How to approach this 600 word question for Clifford Chance

Hazal

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 25, 2018
Clifford Chance have chosen to be a bit radical this year by asking applicants (I believe it's their only question?):

You have told us about your academic achievements and work experience and now, in no more than 600 words, we are keen to hear more about you. This should include your extra-curricular activities, positions of responsibility and an achievement of importance which you are most proud of.
I get that this question will need a systematic approach, ticking off each point as it asks you to above. BUT, what about the writing style? I want it to flow well, almost like a story, but is this a requirement? Should I attempt to link everything so it becomes a painted picture of me, or should I be systematic and answer each bit like a check-list, attempting to make what I'm saying clear-cut and readable?

Let me know what you guys think!

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Clifford Chance have chosen to be a bit radical this year by asking applicants (I believe it's their only question?):

You have told us about your academic achievements and work experience and now, in no more than 600 words, we are keen to hear more about you. This should include your extra-curricular activities, positions of responsibility and an achievement of importance which you are most proud of.
    I get that this question will need a systematic approach, ticking off each point as it asks you to above. BUT, what about the writing style? I want it to flow well, almost like a story, but is this a requirement? Should I attempt to link everything so it becomes a painted picture of me, or should I be systematic and answer each bit like a check-list, attempting to make what I'm saying clear-cut and readable?

You're right in that it's there only specific question but they also leave the option of adding a cover letter/references etc. as additional documents. I think adding a cover letter would be the correct thing to do and certainly won't hinder your application.

Re the question itself, I tried to make mine flow as much as possible. Like you say, I think doing it this way shows you have a better ability to link ideas together, and perhaps possess better-written skills than someone who just does 3 separate paragraphs. I think this linking of ideas is also part of the skill that they could be assessing here too.

Reactions: Salma, Hazal and gricole

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

Very interesting question. When you say link everything, how would you go about doing that? What would the paragraph topics be?

Hazal

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 25, 2018
    @Daniel Boden good luck with your application!

Very interesting question. When you say link everything, how would you go about doing that? What would the paragraph topics be?
    Well when I hear a recruiter say "more about you" I interpret it to mean, they literally want to get that painted picture I mentioned, instead of an aggregate of your individual achievements and skills. So linking everything would be my motivations and what drives me, leading me to why I chose to do those extra-curriculars and took on those positions. Naturally, my greatest achievement would probably fall into either of these categories.

In terms of paragraph topic, I might not attempt to be that systematic. I'd probably go chronologically, or base it around different motivations (when I say this I mean things like love of writing = my role in student journalism or my compassionate personality = volunteering positions of responsibility). I'm not really making this easy for myself and this tactic might go terribly wrong, but I think it would just be a case of trial and error with the writing

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden

Abstruser

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Jul 19, 2018

HSF had a similar 600-word question for their VS last year: "Please tell us what you are proud of achieving whether at school, university, volunteering or otherwise. What have you learnt from these experiences and why do you think they are relevant to a career in law at Herbert Smith Freehills?"

I've not contemplated applying to CC so I'm not very familiar with them as a firm, but I got through to AC with HSF last year on this similar question, so I thought I'd share how I'd approach this kind of question.
    • It would probably be a good idea to look through CC's core competencies, and see if there are a few (or all!) that you might be able to centre your answer around. For example, my answer was centred heavily around one of HSF's core competencies, which was resilience. I made sure that I underlined my personal resilience in both my chosen achievement and the extra-curricular activities I chose to talk about.
    • I believe this kind of question is really a great opportunity to showcase your personality through your writing, so if you want to write in a narrative style, I think you should go for it! My answer was definitely written in a very personal, 'painted picture' style, which I think helped make my experiences sound more 'real' and convincing.
    • With a slightly lengthier 600 word question, signposting is key! Each paragraph I wrote discussed distinct and separate topics, so I wrote about 1) My important achievement 2) First set of extra-curricular activities 3) Second set of extra-curricular activities 4) Why HSF. I tried to make the starting sentence of each paragraph very succinct, so that the reader would be able to see what the paragraph would be discussing from the first sentence alone. Also, I wrote 4 paragraphs, but you could write more or less depending on your preference.
    • I think (but am not sure) that it would be a good idea to link some of your answer back to CC and how your achievements and activities make you a good fit for the firm. This was explicit in the HSF question, so I chose to talk about a recent deal that the firm had completed, and how resilience was relevant in finding a breakthrough solution for their client. Edit: As others have noted below, CC does not require you to link the answer back to the firm! :)
    Hope you find this helpful in some way!

Last edited:

Sandrou

Esteemed Member
    Feb 28, 2018

Hello.

Clifford Chance have kept the same application questions from last year.

I was successful on the application & AC.

The approach I took is as follows:

1) first and foremost make sure there are ZERO typos or errors.

2) question one asks for scholarships, prizes etc: I talked about my academic achievements as well as some scholarships I’ve received. Do not simply list achievements. State the award/scholarship you was awarded and when.
    This is your opportunity to sell yourself. So for e.g, if I was the highest scoring student, I would mention the number of students I scored higher than etc.
    Conclude by stating how these awards & scholarships align with CC’s high achieving nature, perhaps give a stat (research the firm).

3) question 2, simply answer the question. Talk about your extra-curriculas (try and give a wide viarity, volunteering, positions of responsibility etc).
    Finally I used around 250 words to explain my proudest achievement. Here, I used the STAR method and gave an example of my drive & resilience (traits that CC look for in their trainees, as per the firms 2017 brochure) which led to my achievement.

Ultimately, make sure you practice the Watson glaser test because they will NOT consider your app if you fail the test. Leave ample time to practice. If you pass the test and your app is strong, the turnaround time is about 2weeks. I.e from application to AC.

Good luck.

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Thanks @Sandrou, I am also preparing my TC app to CC so the advice and tips you have provided above are invaluable. Thanks a bunch.

Also with the 600 word question, did you relate aspects of your extracurricular activities to the firm? (I have not but would like to get your opinion on it)

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    @Daniel Boden good luck with your application!

Well when I hear a recruiter say "more about you" I interpret it to mean, they literally want to get that painted picture I mentioned, instead of an aggregate of your individual achievements and skills. So linking everything would be my motivations and what drives me, leading me to why I chose to do those extra-curriculars and took on those positions. Naturally, my greatest achievement would probably fall into either of these categories.

In terms of paragraph topic, I might not attempt to be that systematic. I'd probably go chronologically, or base it around different motivations (when I say this I mean things like love of writing = my role in student journalism or my compassionate personality = volunteering positions of responsibility). I'm not really making this easy for myself and this tactic might go terribly wrong, but I think it would just be a case of trial and error with the writing

And you Hazal! I submitted mine around 6 weeks ago and passed the Watson Glaser so have just been waiting till the 16th December...

Reactions: Hazal

Sandrou

Esteemed Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Point to note, I never added a cover letter. However some people may choose to do so, it's a matter of preference really.

To answer your question @Salma, I did not link my 600 word answer to CC. The question asks about YOU! And therefore you should answer what the question asks.

As mentioned above, the firm really look at your writing style, hence why I mentioned that there should be ZERO typos and errors etc. Thousands and thousands of people apply to CC and therefore if the Watson Glaser doesn't cut out the majority of those people, poorly written applications and small errors will undoubtedly result in rejection.

Bare in mind, CC operate a blind Assessment Centre. I.e., Competency interview and Case study/Presentation with Partners. The Partners do NOT get a chance to see your application or CV. As such, this allows you to completely sell yourself and drive the interview in your favour (The case study heavily focuses on commercial awareness nonetheless and is fairly complex). As such, plenty of discretion lies with the Grad team to pick the very best candidates on paper to appear in front of the Partners.

A well written application with a variety of Extra-Curriculars and positions of responsibility coupled with strong 'Achievement' will go a long way.

J Wu

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    You're right in that it's there only specific question but they also leave the option of adding a cover letter/references etc. as additional documents. I think adding a cover letter would be the correct thing to do and certainly won't hinder your application.

On the issue of cover letters, the descriptions for all CC schemes this year state, "Please do NOT upload a covering letter as THIS WILL NOT BE REVIEWED."

Mimi

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 21, 2018
    Hey, I attended CC's Open Day. Their advice was to answer the 600 word question as is - so talk about your achievements as they want to know more about you. With regards to connecting it back to the firm, you can do this within the work experience section if you have interacted with firm as this does not have a word count.

They also said there is no requirement to include a Cover Letter as it is not going to be reviewed - the application is specifically about you as they will ask questions regarding your interest in the firm during the video interview.

• 🏆
    Reactions: Hazal, Salma and Jaysen

Mimi

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 21, 2018
    @Daniel Boden The application deadline is on 15th December, do I have to complete the test before that date ?

I would contact CC as from what I recall from the Open Day, they said that the closer you submit your application for VS/TC to the deadline, the less time you have to complete the test i.e. rather than having seven days it may only be two or five days but I cannot fully remember.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Eva

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Mar 24, 2018
    I would contact CC as from what I recall from the Open Day, they said that the closer you submit your application for VS/TC to the deadline, the less time you have to complete the test i.e. rather than having seven days it may only be two or five days but I cannot fully remember.

Yes - I got the same response from CC recruitment team as well: the closer you submit your application to the deadline, the less time you have to complete the time. I think it's two days.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.