How to jump back from rejection?

IntrepidL

Legendary Member
Jul 29, 2018
I have been rejected after completing 4 AC interviews for vacation schemes and TCs. I have honestly been quite burnt out after the rejections. It feels like I‘ve put in my 200% into everything - from grades (I managed to rank one of the highest in my year) to polishing my CV with work experiences and leadership experiences. I also prepared extensively for each AC in the midst of exams. However, it feels like I’m not getting very far.

Although I did receive good feedback from my ACs, I did not manage to get the TC/VS offer. It’s been quite demoralising and while I keep pushing myself to keep trying, I have been really exhausted. Would anyone have any tips on how to jump back from rejection and burn out?

Last edited:

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    I have been rejected after completing 4 AC interviews for vacation schemes and TCs. I have honestly been quite burnt out after the rejections. It feels like I‘ve put in my 200% into everything - from grades (I managed to rank one of the highest in my year) to polishing my CV with work experiences and leadership experiences. I also prepared extensively for each AC in the midst of exams. However, it feels like I’m not getting very far.

Although I did receive good feedback from my ACs, I did not manage to get the TC/VS offer. It’s been quite demoralising and while I keep pushing myself to keep trying, I have been really exhausted. Would anyone have any tips on how to jump back from rejection and burn out?
    Firstly, getting to 4 ACs is a great achievement! I know it's very easy for someone like me to say that after having done a vacation scheme but it really is a great achievement and you should really take a lot of confidence from that.

I would really recommend listening to the 'Sweat Equity' TCLA podcast - that totally changed my outlook on rejection and, hopefully, it will do the same for you too!

Equally, if you feel as though you are struggling with burnout, give yourself a break! If you can, take a few weeks off where you are literally doing nothing for applications - see family/friends, go out for a film, go on a night out if you want to but whatever you do make sure you relax to allow yourself to recharge.

Finally, know that this community is right behind you and we are 100% here for you if you want to vent/get anything off your chest. With your grades/experience you are obviously a great candidate so maybe on your next AC, try and avoid preparing so much and just go in being yourself - you'd be surprised how effective that can be (it worked for me with Weil)!

All the best for the year ahead,
    Dan

A4991

Star Member
    Nov 20, 2019

It's not about grades and work experience at an AC. That is all a given after your application was screened. It is about your personality and whether the partners/associates interviewing you can see you being a right fit at the firm.

I would take a break and then reflect on the feedback and see where you can improve yourself in the future.

Eamon

Star Member
    Jul 2, 2019

I'm in the exactly the same boat; having failed at the last hurdle for two direct TC's and 1 VS. One of the TC's was for White & Case; which I believe is one of the longest application processes for any law firm (4 sets of interviews). That day I got the rejection email was one of the worst I have experienced.

Like yourself, I feel very burnt out.

However, if we can get this far, we can certainly get to the last stage. I'd also say that if you're consistently getting this far, you have the skills to make it to overcome that final interview.

Whilst the feedback and learning from interviews is important; I think we just need a tiny bit of luck, and we'll be in. My journey has been painfully depressing, and I struggle to keep positive, but we'll get there eventually.

Frank

Valued Member
    Dec 12, 2018
    I know exactly how you feel; my last TC AC was at one of the MC firms and still cannot comprehend how I failed it, especially since I had put lots of effort into it. Unfortunately, sometimes it happens that despite our prep, the interviewing process is, eventually, subjective - apart from all the "objective" assessment sessions they have. The truth is, and excuse me if someone disagrees with my opinion, a person can simply not like the interviewee. We are humans, and, unfortunately, that can put us down. Some people like me, some do not.

The only thing you can do right now is to keep your head up. Many people failed in the early stages of our age. It's normal. Some are lucky enough to get it at first shot, some aren't. It's a numbers game too. Do not forget that it is an incredibly difficult profession to get into. As Dan said - getting 4 ACs is a great achievement.

Relax, focus on your priorities, and start from scratch once more!

PS: what's meant to be. Trust me, this mindset makes your life easier. Good luck :)

Last edited:

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

Thanks for having the courage to post this, you’re definitely not alone. This process can be really really brutal - the most painful ones for me were always when I’d got further along the process because by then I’d got my hopes up.

As others have said, 4 ACs means you’re clearly doing something right. In each case, you’ve passed hundreds of candidates to get through and it should mean you have the right profile to get more.

The point just also stands when it comes to ACs. You’re up against so many highly qualified candidates, so often it really is just time and persistence, rather than a case of you not being a strong candidate or an indication of whether or not you’d be a good lawyer.

It’s frustrating for me because I see a lot of candidates that I know are exceptional receive rejections and there’s not much I can do other than say hang in there. The unfortunate truth is a lot of it is down to luck: impressing the right interviewer at the right time. You can increase your luck to an extent by continuing to work on yourself/your interview performance and continuing to apply to more firms, but the rest is out of your hands. If you are struggling, I would encourage you to take some time out and away from places like LinkedIn - there is absolutely nothing wrong with that and you could well come out better in the long run.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Rejection is tough.

But it is no reflection of each individual nor their abilities.

I’ve turned down hundreds (possibly even thousands) of people who have gone on to be successful. In that list includes several CEOs running their own businesses, one of which is a major tech company that’s making massive waves in the sector. It also includes people who’d still be a mid level associate at the firm I recruited for, but are now partners at other firms (yes, I am that old :p).

It is just a case of it being either one of or a combination of it not being the right employer, right time, right decision or right career.

Remember most people will be unsuccessful - over 95% of applicants are going to be in your position and probably the majority of candidates getting through to the final interview stage will also be unsuccessful.

I’ve had more unsuccessful interviews in my career than I have had successful. I am actually now pretty thankful for that vast majority of them turning me down, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

IntrepidL

Legendary Member
    Jul 29, 2018
    Firstly, getting to 4 ACs is a great achievement! I know it's very easy for someone like me to say that after having done a vacation scheme but it really is a great achievement and you should really take a lot of confidence from that.

I would really recommend listening to the 'Sweat Equity' TCLA podcast - that totally changed my outlook on rejection and, hopefully, it will do the same for you too!

Equally, if you feel as though you are struggling with burnout, give yourself a break! If you can, take a few weeks off where you are literally doing nothing for applications - see family/friends, go out for a film, go on a night out if you want to but whatever you do make sure you relax to allow yourself to recharge.

Finally, know that this community is right behind you and we are 100% here for you if you want to vent/get anything off your chest. With your grades/experience you are obviously a great candidate so maybe on your next AC, try and avoid preparing so much and just go in being yourself - you'd be surprised how effective that can be (it worked for me with Weil)!

All the best for the year ahead,
    Dan

Thank you so much, Daniel! This is really encouraging! I'll definitely take a look at the podcast :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden

IntrepidL

Legendary Member
    Jul 29, 2018
    It's not about grades and work experience at an AC. That is all a given after your application was screened. It is about your personality and whether the partners/associates interviewing you can see you being a right fit at the firm.

I would take a break and then reflect on the feedback and see where you can improve yourself in the future.
    Thank you, @A4991!

IntrepidL

Legendary Member
    Jul 29, 2018
    I'm in the exactly the same boat; having failed at the last hurdle for two direct TC's and 1 VS. One of the TC's was for White & Case; which I believe is one of the longest application processes for any law firm (4 sets of interviews). That day I got the rejection email was one of the worst I have experienced.

Like yourself, I feel very burnt out.

However, if we can get this far, we can certainly get to the last stage. I'd also say that if you're consistently getting this far, you have the skills to make it to overcome that final interview.

Whilst the feedback and learning from interviews is important; I think we just need a tiny bit of luck, and we'll be in. My journey has been painfully depressing, and I struggle to keep positive, but we'll get there eventually.

Thank you so much for sharing this, @Eamon! I am sure that both you and I will be able to get there eventually, and find the right firm for us.

Reactions: Eamon

IntrepidL

Legendary Member
    Jul 29, 2018
    I know exactly how you feel; my last TC AC was at one of the MC firms and still cannot comprehend how I failed it, especially since I had put lots of effort into it. Unfortunately, sometimes it happens that despite our prep, the interviewing process is, eventually, subjective - apart from all the "objective" assessment sessions they have. The truth is, and excuse me if someone disagrees with my opinion, a person can simply not like the interviewee. We are humans, and, unfortunately, that can put us down. Some people like me, some do not.

The only thing you can do right now is to keep your head up. Many people failed in the early stages of our age. It's normal. Some are lucky enough to get it at first shot, some aren't. It's a numbers game too. Do not forget that it is an incredibly difficult profession to get into. As Dan said - getting 4 ACs is a great achievement.

Relax, focus on your priorities, and start from scratch once more!

PS: what's meant to me. Trust me, this mindset makes your life easier. Good luck :)

Thank you for your lovely reply, @Frank! You're right - sometimes interviews can be highly subjective, and I guess the best we can do is to improve the elements of our interview that are under our control. Your post is really encouraging - thank you :)

Last edited:

IntrepidL

Legendary Member
    Jul 29, 2018
    Thanks for having the courage to post this, you’re definitely not alone. This process can be really really brutal - the most painful ones for me were always when I’d got further along the process because by then I’d got my hopes up.

As others have said, 4 ACs means you’re clearly doing something right. In each case, you’ve passed hundreds of candidates to get through and it should mean you have the right profile to get more.

The point just also stands when it comes to ACs. You’re up against so many highly qualified candidates, so often it really is just time and persistence, rather than a case of you not being a strong candidate or an indication of whether or not you’d be a good lawyer.

It’s frustrating for me because I see a lot of candidates that I know are exceptional receive rejections and there’s not much I can do other than say hang in there. The unfortunate truth is a lot of it is down to luck: impressing the right interviewer at the right time. You can increase your luck to an extent by continuing to work on yourself/your interview performance and continuing to apply to more firms, but the rest is out of your hands. If you are struggling, I would encourage you to take some time out and away from places like LinkedIn - there is absolutely nothing wrong with that and you could well come out better in the long run.

Thank you so much for your reply, @Jaysen! :) This has made me feel a lot better

IntrepidL

Legendary Member
    Jul 29, 2018
    Rejection is tough.

But it is no reflection of each individual nor their abilities.

I’ve turned down hundreds (possibly even thousands) of people who have gone on to be successful. In that list includes several CEOs running their own businesses, one of which is a major tech company that’s making massive waves in the sector. It also includes people who’d still be a mid level associate at the firm I recruited for, but are now partners at other firms (yes, I am that old :p).

It is just a case of it being either one of or a combination of it not being the right employer, right time, right decision or right career.

Remember most people will be unsuccessful - over 95% of applicants are going to be in your position and probably the majority of candidates getting through to the final interview stage will also be unsuccessful.

I’ve had more unsuccessful interviews in my career than I have had successful. I am actually now pretty thankful for that vast majority of them turning me down, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Thank you for your lovely reply, @Jessica Booker! Yes, hopefully the right firm will come along at the right time :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.