How do I answer these Withers vac scheme questions?

S321

Star Member
Jan 28, 2020
I’m applying to withers, my issue is they only want 60 words when answering questions. They’re all competency based questions and as it’s a limited number of words I’m using the STAR technique. The ones I’m struggling with are:
1. What would you invent and why?
2. What are your hobbies/interests?
3. Why do you want to be a lawyer? (The 60 word limit makes this hard)
4. Why withers; I thought I could mention the private client aspect

Since university I don’t have many, as I work. I’ve recently applied to a volunteering service but I have to wait to hear back so I’m not sure if I can list that. Anyone able to help

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I’m applying to withers, my issue is they only want 60 words when answering questions. They’re all competency based questions and as it’s a limited number of words I’m using the STAR technique. The ones I’m struggling with are:

Since university I don’t have many, as I work. I’ve recently applied to a volunteering service but I have to wait to hear back so I’m not sure if I can list that. Anyone able to help

No need to use STAR for any of these. It’s just going to mean that you need to be as concise as possible when answering each question, picking out the most important highlights from your normal answers.

S321

Star Member
    Jan 28, 2020
    No need to use STAR for any of these. It’s just going to mean that you need to be as concise as possible when answering each question, picking out the most important highlights from your normal answers.

Yeah I realise that, I was tired and probably didn’t explain myself clearly I’d been using star for the other competency based questions on the form which require some form of structure. Thank you for the advice though

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

STAR is not appropriate for any of those questions where none of them are competency questions

Reactions: NickyRaykes

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.