'How many firms have you applied to' question

B_16610

Jul 29, 2021
I am currently working on the JMW application and one of the questions asks:
How many firms have you applied to, in which geographical locations, and why have you applied to those firms?
Does anyone have any tips how to tackle a question like this? Should I list an honest number of all the firms during my undergraduate studies (I am starting LPC this September), or only during this application cycle?

Thanks for any input!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I am currently working on the JMW application and one of the questions asks:

Does anyone have any tips how to tackle a question like this? Should I list an honest number of all the firms during my undergraduate studies (I am starting LPC this September), or only during this application cycle?

Thanks for any input!
It really depends what your answer is. If your applications are focused on specific strands that tie into what JWM can offer, that is fine. If it’s a scatter gun approach or there isn’t much of a theme between the other firms you have applied to and JWM, you may want to play it down.

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
It really depends what your answer is. If your applications are focused on specific strands that tie into what JWM can offer, that is fine. If it’s a scatter gun approach or there isn’t much of a theme between the other firms you have applied to and JWM, you may want to play it down.
Hello @Jessica Booker Could you please answer one question related to this post. What if we've only applied to one more firm other than the firm that we are interviewing at. Does it go down well? I initially wanted to do 3 applications but I balancing my final year exams and projects and writing applications, attending multiple events etc is very hard. I would rather do 2 applications to the best of my abilities rather than doing 3 average ones. So, should we be honest with this or just tell them that I was only interested in two firms from the start. My concern is, maybe they tell me the name of some of their rivals and ask me why I didn't apply to them?

Thanks in advance.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker Could you please answer one question related to this post. What if we've only applied to one more firm other than the firm that we are interviewing at. Does it go down well? I initially wanted to do 3 applications but I balancing my final year exams and projects and writing applications, attending multiple events etc is very hard. I would rather do 2 applications to the best of my abilities rather than doing 3 average ones. So, should we be honest with this or just tell them that I was only interested in two firms from the start. My concern is, maybe they tell me the name of some of their rivals and ask me why I didn't apply to them?

Thanks in advance.
My only concern with this is that this potentially puts into question your time management skills. Many firms could question that other people manage to submit multiple applications well. You could talk about this being the start of your process and that you have prioritised the most important applications in this cycle.

But remember to also focus on what made you choose those two firms rather than just going into detail as to why you only chose two.

Reactions: AvniD

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Cou
My only concern with this is that this potentially puts into question your time management skills. Many firms could question that other people manage to submit multiple applications well. You could talk about this being the start of your process and that you have prioritised the most important applications in this cycle.

But remember to also focus on what made you choose those two firms rather than just going into detail as to why you only chose two.
Could you please explain what you mean by " this being the start of your process"? I think if I ever make it to the interview, it will be held in Jan/Feb most probably and by then most other Direct TC apps would've closed. Do you mean that I should tell them that this is my first application cycle and then explain why I have chosen to zero in on these 2 firms only?

What would be a good number here? Do you think I apply to 'x' number of firms just for the heck of it?

My honest reason is that I'm trying to prepare answers to the questions that these firms have asked in their interviews. I know it sounds crazy stupid but I know that in Jan, Feb etc next year, when these firms hold their ACs, they usually just inform you one week-two weeks before your AC day, for my final year in college, I have to write a dissertation + undergo 3 months of compulsory internship and all this needs to be done January onwards. I know that I won't really get the time to do anything after December and I don't want to make it to an AC and get rejected after it, hence I want to prepare to the best of my abilities.

What should I do, I'm really confused.

Thanks in advance.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Cou

Could you please explain what you mean by " this being the start of your process"? I think if I ever make it to the interview, it will be held in Jan/Feb most probably and by then most other Direct TC apps would've closed. Do you mean that I should tell them that this is my first application cycle and then explain why I have chosen to zero in on these 2 firms only?

What would be a good number here? Do you think I apply to 'x' number of firms just for the heck of it?

My honest reason is that I'm trying to prepare answers to the questions that these firms have asked in their interviews. I know it sounds crazy stupid but I know that in Jan, Feb etc next year, when these firms hold their ACs, they usually just inform you one week-two weeks before your AC day, for my final year in college, I have to write a dissertation + undergo 3 months of compulsory internship and all this needs to be done January onwards. I know that I won't really get the time to do anything after December and I don't want to make it to an AC and get rejected after it, hence I want to prepare to the best of my abilities.

Thanks in advance.
Think of it this way, what would you choose to do if you were unsuccessful for those two firms? I am assuming then you would choose to reevaluate and then consider other firms or other jurisdictions. If that was the case, this would be the start of the process.

Kubed

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    Cou

Thanks in advance.
    I hope you don't mind me jumping in here but if I were you, I wouldn't get too fixated on what you might potentially be asked in a hypothetical interview in the future. Focus on making the applications now and think about the next stages when you get to them.

I would also say that it is unfortunately a bit of a numbers game - you can put all your time and effort into two applications only to be rejected by both or you could plan your time and do a few more - this just gives you a bit of breathing space in case you only progress in a few of your applications. There isn't really a set number you would be advised to apply to - this depends on your individual circumstances. For context, I applied to 9 firms, got 3 interviews, did two vac schemes and was made two TC offers. I was also working a full-time job at the same time - saying this just to convey that it is possible and time management is super important!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.