How do I explain inconsistent grades?

hi2768

Sep 6, 2022
I want to apply for a TC at Faegre Drinker and according to their website, they are looking for “consistently high level of academic achievement“. I have high academic achievement, but inconsistent. To put it into perspective, in my first and second year at uni I just about passed. I got a distinction in my final year. Also had to resit an exam on the LPC, but again have some distinctions. The truth is, I was very depressed and only put in the effort when I had to. When I tried, the results were great. I did not even mention my mental health issues to my uni or applied for mitigating circumstances.

I have now completed the LPC and I am in a much better place. I have great experience and if law firms can just look past the inconsistencies, I have a prospect of success. The question is, how do I explain myself?

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
May 30, 2023
I want to apply for a TC at Faegre Drinker and according to their website, they are looking for “consistently high level of academic achievement“. I have high academic achievement, but inconsistent. To put it into perspective, in my first and second year at uni I just about passed. I got a distinction in my final year. Also had to resit an exam on the LPC, but again have some distinctions. The truth is, I was very depressed and only put in the effort when I had to. When I tried, the results were great. I did not even mention my mental health issues to my uni or applied for mitigating circumstances.

I have now completed the LPC and I am in a much better place. I have great experience and if law firms can just look past the inconsistencies, I have a prospect of success. The question is, how do I explain myself?
Hi @hi2768!

First of all, I am so sorry you had such a hard time during your undergraduate degree/s - I am so glad to hear you are in a much better place and your healing process is the number one priority, rather than 'explaining' any period of poor mental health. The fact of the matter is that you were suffering. You can retrospectively settle that matter by disclosing to Faegre Drinker (or any of the firms you apply to) that you were suffering and that only now that you were in a better place, have you realised how troubling that period of your life was. If you are fortunate enough to get a GP or therapist appointment, it will definitely help to have confirmation from a medical professional.

Ultimately, if Faegre Drinker does not understand that you were performing to the 'consistently high level' that you could at the time and then redeemed yourself in final year, there will likely be another firm that does.

@Jessica Booker - perhaps you can also offer some insight?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @hi2768!

First of all, I am so sorry you had such a hard time during your undergraduate degree/s - I am so glad to hear you are in a much better place and your healing process is the number one priority, rather than 'explaining' any period of poor mental health. The fact of the matter is that you were suffering. You can retrospectively settle that matter by disclosing to Faegre Drinker (or any of the firms you apply to) that you were suffering and that only now that you were in a better place, have you realised how troubling that period of your life was. If you are fortunate enough to get a GP or therapist appointment, it will definitely help to have confirmation from a medical professional.

Ultimately, if Faegre Drinker does not understand that you were performing to the 'consistently high level' that you could at the time and then redeemed yourself in final year, there will likely be another firm that does.

@Jessica Booker - perhaps you can also offer some insight?
The challenge here isn't necessarily the message of the mental health, it is more so the inconsistency of trying and the outcomes because of that difference. That is the message you really want to avoid presenting, although I completely understand that the ability to try was linked to the mental health concerns.

The reference of not trying/applying yourself is really the red flag here more than anything - the firm will see a risk that you could potentially not apply yourself in certain situations as a trainee (e.g. if you don't enjoy the seat or if you are under pressure for a particular deal). And so you want to avoid presenting it this way or as you have phrased it, "only putting in the effort when I had to". Instead, you want to focus on the obstacles that stopped you from being able to put the effort in - and that isn't necessarily just stating your mental health at the time, it is more about how your mental health played out - for instance, did anxiety stop you from studying vs did some form of compulsion lead to you over-focusing on one subject vs another.

If you have subsequently been diagnosed and have or are still receiving treatment, then this is something to highlight, especially if academic results or other performance have improved since. You can then focus on the positive result of the uplift in the performance and how you (with support) have got better/improved.

Sierra

Standard Member
Junior Lawyer
Apr 5, 2023

Heya, sorry to hear about your tough time. But the fact that you improved in spite of your setbacks is certainly commendable

Likewise to Jess and Laura, while it is understandable that the reason for the inconsistencies were due to mental health, you may want to highlight your ability to persist despite these setbacks

Although it will definitely feel extremely difficult and mentally draining (maybe feel a little untrue due to imposter syndrome), you want to spin your experiences as you overcoming your obstacles and that the setbacks were learning experiences which you used to improve, and then FOCUS on how and where you improved.

Firms want to see self-awareness and the willingness/drive to continuously improve and develop personally and professionally.

If you go in with this mindset, you will be able to highlight your strengths, and the firm will see that you have character and resilience. This will at the very least, improve your chances of success.

Reactions: laurabeaumont

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
May 30, 2023
Heya, sorry to hear about your tough time. But the fact that you improved in spite of your setbacks is certainly commendable

Likewise to Jess and Laura, while it is understandable that the reason for the inconsistencies were due to mental health, you may want to highlight your ability to persist despite these setbacks

Although it will definitely feel extremely difficult and mentally draining (maybe feel a little untrue due to imposter syndrome), you want to spin your experiences as you overcoming your obstacles and that the setbacks were learning experiences which you used to improve, and then FOCUS on how and where you improved.

Firms want to see self-awareness and the willingness/drive to continuously improve and develop personally and professionally.

If you go in with this mindset, you will be able to highlight your strengths, and the firm will see that you have character and resilience. This will at the very least, improve your chances of success.
Great advice @Sierra ! Thank you so much for your input :))

Reactions: Jaysen and Sierra

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.