how to make the most of law fairs?

Yminh

Star Member
Premium Member
Sep 25, 2018
So there's a law fair at Bristol Uni today and tomorrow, and I'm sure there are more to come at other universities. It really depends on the people I speak to at the fair, but the answers I receive are only helpful half of the time. For example, I tend to ask the trainees specifically what attracted them to the firm when they were applying, and now that they are working in the firm, if they could tell me something (let it be nature of the work they undertakes, opportunities, cultures etc) that exceed their expectations. Answers I got from them are usually quite generic. Most common replies were 'I like the people I work with!'.

I understand they are being honest, and I could potentially say at interview I speak to this person at the law fair who told me about the truly collegiate work environment at the firm. But it does seem a little pretentious as I have not yet worked at the firm so very hard for me to say that it is mainly the people that attracted me there.

Would really appreciate any tip on how to make the most of law fairs! suggestions on what questions to ask to obtain insightful info. that you wouldn't normally be able to find in internet would be very helpful as well. Thanks guys!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    The more you prepare, the more you are likely to get out of these law fairs. A few threads you may find helpful for coming up with questions at events:

https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/networking-events.499/#post-1993
    https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/open-day-interactions.469/#post-1946
    https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....or-slaughter-and-may-interview.314/#post-1380

You are right. If you ask a trainee why they like their law firm, they are far more likely to talk about the people or the culture than the firm's international strategy. They are genuine answers, but as you noted, it's not the most helpful answer if you're looking for information to differentiate a law firm.

You need to ask a far more specific question, which means you've got to do some research first. You don't have much time, but check out the graduate pages for as many law firms attending as you can and draft a couple of questions. You can also ask more precise general questions.

Let's say I pick Freshfields. Just going off the graduate page, the things that stand out to me are:
    • Freshfields has an eight-seat training contract.
    • There is a mentoring programme involving a trainee intake partner.
    • The firm has partnered up with Neota Logic and lawyers may learn to code.
    • Trainees can be seconded to the Legal Services Centre or collaborate with them in projects.
    So, if you want to know more about any of these points, use them as the foundation to ask an informed question. For example: "I read that Freshfields has partnered up with several AI companies including Neota Logic. Are there any opportunities for trainees to be involved in coding?" Or, "What do you feel are the benefits of an eight-seat training contract compared to the traditional four seats?"

This is the kind of information you can use in an application form or at an interview. And if it came from a genuine question about the firm, it should go down well. For example, you might be writing about your interest in Freshfields' eight seat training contract. You then explain why and back this up with: "This was affirmed by speaking to XYZ at the Bristol law fair in October 2018. She explained that ..." (Just an example -- you don't want it to sound too robotic.)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Chido and Salma

Yminh

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 25, 2018
    The more you prepare, the more you are likely to get out of these law fairs. A few threads you may find helpful for coming up with questions at events:

https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/networking-events.499/#post-1993
    https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/open-day-interactions.469/#post-1946
    https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....or-slaughter-and-may-interview.314/#post-1380

You are right. If you ask a trainee why they like their law firm, they are far more likely to talk about the people or the culture than the firm's international strategy. They are genuine answers, but as you noted, it's not the most helpful answer if you're looking for information to differentiate a law firm.

You need to ask a far more specific question, which means you've got to do some research first. You don't have much time, but check out the graduate pages for as many law firms attending as you can and draft a couple of questions. You can also ask more precise general questions.

Let's say I pick Freshfields. Just going off the graduate page, the things that stand out to me are:
    • Freshfields has an eight-seat training contract.
    • There is a mentoring programme involving a trainee intake partner.
    • The firm has partnered up with Neota Logic and lawyers may learn to code.
    • Trainees can be seconded to the Legal Services Centre or collaborate with them in projects.
    So, if you want to know more about any of these points, use them as the foundation to ask an informed question. For example: "I read that Freshfields has partnered up with several AI companies including Neota Logic. Are there any opportunities for trainees to be involved in coding?" Or, "What do you feel are the benefits of an eight-seat training contract compared to the traditional four seats?"

This is the kind of information you can use in an application form or at an interview. And if it came from a genuine question about the firm, it should go down well. For example, you might be writing about your interest in Freshfields' eight seat training contract. You then explain why and back this up with: "This was affirmed by speaking to XYZ at the Bristol law fair in October 2018. She explained that ..." (Just an example -- you don't want it to sound too robotic.)
    big help as always. thanks Jaysen

Reactions: Jaysen

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.