How to get work from lawyers

Nicole

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Feb 28, 2018
(Reminder: These are posts I'm copying that Jaysen made in The Student Room)

Should I knock on doors?

Your supervisor/trainee buddy will generally give you work, so I wouldn't worry too much, unless (a) you've been told to, (b) you've run out of things to do, or (c) you're at Jones Day.

You’ll have a tour of the department you’re sitting in on the first day – that’s when I’d usually mention that I’d be happy to take on any work from others. You can also offer to take on work - if you have capacity - if lawyers come into the office.

It’s a bit strange because you’re on a scheme with many highly-qualified students, so I know it often feels like you need to go above and beyond everyone else. But I’d think of standing out this way – just focus on doing well in each activity you do. That means work really hard on every task you’re given; be friendly to every person you meet, from the IT staff to the secretaries to other students; and ask genuine questions during department talks. I think it’s better to get good reports from a smaller number of people you do interact with than spreading yourself thin or working endlessly to get the attention of senior lawyers.

Last edited by a moderator:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.