How to answer "most important rewards" in law (Akin Gump App)

wwood

Distinguished Member
Jan 19, 2019
Hi all, I have two questions.

First, I am wondering how to answer this question: "What are the most important rewards you expect in your career?" (250 words max)

Second, a cover letter must be uploaded, so the motivational questions seem quite repetitive to me. These are all the questions in the app:
  • Why have you chosen a legal career in [country]? Explain what motivates you.
  • What attracts you to Akin Gump and how do you consider you would add value during an internship/training contract in our office?
  • Describe a particularly challenging experience you have faced and the way you dealt with it.
  • Identify a current commercial issue which has recently attracted your attention. Why do you consider it to be significant? Who are the key stakeholders in this situation and what are the implications for those concerned?
  • Please give details of any prizes, scholarships, positions of responsibility and any other noteworthy achievements that will support your application.
I'm not sure what approach I should take? Would love to hear advice from you all :) Many thanks, hope you all are safe.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
The first question is not a trick one. You just need to explain what you will find personally rewarding or benefit from in a career in law.

If it was me, I’d let the cover letter focus more heavily on the “why me” not necessarily covered by the other questions.

wwood

Distinguished Member
Jan 19, 2019
The first question is not a trick one. You just need to explain what you will find personally rewarding or benefit from in a career in law.

If it was me, I’d let the cover letter focus more heavily on the “why me” not necessarily covered by the other questions.

Thank you so much, Jessica! I find it hard to answer because it does look like "why law" to me. I'm not sure how to differentiate between both questions. Many thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you so much, Jessica! I find it hard to answer because it does look like "why law" to me. I'm not sure how to differentiate between both questions. Many thanks!

In some ways it is - but it is focusing on what you will be energised from/what’s going to make you happy.

There isn’t a “why law” question elsewhere. Only a why law in this country. They are two different questions with different answers.

wwood

Distinguished Member
Jan 19, 2019
In some ways it is - but it is focusing on what you will be energised from/what’s going to make you happy.

There isn’t a “why law” question elsewhere. Only a why law in this country. They are two different questions with different answers.

Thanks Jessica. So, for "why law in this country", I should focus on the geographical location? E.g. say that it is a global financial centre etc? Even if I was born in that country I am applying to? Many thanks!! :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks Jessica. So, for "why law in this country", I should focus on the geographical location? E.g. say that it is a global financial centre etc? Even if I was born in that country I am applying to? Many thanks!! :)

It doesn't have to just be about it being a global financial centre (same could be said for many other locations). If it is as simple as you were born there and want to live there medium-to-long term, that is something to make clear too. But you have to explain why law there too.

wwood

Distinguished Member
Jan 19, 2019
It doesn't have to just be about it being a global financial centre (same could be said for many other locations). If it is as simple as you were born there and want to live there medium-to-long term, that is something to make clear too. But you have to explain why law there too.

Many thanks Jessica!!! :) :) :) Hope you have a wonderful day!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.