How do you talk about experiences with other firms on an application?

AV2000

Jul 9, 2022
Hi, I could really use some advice with this. I am working on a first year scheme application for a firm, and am currently filling out the Work Experience Section. I am currently a Brand Ambassador for another firm, should I mention this as work experience? I have also not got much legal work experience, however I have completed some Forage Work Experience Programmes with 3 other firms. Would it be odd to mention them? The firm I'm applying to has it's own Forage programme, however I don't think I have time to complete it before the deadline. Would it look strange if I haven't done the firms Forage?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi, I could really use some advice with this. I am working on a first year scheme application for a firm, and am currently filling out the Work Experience Section. I am currently a Brand Ambassador for another firm, should I mention this as work experience? I have also not got much legal work experience, however I have completed some Forage Work Experience Programmes with 3 other firms. Would it be odd to mention them? The firm I'm applying to has it's own Forage programme, however I don't think I have time to complete it before the deadline. Would it look strange if I haven't done the firms Forage?
Yes, you should include any employment even if it’s with other firms.

Forage state that you shouldn’t include there programmes in work experience (although plenty of people do). But you can mention the programmes generally in your applications, in competency or motivational questions.

It isn’t an issue if you haven’t done the firm’s own virtual work experience programme.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.