How to prepare for Slaughter and May Interview?

Leke

Star Member
Future Trainee
Jun 24, 2018
Hi there,

I have an upcoming Slaughter and May interview and from what I know (I've read the interview exp) it requires a lot commercial acumen. How do you suggest I prepare for it? I have spent today trying to acquire as much commercial awareness as possible but it has been very unsuccessful. I do not feel like I am doing the right thing.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Best regards,
Leke

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi Leke,

You may find this thread helpful if you haven't seen it already: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/slaughter-and-may-interview-tips.80/#post-949.

I also copy over some advice I recently gave about commercial awareness:
    • You should have a good understanding of at least one current affairs issue. Don’t worry about choosing something difficult that you think sounds good (e.g. cryptocurrencies), just pick one that interests you. Practice explaining what happened, who was involved (if that’s relevant), and why you found it interesting. See if you can form an opinion on the topic and try to play devil’s advocate on your own topic– because that’s probably what the interviewer will do. Don’t get too into the weeds here, and if you do decide to mention a technical term, be prepared to explain it.
    • Read up on other important stories in the news at the moment. The stuff that’s getting attention at the moment include Brexit, Trump’s tariffs, data regulation, rising interest rates, global politics (Russia/North Korea/China), the impact of technology etc. These are huge issues, and you’re not expected to know about all of them in huge detail, but just try to have an opinion on some of the issues.
    • The technical questions you get asked will depend on the firm and what you write in your application. I’ve had/seen questions on: how companies raise money, the practice areas involved in due diligence, the difference between asset and share purchases, and others. You don't need to know any of this in major detail (that's what the LPC is for), but it it does help to have a simple understanding of these topics.
    Much of the battle is about how you approach the questions you are given. For example, you may be pushed to see how well you can defend a particular viewpoint. If so, try to stay calm, and ask for some time to think about your answer, if you need it. You want to defend your point of view, but don't fight a lose cause. That way, you demonstrate your knowledge of a particular topic, but you show a willingness to concede when you are out of your depth.

Why has it been unsuccessful so far? What do you find difficult at the moment? If you can provide more detail, I can give you a better answer.

Jaysen

• ℹ️
    Reactions: kaveesha

Leke

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Jun 24, 2018
    Hi Jaysen,

Thanks for your reply. Very helpful. I just feel overwhelmed by the number of commercial issues I have to get to grips with. I think I will follow your advice on the commercial issues I read and simply ask myself who is involved, what is my opinion, and how can my opinion be challenged.

Thanks again.

Leke

Coralin96

Valued Member
    Early Bird
    Feb 28, 2018
    Hey, just to add, like you I used to struggle with commercial awareness a lot. What really helped me was trying to summarise a couple of news stories (first every day, then every week). I would also try to find the answer each time I found something that confused me - like what is a bond or a market valuation.

After a while, I found myself writing about the same story a few times over the course of a few weeks or months. That gave me an opportunity to look at things from a different perspective and really tie the whole story in together. I'm not sure how long you have until Slaughters, probably not months - but maybe that's something worth thinking about

Reactions: Jai C. and Leke

Leke

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Jun 24, 2018
    Hey, just to add, like you I used to struggle with commercial awareness a lot. What really helped me was trying to summarise a couple of news stories (first every day, then every week). I would also try to find the answer each time I found something that confused me - like what is a bond or a market valuation.

After a while, I found myself writing about the same story a few times over the course of a few weeks or months. That gave me an opportunity to look at things from a different perspective and really tie the whole story in together. I'm not sure how long you have until Slaughters, probably not months - but maybe that's something worth thinking about
    Thanks a lot.

Leke

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Jun 24, 2018
    Hi guys,

Thanks for your advice. I have slowly stopped freaking out about commercial awareness. I have still got one question though. I am supposed to have an HR Interview but I am a bit o_O about asking the wrong questions at the end of the HR interview.

Here is the HR Interview description:
    Our interview process ends with a short meeting with a member of the Trainee Recruitment Team. They will ask you to reflect on the interview process and will talk to you about your motivations for a career in law and for applying to the firm. This part of the process provides an opportunity for you to ask questions about practical matters, for example, funding/timings for the GDL/LPC.

I do not know what they are expecting me to ask. So far I have come up with the question, "what are the next steps after this interview ?" which is pretty basic and in my opinion. Which question would you have asked if you were me?

Leke

Nicole

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Feb 28, 2018
    I remember writing up the interview experiences on the Slaughter and May page. From what I gather, the HR interview is conversational, so you can let your guard down a bit - just not too much! As you said, it'll be very much about your motivations for commercial law/why you are applying/where else you are applying. I suppose it's their way of assessing whether you'd be a good fit for the firm, so use it as an opportunity to show some of your personality.

It would be nice to prepare a couple of genuine questions if you have any, but I wouldn't worry too much if you don't have any "intelligent-sounding" questions. Those kind of questions tend to come across as superficial, and that could harm your application.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I remember writing up the interview experiences on the Slaughter and May page. From what I gather, the HR interview is conversational, so you can let your guard down a bit - just not too much! As you said, it'll be very much about your motivations for commercial law/why you are applying/where else you are applying. I suppose it's their way of assessing whether you'd be a good fit for the firm, so use it as an opportunity to show some of your personality.

It would be nice to prepare a couple of genuine questions if you have any, but I wouldn't worry too much if you don't have any "intelligent-sounding" questions. Those kind of questions tend to come across as superficial, and that could harm your application.

Agreed. I suggest you check out the Slaughter and May graduate page. If you have questions after reading the website -- for example, if you would like the firm to expand on a particular topic -- you can ask those to HR.

For example (and this is after a quick skim of the Slaughter and May website, so you may well know the answers to these questions):
    • How does Slaughter and May ensure trainees stay in contact with the firm during a secondment? How are secondments allocated? What about client secondments - where can trainees go? Can students second to law firms in Slaughter and May's best friend network?
    • How are starting seats allocated?
    • What are the opportunities for pro bono work?
    • Is there a induction when trainees start?
    • Does Slaughter and May continue to have a relationship with its future trainees during the GDL/LPC?
    • Do trainees have appraisals? How regular are these?
    Just make sure you aren't asking questions which aren't appropriate for HR. For example, it'll come across poorly if you ask them about the impact of rising interest rates on law firms.

Many of the best questions come as responses to the questions you are asked during the interview because they come across as genuine. For example: "You asked me about my participation in XYZ mentoring. How does the firm treat mentoring? Are there any formal mentoring programmes within the firm?"

Reactions: Leke

Leke

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Jun 24, 2018

Thank you so much Nicole!

Leke

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Jun 24, 2018
    Agreed. I suggest you check out the Slaughter and May graduate page. If you have questions after reading the website -- for example, if you would like the firm to expand on a particular topic -- you can ask those to HR.

For example (and this is after a quick skim of the Slaughter and May website, so you may well know the answers to these questions):
    • How does Slaughter and May ensure trainees stay in contact with the firm during a secondment? How are secondments allocated? What about client secondments - where can trainees go? Can students second to law firms in Slaughter and May's best friend network?
    • How are starting seats allocated?
    • What are the opportunities for pro bono work?
    • Is there a induction when trainees start?
    • Does Slaughter and May continue to have a relationship with its future trainees during the GDL/LPC?
    • Do trainees have appraisals? How regular are these?
    Just make sure you aren't asking questions which aren't appropriate for HR. For example, it'll come across poorly if you ask them about the impact of rising interest rates on law firms.

Many of the best questions come as responses to the questions you are asked during the interview because they come across as genuine. For example: "You asked me about my participation in XYZ mentoring. How does the firm treat mentoring? Are there any formal mentoring programmes within the firm?"
    Thank you so much Jaysen! You guys are so fab!

Reactions: Jaysen

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi there,

I have an upcoming Slaughter and May interview and from what I know (I've read the interview exp) it requires a lot commercial acumen. How do you suggest I prepare for it? I have spent today trying to acquire as much commercial awareness as possible but it has been very unsuccessful. I do not feel like I am doing the right thing.

Best regards,
    Leke

Hi Leke,

I hope your video interview went well.

We have a student with a Slaughter and May interview coming up this week. Would you mind sharing your thoughts/advice on how it went? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Jaysen

Leke

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Jun 24, 2018
    Hi Leke,

I hope your video interview went well.

We have a student with a Slaughter and May interview coming up this week. Would you mind sharing your thoughts/advice on how it went? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Jaysen
    Hi Jaysen,
    Sure! Just sent you a docx. Hope I am not too late.

Last edited:
    • 🏆
    Reactions: Jaysen

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    For anyone with an upcoming Slaughter and May interview, a student has kindly shared his detailed interview experience.

NB: I have redacted personally identifiable information and a small amount of specific interview information.

--

My Slaughter and May Experience

My Written exercise

My written exercise was very basic, you had to advise the CEO of an online retail company on which of a list of (four I think) suggested strategies by your consulting company should he adopt in order to help him [redacted] (NB: in your capacity as a consultant). The CEO was facing increasing investor pressure to invest the company’s profits or pay dividends and the owner of the company who sat on the board preferred a strategy different from the CEO’s own ([redacted]) so there was a bit of conflict of interest. You have to read about 7 pages of documents and you have a bit of a graph I think so pace yourself. My advice is that you should practice using SWOT and Porters 5, they can help with evaluating an investment decision. You can also have a look at ACCA’s P3 practice questions and answers at https://www.accaglobal.com/uk/en/st...xams-study-resources/p3/past-exam-papers.html

The actual Slaughter and May case study is not as deep as ACCA’s but seeing where they use basic frameworks like SWOT to evaluate strategies could help. ACCA is a professional exam so do not expect to write like them, just look at them as an example of how to use basic frameworks if you need to.

NB: You have to write your recommendation in 2-3 pages only so try to be succinct and legible. You have 1hr, by the way, to read through the docx and provide a recommendation. That’s good time if you plan well.

15 mins to read a current affairs article

After the case study, you are led to the reception to read a current affairs article. Mine was on social media as a threat to our democracy (taking an example from the Brexit referendum) so quite unusual. A partner then picks you up for the Partner interview.

Partner Interview 2 partners

NB: My interview was a tad different because most of my experiences had been in journalism and NGO.

They started by introducing themselves then asked me about [my university] and why I chose to study abroad. They then asked about my interest in commercial law and drilled heavily on this aspect asking about why I was not considering a career in the alternative fields I had dabbled in. At one point in this conversation, they asked about my [subject] grade which was quite low compared to my other grades and asked me what I found difficult in [subject]. They asked how [subject] was assessed to see if I preferred one form of assessment to another. They also asked about (and checked my reasoning behind) my college subject choices, law degree choices, my UCAS choices, choice of University, why I had no vacation schemes, what I had found difficult about adapting to the British educational system, and why what I found difficult felt difficult. During this conversation, I mentioned my [subject] coursework (I used this as bait to bring them to my turf), and then they asked me about my [subject] coursework and we discussed the objective standard of care for a bit (that is what my coursework was on.).

At one point in my conversation, they asked me which other firms I had applied to and where SM fits into my decisions. They also wanted me to prove my interest in commercial law through this question so when I mentioned the Sainsbury-Asda deal they asked me what issues a lawyer will consider if working on that deal (Jaysen’s M&A case study helped here and some wider reading on the deal as well).

After this they moved on to the article I had read asked me to summarise it in two to three words and asked me whether I agreed with some of the arguments. They then drilled on specific issues, particularly, whether social media should be regulated. When I made statements like social media hate ads fuels emotional thinking they asked why I felt that was a wrong thing to do particularly since politicians already play on our emotions (e.g dislike for refugees) to score political points. Key advice: Get prepped to think quickly why certain scenarios are different from another in other to support your argument.

Trainee walk: After your Partner Interview you get to chat with a trainee who shows you around their offices.

HR Interview

The HR Interview is just about discussing what went well during your Case Study and PI and what you feel you could have improved on. She also asks about which other firms you are interviewing with and how you intend to make a decision. I think they were questions about your motivation to have a career in law, but I cannot actually remember. I felt most of it was on you reflecting on your experience. Expect the HR interviewer to write a lot during this session.

*I did not get a TC at SM but If I were to do the AC again my advice will be:

For the CS: Do not freak out. Remember you are already prepped for the task through your previous practice.

For the PI: Practice getting tackled on why commercial law/why not banking or consulting/why not politics or journalism /why this experience and why do you have this and not that etc

Good luck!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: PO499

Osh

Distinguished Member
    Nov 18, 2018
    I have an interview with Slaughter and May this week, while I have been reading the Economist and FT, I find it difficult to form an opinion on whats being written. Certain topics such as Brexit are easier to anticipate a line of questioning than others. Any advice?

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    I have an interview with Slaughter and May this week, while I have been reading the Economist and FT, I find it difficult to form an opinion on whats being written. Certain topics such as Brexit are easier to anticipate a line of questioning than others. Any advice?
    Is this for a TC or VS out of interest?

Try breaking the article down into the issues it has raised and tackle each one in turn. I find this is easier because many articles have multiple issues that arise and it can help to think in this way. Slaughters will make you think on your feet. Get a friend to really challenge you- this might feel uncomfortable but it’s best to have a friend prep you in advance than try to wing it in an interview!

Hope this makes sense and wishing you the best of luck!

Last edited:

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

You may find it helpful to spend time reading opinion pieces on topics rather than just informative articles. The FT's opinion section is a good example.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.