Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
It’s going to hurt particularly bad straight after being unsuccessful. Just because it feels like that now, doesn’t mean it will feel like that next week, next month, next quarter or next year.

There are so many stories from our members who have been in your situation this time last year and have gone on to be successful at a better firm for them this year.

Give yourself the time to not worry about applications over the next few weeks (helps that very few applications are open at the moment). Do things you enjoy, that will bring you happiness and enjoyment, treat yourself. Maybe even take time off from LinkedIn and I hate to say it, even the TCLA forums so you just have some distance from the topic for a while.

And then when it gets to mid-late September you’ll be in a stronger mindset to start again.

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
I got my first TC rejection today after doing a virtual vac scheme with the firm. I put my everything into this and right now I know I need to build myself up again and motivate myself for next cycle but I just feel so drained, burnt out and disappointed that I'm not really sure how to go about doing this...

Sorry to hear about your rejection. The first thing to remember is that the vast majority of applicants do not get a Training Contract. If you think, the MC firms get 6000 applications a year, and at best, offer under 100 places... the odd's are already stacked against you.

You have done well enough to get on to a VS, again, no mean feat. Ensure you build upon that successful application for use this cycle. The cycle is back open again so you can immediately get back on the grind.

You may have seen me post about the success I've had this year. I have been very fortunate. But, this did not come without rejection. In the first year, I made 7 first-year scheme applications and only score a couple. While this was a success for sure, the most important one (CC, as they were offering TC's) I did not get. I know that feeling of rejection. I know how anxious it can make you feel when you see others succeeding. Of course, people do not post their rejections, so it seems like everyone is succeeding when you are failing. This is simply not true, I promise you.

One thing is absolutely certain though - TCLA can help you massively. There are the tools and resources that can help you succeed here. There are also other organisations that do an exceptional job in their field (think: AS, RARE, etc). The cycle is a long one, so you have a lot of time. While I'd always advise, get working on your applications as early as possible, it can be hard after feeling some pain. Give yourself some time out, but then channel that positive energy as Jessica suggests. You've achieved a VS last cycle, there is absolutely no way you cant do it again. And this time, in your interview, you will have the benefit of hindsight.

Best of luck this year. You can do it!

jan28

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 12, 2019
I felt the exact same way after I received my rejection post-VS from what I thought was my dream firm. Today I feel it too - maybe it’s the gloomy weather (which I’m lowkey v grateful for!!) that has also impacted my mood.

But few weeks on after being rejected, and having had my feedback call, I’m in a much better mindset. It almost all makes sense! I know where I went wrong in the final assessments and interview. And when competition is as tough as it is, I don’t even blame them for nitpicking the smallest things to make their decision. I also know what I liked and didn’t like about the firm and I know now what I really want from a firm. I’ve now started planning for the new cycle and feel so much more motivated than I did when I received that horrible email.

Give yourself some time, time really does heal (as cringe as it sounds:oops:).

Zoo

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Apr 21, 2019
It took me three cycles to get my vacation schemes and TC offer so I completely understand the sting of rejection, particularly after you’ve done a vacation scheme and got to know the firm.

In terms of dealing with the rejection, I completely agree with what everyone else has said. Take a break from the legal world and application process. Try to do things that you enjoy, especially if you’ve neglected them recently for the sake of your applications and vac scheme. When you are ready, reflect on what you can improve in the next cycle.

You have done so well to get a vacation scheme and you have managed to get legal experience during a pandemic, which many people are struggling to do! Be kind to yourself and be proud of what you have achieved. You are in a great position going into the next application cycle with a vac scheme under your belt.

nisadee

Valued Member
Oct 9, 2019
I felt the exact same way after I received my rejection post-VS from what I thought was my dream firm. Today I feel it too - maybe it’s the gloomy weather (which I’m lowkey v grateful for!!) that has also impacted my mood.

But few weeks on after being rejected, and having had my feedback call, I’m in a much better mindset. It almost all makes sense! I know where I went wrong in the final assessments and interview. And when competition is as tough as it is, I don’t even blame them for nitpicking the smallest things to make their decision. I also know what I liked and didn’t like about the firm and I know now what I really want from a firm. I’ve now started planning for the new cycle and feel so much more motivated than I did when I received that horrible email.

Give yourself some time, time really does heal (as cringe as it sounds:oops:).

Thank you for sharing your experience - I really relate to this a lot. I'm waiting for the feedback call too.

nisadee

Valued Member
Oct 9, 2019
It took me three cycles to get my vacation schemes and TC offer so I completely understand the sting of rejection, particularly after you’ve done a vacation scheme and got to know the firm.

In terms of dealing with the rejection, I completely agree with what everyone else has said. Take a break from the legal world and application process. Try to do things that you enjoy, especially if you’ve neglected them recently for the sake of your applications and vac scheme. When you are ready, reflect on what you can improve in the next cycle.

You have done so well to get a vacation scheme and you have managed to get legal experience during a pandemic, which many people are struggling to do! Be kind to yourself and be proud of what you have achieved. You are in a great position going into the next application cycle with a vac scheme under your belt.

Thank you! :')

• 🤝
Reactions: Zoo

nisadee

Valued Member
Oct 9, 2019
Sorry to hear about your rejection. The first thing to remember is that the vast majority of applicants do not get a Training Contract. If you think, the MC firms get 6000 applications a year, and at best, offer under 100 places... the odd's are already stacked against you.

You have done well enough to get on to a VS, again, no mean feat. Ensure you build upon that successful application for use this cycle. The cycle is back open again so you can immediately get back on the grind.

You may have seen me post about the success I've had this year. I have been very fortunate. But, this did not come without rejection. In the first year, I made 7 first-year scheme applications and only score a couple. While this was a success for sure, the most important one (CC, as they were offering TC's) I did not get. I know that feeling of rejection. I know how anxious it can make you feel when you see others succeeding. Of course, people do not post their rejections, so it seems like everyone is succeeding when you are failing. This is simply not true, I promise you.

One thing is absolutely certain though - TCLA can help you massively. There are the tools and resources that can help you succeed here. There are also other organisations that do an exceptional job in their field (think: AS, RARE, etc). The cycle is a long one, so you have a lot of time. While I'd always advise, get working on your applications as early as possible, it can be hard after feeling some pain. Give yourself some time out, but then channel that positive energy as Jessica suggests. You've achieved a VS last cycle, there is absolutely no way you cant do it again. And this time, in your interview, you will have the benefit of hindsight.

Best of luck this year. You can do it!

Thank you! This is really helpful!

nisadee

Valued Member
Oct 9, 2019
It’s going to hurt particularly bad straight after being unsuccessful. Just because it feels like that now, doesn’t mean it will feel like that next week, next month, next quarter or next year.

There are so many stories from our members who have been in your situation this time last year and have gone on to be successful at a better firm for them this year.

Give yourself the time to not worry about applications over the next few weeks (helps that very few applications are open at the moment). Do things you enjoy, that will bring you happiness and enjoyment, treat yourself. Maybe even take time off from LinkedIn and I hate to say it, even the TCLA forums so you just have some distance from the topic for a while.

And then when it gets to mid-late September you’ll be in a stronger mindset to start again.

Thank you, I will do.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.