How to answer "Describe outside interest/activities and responsibilities held"

GimmeATCPls

Mar 8, 2024
Hey there. Applying for a vac scheme and within the application, the firm has asked to describe any involvements with outside interests and activities, including any positions of responsibility held.

I was President of the Law Society and did some mooting, which I put down in my answers. But I've used those examples for every question, such as 'what sets me apart' and 'what are the skills of a solicitor' and I used those examples. Should I do something else? I genuinely don't really have anything else..

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hey there. Applying for a vac scheme and within the application, the firm has asked to describe any involvements with outside interests and activities, including any positions of responsibility held.

I was President of the Law Society and did some mooting, which I put down in my answers. But I've used those examples for every question, such as 'what sets me apart' and 'what are the skills of a solicitor' and I used those examples. Should I do something else? I genuinely don't really have anything else..
You can still talk about them perhaps emphasising a different angle to these experiences or focusing on specific events or things you have done to describe your interests. I think that in this answer you should focus more on your personal interests in these positions/organisations.

Alternatively, think back on social clubs you took part in in high school. Was there anything interesting that you could mention. I was doing my master but I did briefly mention my debate experiences made in high school so it is totally acceptable to do that.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.