How much does salary differ between practice areas at the same firm?

ginevrafanshawe

• Aug 12, 2022
    Hi everyone,

I've recently come across some articles, blog posts etc which suggest that areas such as pensions and employment have a much better work-life balance than areas like M&A and private equity. However, I've also seen that it's common for firms to structure their salary scale by years of experience.

So, if there are two people at the same firm with the same number of years of experience, but one is in an area with much better work-life balance and the other is frequently doing 12 hour days, do they still get paid the same salary? Is it perhaps the same base salary, but the one with longer hours gets a bigger bonus?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone,

I've recently come across some articles, blog posts etc which suggest that areas such as pensions and employment have a much better work-life balance than areas like M&A and private equity. However, I've also seen that it's common for firms to structure their salary scale by years of experience.

So, if there are two people at the same firm with the same number of years of experience, but one is in an area with much better work-life balance and the other is frequently doing 12 hour days, do they still get paid the same salary? Is it perhaps the same base salary, but the one with longer hours gets a bigger bonus?

Thanks in advance for any replies!
    Many firms will work on a salary band rather than a fixed figure like you have as a trainee.

So certain departments might be at the higher end of that band.

Performance bonuses will also create quite a difference in total salary.

Lisa Lowe

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 26, 2019
    Many firms will work on a salary band rather than a fixed figure like you have as a trainee.

So certain departments might be at the higher end of that band.

Performance bonuses will also create quite a difference in total salary.
    Thanks Jessica.

Do the departments that bring in more money for the firm pay at the higher end of each band? E.g. how does a law firm determine which departments can pay at the higher end of bands?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks Jessica.

Do the departments that bring in more money for the firm pay at the higher end of each band? E.g. how does a law firm determine which departments can pay at the higher end of bands?
    Salary bands also depend on individual performance, (although for some firms individual performance in part will be measured/calculated by billable hours).

But you could be a exceptional performer in one department and work fewer hours than another colleague who has a lower performance rating but is working higher

Some firms may also calculate, in part, performance (and therefore bonus) by department performance too though.

There’s so many variables at play here, it’s hard to give a clear if you do this you’ll get more money.

As there is no one way remuneration is calculated, it’s always best to find out from your firm how it works (or the firm you are looking to move to).

Reactions: Lisa Lowe

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    Q1. Does anyone know of any article that talks about the salary difference between the silver circle and the magic circle law firms beyond the NQ level and basically how the gap widens year on year?

Q2. How common and easy is it to do the TC with an SC firm and then move on to an MC right after your TC? Do people do it all the time or is it not that common?

I'd be really grateful if someone could answer these questions as well.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Q1. Does anyone know of any article that talks about the salary difference between the silver circle and the magic circle law firms beyond the NQ level and basically how the gap widens year on year?

Q2. How common and easy is it to do the TC with an SC firm and then move on to an MC right after your TC? Do people do it all the time or is it not that common?

1) not entirely up to date, but gives you a rough indication of salary differences: https://www.rollonfriday.com/inside-info

2) It happens - although how common will vary between firms, practice areas and even demand in the market at the time. I wouldn’t say it happens all the time - but it does happen.

Kubed

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020

Just to add to the above for Q2 - you can do quite detailed searches using the 'Advanced Search' function on LinkedIn if you have any two specific firms in mind. It will throw up a list of individuals who've made the moves you're interested in.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.