How hard is it to pass the LPC?

AOD

Star Member
Future Trainee
Jan 21, 2021
Hi there!

Do you mean same level of depth of the content of a certain topic for example I studied Commercial law elective on the LLB and did the same elective on the LPC and it covered very similar topics - the basics of the Sale of Goods Act but the difference is the LPC is practical so you will be advising a client whilst on the LLB it requires you to know the law, its history and write a few essays too. I did other similar electives and there was some overlap but on the LPC your focus shifts.

Or did you mean the level of difficulty? in which case as above, the practicality is what differs the LPC but doesn't make it difficult just a new type of learning :)

I hope this helps - happy to answer any other questions

Z
It does help a lot, thank you very much. I was thinking about the actual content. I wouldn't want to have to go through the same information when I can learn something new. 😊

Anonymously

Jan 29, 2021
I can't help with your question as I've not done the LPC but I was studying the GDL with them this year and it has been absolutely horrendous so I feel your pain. For one module I had no access to the online material. IT emailed to say they were working on it and they'd let me know when it was fixed. They never followed up. I contacted them again and got told they were working on it. I didn't get any access until after the exam. I then made a complaint to the uni and the uni said it's my fault I didn't have access because I should have contacted them sooner... except their email said that they knew it was an issue, were working to fix it and not to contact them! Also, some people studying online have had recorded lectures and tutorials for everything they would have had in person and some haven't had any recordings at all so it's completely inconsistent - and yet everyone sits the same exams and gets graded the same way. Someone I spoke to on LinkedIn just failed their LLM (that they were doing alongside their LPC) and said they'd never been assigned a supervisor or had any help with their dissertation. The scholarships team also "lost" my application for scholarships at the beginning of my course after doing the test (the wrong one - they gave me the one for students who had law degrees not non-law degrees) and my essay (that they gave me a 48 hour deadline on because they hadn't responded to my multiple emails in the previous six weeks).
Essentially, I really feel your pain and I'm sorry I can't be of any real help. The whole university is a complete shambles in m experience.
Hey, on the LLM with the LPC you don’t get a supervisor for the paper. It’s a 3000 word completely independent paper. No one in my group got a supervisor and everyone as far as I know was frustrated with that. Not sure why it’s like that with ULAW. I failed the paper as well and decided to opt out of the LLM and just receive my LPC award as repeating would’ve taken my grade from a Distinction to a Pass.

LegalNim

Legendary Member
Nov 14, 2019
Hey, on the LLM with the LPC you don’t get a supervisor for the paper. It’s a 3000 word completely independent paper. No one in my group got a supervisor and everyone as far as I know was frustrated with that. Not sure why it’s like that with ULAW. I failed the paper as well and decided to opt out of the LLM and just receive my LPC award as repeating would’ve taken my grade from a Distinction to a Pass.
That seems absurd to me. How are you supposed to do something with no guidance or support? I assume it's because it's only 3000 words, but still, seems stupid. I'm sorry that happened.

Reactions: Alison C

UM

Sep 22, 2021
Hi, are we able to do that? Can we opt-out? Does the university allow this? What would happen to the student finance loan which was granted for the LLM. I'm currently in a similar situation.

Tams_rams

Standard Member
Sep 25, 2021
I finished the LPC with ULaw in June and did all of the elective exams online. If you are really stressed and worried, my biggest piece of advice would be to buy legacy notes for all of the CPAs and electives. You can get them on eBay - they range in price but are worth every penny. They were an absolute life saver for me and everyone I knew at ULaw. They break down all of the modules by topic and a lot of them have flowcharts showing you how to answer problem questions.

They made up the bulk of my notes in all of my exams. I just annotated and added to them. If you do get them, make sure you actually go through them and organise them in a way that works for you. Everyone's mind works differently.
I truly believe that aside from the IPP exams, the LPC is more a test of your organisation than anything else. You have all of the information you need, you just need to make sure you know where to find it. Annotate, tab, highlight etc. and you will be fine!!

Also, one last thing - they won't examine you on things that haven't been covered in your workshops. So really focus on the topics that are covered in the guides (including consolidation) and you will do great!
TYSM for this!!

Could I PM you more about ULaw? Starting my LPC with them in a few months and need to pass to fulfill TC requirements.

NLaw18

Star Member
Feb 27, 2020
TYSM for this!!

Could I PM you more about ULaw? Starting my LPC with them in a few months and need to pass to fulfill TC requirements.
Totally agree with what Lisa has said! I had a pretty similar experience, I did mine from BPP tho. I did the core modules in person and the electives online and honestly it was so much easier doing the exams online since they were open book and as Lisa mentioned you can have all the notes in front of you, you just need to annotate them and I would suggest tabbing them unit wise as well like you would do for your statute books as that really helped me. In terms of the notes itself, I think ebay and stuvia both have a lot of options, I sell mine as well and if anyone's interested feel free to pm me about it or about the doing PC at BPP in general!

Ashleighhill840

Nov 3, 2021
You are absolutely right - the application of the law to the facts is what gets you the marks but I personally found that the legacy notes were like cheat sheets of what facts to pick out and apply!

What I found during the course was that the material was all OK and the workshops were very helpful, but when it came to preparing and organising notes to take into the exams, I struggled working out what the best method / approach was. That's where the legacy notes really helped me. Everyone learns differently of course! But if you are like me and you need a bit of inspiration I would recommend the notes!
You are absolutely right - the application of the law to the facts is what gets you the marks but I personally found that the legacy notes were like cheat sheets of what facts to pick out and apply!

What I found during the course was that the material was all OK and the workshops were very helpful, but when it came to preparing and organising notes to take into the exams, I struggled working out what the best method / approach was. That's where the legacy notes really helped me. Everyone learns differently of course! But if you are like me and you need a bit of inspiration I would recommend the notes!
Hi,
Is there any chance that you could send over a link for the legacy notes please? It would be a lot of help to me!

ashleigh

Ashleighhill840

Nov 3, 2021
I finished the LPC with ULaw in June and did all of the elective exams online. If you are really stressed and worried, my biggest piece of advice would be to buy legacy notes for all of the CPAs and electives. You can get them on eBay - they range in price but are worth every penny. They were an absolute life saver for me and everyone I knew at ULaw. They break down all of the modules by topic and a lot of them have flowcharts showing you how to answer problem questions.

They made up the bulk of my notes in all of my exams. I just annotated and added to them. If you do get them, make sure you actually go through them and organise them in a way that works for you. Everyone's mind works differently.
I truly believe that aside from the IPP exams, the LPC is more a test of your organisation than anything else. You have all of the information you need, you just need to make sure you know where to find it. Annotate, tab, highlight etc. and you will be fine!!

Also, one last thing - they won't examine you on things that haven't been covered in your workshops. So really focus on the topics that are covered in the guides (including consolidation) and you will do great!
Hi,
please could u send over the link for the legacy notes!! I wanna make sure i am buying the right ones :)

Yaeli

Nov 4, 2021
Hi All!

Some useful information here!!

I would really appreciate if you could give me some advise. I am a mother of three, the eldest being 4 and the youngest being 5 weeks old. I recently started my LPC online, full time.

I feel like I study and forget everything the next day, but all in all a lot of common sense needs to be used in order to complete the engaged tasks.

How likely do you think I am of passing the LPC? I literally have 3 hours a day ithroughout the week to work on the LPC. I recently had the thought of quitting now as I would owe less money if i do it before christmas than if I carry it outa and fail....

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

P.s. I am currently on maternity leave but will go back to work in February (Paralegal). I am 28 years old and have a training contract awaiting to start in Sept.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi All!

Some useful information here!!

I would really appreciate if you could give me some advise. I am a mother of three, the eldest being 4 and the youngest being 5 weeks old. I recently started my LPC online, full time.

I feel like I study and forget everything the next day, but all in all a lot of common sense needs to be used in order to complete the engaged tasks.

How likely do you think I am of passing the LPC? I literally have 3 hours a day ithroughout the week to work on the LPC. I recently had the thought of quitting now as I would owe less money if i do it before christmas than if I carry it outa and fail....

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

P.s. I am currently on maternity leave but will go back to work in February (Paralegal). I am 28 years old and have a training contract awaiting to start in Sept.
Hi @Yaeli, I am sorry that you've been struggling with your LPC.

I can completely understand your predicament, especially since the LPC is so demanding and not fully preparing for even a couple of weeks can make you feel like you've fallen so far behind. I can empathise with how overwhelming it must be to balance your studies with your child-caring responsibilities.

My best tip to maximise the three hours that you do have every day would be to skim through the reading, make detailed notes only during tutorials/seminars and consolidate them with LPC notes from dedicated publishers or previous students, which you can generally buy online. This way you're going to save time that you would have spent making and then structuring your own notes from the reading, which can be quite time-consuming. Once you've consolidated both sets of notes, refer to them while practising past papers to be exam-ready.

Please also keep your tutors informed of your personal circumstances and the fact that you've been struggling so that they can find ways to support and guide you so that you feel more comfortable with the course load.

As for your thoughts on quitting the LPC, I think it's best for me to bring in @Jessica Booker to advise you on going about it and how this would potentially play out with your TC beginning next September.

chi.c

Feb 11, 2021
I agree with this. I worked full-time whilst doing the LPC in the evenings and if I had to do urgent work, I would end up missing classes, which wasn't great. All in all, I didn't really have a great experience with class-room learning anyway as I found I worked more productively in my own time. The Law textbooks are good and the bought notes were a lifesaver for me too. I completely agree that organisation is key and the best piece of advice I can give is to organise your folders like you are going to take the exam the next day. That way when exams do hit, it won't feel so overwhelming and you can focus on the actual content.
Hi, I’m actually quite curious about how exactly you managed working full time and completing the LPC. I am not working full time but I have been prioritising TC applications and last term was just a bit of a mess for me so I found it really hard to do any readings. Similarly, I would also occasionally miss classes. I’m just really worried about prepping for my core LPC exams now, i.e. business law, real estate, disputes, as I feel as though there’s just so much work and readings for me to catch up on. Realistically, I probably won’t have the time to do complete readings but I have gotten legacy notes. Do you have any tips as to how I can effectively study everything in about 1.5 months? Would appreciate hearing about your experience too :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.