How to secure paralegal position with no experience?

Saffa

Standard Member
Mar 27, 2019
Hello,

I have an upcoming interview for Paralegal position but I don’t have relevant work experience within the legal department apart from Citizens Advice and retail experience. Therefore, how do I use my non legal experience to stand out.

This is my first interview within legal sectors. If someone could give me pointers as to what to expect at the interview.

Thank you in advance

Saffa Can

AJ

Legendary Member
Sep 11, 2018
I wouldn't worry about having any experience in a legal department.

Before going into the interview, focus more around the skills that are potentially required for the role and/or type of department. Research the different skills a Paralegal might need in say Litigation, compared to say Corporate.

Use/fit/mould/manufacture your experience (Citizens Advice and retail) to demonstrate those skills.

I haven't Paralegalled, but talking to a few I have worked with, I think it's fair to say a Paralegal role is a bit of a stepping stone/entry role. Firms should/will be aware of this. So it's nothing to shy away from, as long as you can demonstrate the skills.

Hello,

I have an upcoming interview for Paralegal position but I don’t have relevant work experience within the legal department apart from Citizens Advice and retail experience. Therefore, how do I use my non legal experience to stand out.

This is my first interview within legal sectors. If someone could give me pointers as to what to expect at the interview.

Thank you in advance

Saffa Can

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.