How important is it to do the LPC with your starting cohort?

Harky167

Junior Lawyer
Dec 14, 2021
Hello!

I have a TC which I am down to start in Feb 2024.
I've just been asked by my law firm to decide if I want to start my LPC early (Jan 2023) or do it with my cohort in July 2023.

Obviously, it would be most preferable to start in July with my entry cohort so I can get to know everybody better and feel more integrated.
On the other hand, July 2023 is 9 months away and I'm slightly worried that I'll forget everything from my GDL (which I finished June this year) and my brain will just lose momentum.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello!

I've just been asked by my law firm to decide if I want to start my LPC early (Jan 2023) or do it with my cohort in July 2023.

Obviously, it would be most preferable to start in July with my entry cohort so I can get to know everybody better and feel more integrated.
On the other hand, July 2023 is 9 months away and I'm slightly worried that I'll forget everything from my GDL (which I finished June this year) and my brain will just lose momentum.

Thanks!
You will get to know the earlier cohort though (that is by no means a bad thing - you'll have people/friends you know who are six months ahead of you that you can seek advice/guidance from). You could also put effort in to get to know your trainee cohort through other means outside of studying the LPC.

Given both of those things, I don't think it is very important at all.

The gap in knowledge point could also apply to the LPC to TC gap too though.

But even then, I don't think the gap is that big enough to worry about it. I would go with whatever start date works best for you and what you want to do with the time you will have out.

HopefulFutureTrainee

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Mar 23, 2022
    Hello!

Thanks!
    Hi! I am currently doing my LPC outside of London, and most of the other future trainees from my firm are doing it together in Holborn. Despite this, I don't feel excluded or anything - we have a group chat where we communicate from time to time, and we will meet when we go to firm events, so I agree with what Jessica said above in terms of choosing what works best for you.

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    I would get started ono it as you can get to know the other trainees in due course anyway. It is not really like going to university at 18 and making friends for life. Best to get on with it so it is over and done with quickly.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.