Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey guys, I'm still finishing up the first of the Law Insights page (I'm hoping to finish it tomorrow). In the meantime, I'll post a few short articles I did on popular commercial-awareness interview questions. This one is about how a company can raise money. I go into more detail in the M&A guide, but I appreciate this might be a little more practical.

How a company raises finance
    If a company wants to raise money, there are two broad options: equity or debt.

Equity

The owners of a company are called shareholders. They invest money in a company in return for shares – like pieces of ownership. A company can have one share owned by one shareholder. Larger companies can have millions of shares across thousands of shareholders.

A company must run big decisions by its shareholders in a vote. For most companies, one share gives you one vote. So the more shares you have, the more influence you have over a company.

Equity finance means selling more shares in a company for capital. If you’ve watched Dragons Den, that’s exactly what people are doing on there: they ask for say £100,000, in return for a 20% stake in their business. Public companies do this on a much larger scale, in what’s known as an Initial Public Offering or IPO.

Debt

I'll concentrate on the two big ways of raising finance through debt: a loan or a bond.

Loans

This is pretty simple, a company borrows a fixed sum, usually from a bank. It pays the bank back in instalments, with interest, over an agreed length of time.

Bonds

Think of these as a loan split up into many chunks but instead of a bank, there's a group of investors.

A company issues bonds to investors in return for money. Investors get the right to receive interest payments at regular intervals during the life of the bond. At a certain date, the bond ‘matures’ and the company pays the original sum back to investors.

Equity v debt

Generally speaking, if it’s a company with a healthy cash-flow and profits, debt is cheaper than equity; selling a stake in a business is a significant long-term cost. If a company is small and at risk of defaulting on payments, equity finance is much safer. You can also check out the comparison attached.

Equity v debt image.png

D

Deleted member 21

Hi Jaysen - how would you say the raising on tariffs and the so-called impending trade war will impact business and law firms? :) thanks!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.