How to deal with overlapping vac schemes?

ESE

Standard Member
Dec 14, 2018
I recently completed a VS assessment centre, but realised that this firm’s scheme overlaps with one at another firm that I already formally accepted. I have a callback from the gradrec partner today. If I’m offered the second scheme, how would you recommend responding? Do you think it’s worth asking if they can accommodate me in some way (e.g. switching to the spring scheme, doing the first week of the scheme, or at worst just going direct to a TC interview)? The firms were essentially my top two choices, so I don’t want to burn bridges or make this a totally wasted acceptance if I get it. Thanks guys!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I recently completed a VS assessment centre, but realised that this firm’s scheme overlaps with one at another firm that I already formally accepted. I have a callback from the gradrec partner today. If I’m offered the second scheme, how would you recommend responding? Do you think it’s worth asking if they can accommodate me in some way (e.g. switching to the spring scheme, doing the first week of the scheme, or at worst just going direct to a TC interview)? The firms were essentially my top two choices, so I don’t want to burn bridges or make this a totally wasted acceptance if I get it. Thanks guys!

Yes, I would definitely ask, in that order. I've seen firms allow students to do all of those options.

When you ask, just make it clear how this firm is your top choice/how keen you are to do the vac scheme.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.