an interview coming up at Slaughter and May. One thing I've noticed is that they don't have international offices, and like Travers Smith, they have 'best friend' law firms whom they partner with.

My question is, how does this really work in detail? Do they simply work with the local law firm in a region (let's say, Japan), and work on a client matter 50/50 - and then take 50% of the billing from this client? And what are the advantages/disadvantages of this?

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi guys!

I have an interview coming up at Slaughter and May. One thing I've noticed is that they don't have international offices, and like Travers Smith, they have 'best friend' law firms whom they partner with.

My question is, how does this really work in detail? Do they simply work with the local law firm in a region (let's say, Japan), and work on a client matter 50/50 - and then take 50% of the billing from this client? And what are the advantages/disadvantages of this?

Thanks!

It won’t be 50/50 - how it will be split will be based on how many hours/size of the project in each local jurisdiction. Slaughters won’t be taking 50% of the fee if they were only doing 5% of the work. Same if they were doing 85% of the work.

It’s really just a referral system more than anything, tied up with some joint branding /marketing and other infrastructure aspects (eg secondments). The referrals will go both ways though - Slaughters will be getting an inflow off work from their partner law firms who have deals that come into the UK. Both sides leverage each other’s brand and ensure a level of quality work is met.

Major advantage is not having to 1) invest and 2) have the running costs for multiple offices. Disadvantage is that relationships and businesses change. If you can’t directly influence the strategy of your best friend firm, there nothing stopping them finding a new best friend in time or entering your own market in time.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.