How to demonstrate commitment to law as non-law

cls33

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 3, 2022
Hi,

This question has probably been asked before, but I couldn't find anything when using the search tool. I have a direct TC interview soon and I want to be prepared to answer why law. I have many good points for why commercial law since I am studying a business degree (such as client-facing, international, versatile), but I feel I should be able to convey why the law specifically (for example if questioned on why not consultant/IB)

The only motivation I can think of is that the law provides a solid framework. At times during my degree, I would find certain business modules general and almost a bit waffly, and I believe the law provides a rigid framework to work with whilst also being able to consider the wider economic environment.

I feel as a law student it is easier to demonstrate commitment to black letter law itself as you have studied ins and outs, but as non-law i'm not sure how to sound more convincing.

Would appreciate any advice!

curious_cat

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Mar 21, 2021
Hello, I had to justify this to every person I met on my vac schemes as well as the TC interview.

The rigid framework is a good start but your answer needs to be a bit more concrete than that. The way I framed it was by relating it to my experiences and picking out how I enjoyed the legal aspects of it - I looked at patents and regulatory in a couple of internships. I also did some legal work experience and I drew out what I liked about that - the case law research, coming up with a solution to a problem and also interacting with clients. If you provide specific examples, I found that they are more interested rather than a generic one.

cls33

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 3, 2022
Hello, I had to justify this to every person I met on my vac schemes as well as the TC interview.

The rigid framework is a good start but your answer needs to be a bit more concrete than that. The way I framed it was by relating it to my experiences and picking out how I enjoyed the legal aspects of it - I looked at patents and regulatory in a couple of internships. I also did some legal work experience and I drew out what I liked about that - the case law research, coming up with a solution to a problem and also interacting with clients. If you provide specific examples, I found that they are more interested rather than a generic one.
Hi, thank you so much for sharing!

I don't have any legal work experience as i'm still at university, but I have attended open days and workshops where I have completed a few trainee tasks, and I have also enjoyed some legal aspects of my business modules. From what you said above, my guess is I will just have to find specific aspects of it I enjoyed to substantiate my answer :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.