How much does applying near the deadline affect my chances for rolling applications?

ginevrafanshawe

• Aug 12, 2022
    Hi all!

One of my top choice firms has vacation scheme applications open from early Sep to mid Dec. Their applications are rolling, so I was going to apply in Sep or early Oct. However, their firm open day is in early Nov. Is it better to wait until after the open day to apply (as I can talk about it in my application to show that I know and care about the firm) or is is better to apply earlier because of the rolling applications?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all!

One of my top choice firms has vacation scheme applications open from early Sep to mid Dec. Their applications are rolling, so I was going to apply in Sep or early Oct. However, their firm open day is in early Nov. Is it better to wait until after the open day to apply (as I can talk about it in my application to show that I know and care about the firm) or is is better to apply earlier because of the rolling applications?

Thanks in advance for any replies!
    My general rule is if you apply in the first two-thirds of an application window, you would be fine.

So my theory would be to apply for the open day, if you get on it then wait (as they will be actively looking for the open day attendees to then apply, otherwise they wouldn't run the open day that close to the deadline of the vac scheme), and if you don't get the open day, then apply for the vacation scheme ahead of the open day anyway.

Reactions: Erin and AvniD

trainee25_

Nov 19, 2022
    Hi, I’m close to the deadline now for a firm ( a couple of weeks) but was hoping to attend their presentation evening at my university. That was then pushed back by two weeks to Monday. Is it worth even applying now? Application will only be open a week after I can submit by.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, I’m close to the deadline now for a firm ( a couple of weeks) but was hoping to attend their presentation evening at my university. That was then pushed back by two weeks to Monday. Is it worth even applying now? Application will only be open a week after I can submit by.
    Yes, I would still apply. Applications will still be open. Maybe draft your application and have most of it ready to go so that you can apply shortly after the event.

Reactions: AvniD

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.