How to Prepare for HSF's Online Test?

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Really, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I did it last year and passed - it's not mentally taxing by any means!

First section - SJT - use your common sense as to what the firm would want you to do in the situations (how to keep good working relations, how to ensure the work gets done to the highest quality on time, keeping clients happy etc).

Second section - personality test - answer this honestly, but make sure you do take account of what they would likely look for in a potential trainee/vac schemer.

Third Section - True, cannot say, false questions based on the passage given to you.

There is a practice test on the HSF website that would give you a flavour of what to expect.

Reactions: Inquisitive

Inquisitive

Star Member
    Sep 1, 2022
    Really, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I did it last year and passed - it's not mentally taxing by any means!

First section - SJT - use your common sense as to what the firm would want you to do in the situations (how to keep good working relations, how to ensure the work gets done to the highest quality on time, keeping clients happy etc).

Second section - personality test - answer this honestly, but make sure you do take account of what they would likely look for in a potential trainee/vac schemer.

Third Section - True, cannot say, false questions based on the passage given to you.

There is a practice test on the HSF website that would give you a flavour of what to expect.
    Many thanks! I'll probably hold off completing the test until today or tomorrow

Lawstudent**

Star Member
  • Aug 27, 2022

Hi,

Do you remember how many questions were asked for each part?

Thanks

Reactions: sxw517

Inquisitive

Star Member
    Sep 1, 2022
    Hey, I can see you did the online test not too long ago. Do you by any chance remember how many questions were asked for each part?

Thank you!
    Apologies Sammy, I can't quite remember how many questions there were. I think there were 3 sections, and the SJT and verbal reasoning sections were most important. It was quite a few questions, but I can't remember how many specifically. I think I barely made it through in the recommended time

Apologies for the lack or specifics

Lawstudent**

Star Member
  • Aug 27, 2022
    Apologies Sammy, I can't quite remember how many questions there were. I think there were 3 sections, and the SJT and verbal reasoning sections were most important. It was quite a few questions, but I can't remember how many specifically. I think I barely made it through in the recommended time

Apologies for the lack or specifics
    No worries x I hope you still managed to pass?

aniraz

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 14, 2022
    Thank you so much! How did you prepare?
    If your university provides access to Graduates First, they have practice verbal reasoning tests which I used to practice (they made me go from 29th to 90th percentile lol) and I think assessment day has it too. In terms of the SJT, I tried to make sure that I thought about prioritising the client, the most efficient way to get the task done to the highest quality, not just choosing the solution of making it harder for myself and so on. For the behavioural section, be honest to an extent obviously but keep in mind that they want to see a mix of teamwork, leadership, trying new tasks (but also not dismissive of repetitive/lower skilled tasks), working with people different to you, etc. I received an email saying that I had passed the test this morning so hopefully this advice helps:)

Reactions: Lawstudent**

Lawstudent**

Star Member
  • Aug 27, 2022
    If your university provides access to Graduates First, they have practice verbal reasoning tests which I used to practice (they made me go from 29th to 90th percentile lol) and I think assessment day has it too. In terms of the SJT, I tried to make sure that I thought about prioritising the client, the most efficient way to get the task done to the highest quality, not just choosing the solution of making it harder for myself and so on. For the behavioural section, be honest to an extent obviously but keep in mind that they want to see a mix of teamwork, leadership, trying new tasks (but also not dismissive of repetitive/lower skilled tasks), working with people different to you, etc. I received an email saying that I had passed the test this morning so hopefully this advice helps:)
    Thank you so much, this is super helpful!

Do you know if the personality section was the longest one? x

aniraz

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 14, 2022
    No worries!

Weird question, but did you receive a confirmation email confirming compeltion of the online test straight after? I have not receieved anything and weirdly enough the assessment still shows on the page even though I completed it, is that normal? xxx

thanks
    They will reply the next day I think saying whether you passed or not.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.