How to approach a business case study

Discussion in 'Interviews Discussion' started by James Smith, Jun 19, 2020.

1. James Smith

James Smith New Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hello everyone!

I’m an enthusiastic follower of this forum, though I haven’t posted anything before. I’ve a TC interview with a Silver Circle firm early next week, which will include a business case study. We haven’t been given additional information on it, so I suppose no specific preparation is possible, such as reading up on M&A. What’re your tips on how to approach a business case study? How do you structure your thinking and answer, for instance with “PESTLE”? etc.

I agree this is a very board question, but any tip would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

James

2. Romiras

Romiras Esteemed Member
    Trainee

TCLA Credits:
    PESTLE / SWOT is a fine structure. However, it is often the case very hard to apply within the time constraints, and it may detract from the 'key' opportunities and 'key' concerns in play. Always try and think about the client (and other stakeholders involved). Try to consider whether you are acting as a business adviser or a law firm, and then use your capacity / capabilities to inform your answer / solution. Try to be able to identify the biggest concern for your client.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Ar2016

Ar2016 Star Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hi James! I have a virtual interview coming up with a case study. Would you mind telling how your experience was and what tips/advice you would give? Many thanks :) @James Smith

4. Danielle

Danielle Standard Member
    Future Trainee

TCLA Credits:
    Hi! I structured mine using SWOT (so I used each part as a subheading), and then fed PESTLE and Porters Five Forces analysis into the SWOT structure. I found this to be particularly beneficial as the PESTLE and Porters 5 considerations really did fill up the bulk of the content for my answer!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. W

W Legendary Member

TCLA Credits:
    Thanks for this! What’s the main difference between the T (threats) in SWOT and the considerations taken in porters fives forces?

6. Danielle

Danielle Standard Member
    Future Trainee

TCLA Credits:
    I would just say mainly that threats in SWOT can go beyond just the considerations in Porter's 5 and consider wider issues, as Porter's 5 Forces contains quite specific considerations. But the two definitely overlap, a SWOT analysis just has the potential to include more issues than Porter's 5.

• Like Like x 1
  7. W

W Legendary Member

TCLA Credits:
    Got ya, thanks

8. Adam Gilchrist

Adam Gilchrist Well-Known Member
    Future Trainee

TCLA Credits:
    • Useful Useful x 1