HSF Vacation Scheme

anxiouslawyer

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 26, 2021
Hi everyone! I've been lucky enough to have a Winter Vac Scheme coming up with HSF soon - it's my first ever Vac Scheme and I'm quite anxious to impress! If anyone around here has done one with HSF recently I would be quite keen to hear about your experiences (whether or not you were successful with conversion) ! :)

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Hi @KamKA,

First of all, congratulations! I am really pleased for you. Based on my experience, HSF is a fantastic firm to complete a vacation scheme with. Do you yet know which practice area(s) you will be sat with?

As much as possible, be enthusiastic and reach out to people working in areas that you have a genuine interest in. I was sat in Disputes and Corporate (which I chose because of HSF's "twin engine" model). I enjoyed seeing "both sides" of the firm.

In terms of tips for the scheme: don't be afraid to ask questions. It is always positive (in my opinion) when you show that you are open to feedback (good and bad!). Showing that you are willing and able to improve is a great way to show that you would be an engaging trainee to supervise, or person to work with.

Please do reach out if you would like any further advice. I'm excited for you!

DTB

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 21, 2019
    Hi everyone! I've been lucky enough to have a Winter Vac Scheme coming up with HSF soon - it's my first ever Vac Scheme and I'm quite anxious to impress! If anyone around here has done one with HSF recently I would be quite keen to hear about your experiences (whether or not you were successful with conversion) ! :)
    Hi KamKA! I have an interview coming up with them for the summer - I would be grateful for any advice on how to prepare!

Reactions: George Maxwell

GOI983

Esteemed Member
    Sep 15, 2021
    Hi KamKA! I have an interview coming up with them for the summer - I would be grateful for any advice on how to prepare!
    Hey YB, congrats on reaching the AC. I just met the benchmark for their spring vacation scheme online test and was wondering how long they took to get back to you for your summer application about attending an AC?

Reactions: DTB

anxiouslawyer

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 26, 2021
    Hey YB, congratulations!

When I interviewed with HSF it was all virtual, and instead of case study + scenario + competency, they did two scenario interviews - so I can only advise on the scenario and competency portions.

The scenario exercises are a good opportunity to show off your commercial awareness. The partner will take you through a commercial scenario (apparently based on something they have worked on before) and at various points ask for your thoughts. It's meant to make you think on your feet so it's a bit hard to prepare, but I would recommend reading up on topics like M&A and knowing some basic contract stuff like warranties, indemnities etc (I spent a lot of time just reading random corporate terms on Investopedia as prep lol). They want to see how you problem-solve and think, so even if you don't know the answer just give it your best guess and explain your rationale clearly. If you struggle they will nudge you along, they want to bring out the best in you. If you're able to mention any recent business news relevant to the scenario, that will really impress them.

The competencies one you can do much more to prepare for. Standard questions here like "why law" and "why HSF" and a couple of "tell me about a time when you..." questions. Make sure you're familiar with their various practice areas and if you can link your "why HSF" to any work experiences that would be good. You should mention any events you've attended / people you interacted with if you can, as they like to hear that you have actually taken the time to get to know them.

Last edited:
    Reactions: DTB

PP2341

Nov 8, 2021
    Hi All! I had a question ahead of putting my application in- how did you tackle the questions of a topic that interested you? Did you link this to the firm, how did you showcase your passion (an extracurricular hobby or something you read?) I'm really struggling with this! Any responses would be really helpful :)

anxiouslawyer

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 26, 2021
    Hi All! I had a question ahead of putting my application in- how did you tackle the questions of a topic that interested you? Did you link this to the firm, how did you showcase your passion (an extracurricular hobby or something you read?) I'm really struggling with this! Any responses would be really helpful :)
    Heya! So for this one I used it as a chance to talk about my extracurriculars. I have a passion for gender equality and women's rights, so I talked about why it was a topic that mattered to me and what I've done so far to be involved, i.e. volunteering with charities over the years, founding the women's network at my previous job. I didn't really link it back to the firm but I was kind of tactical in choosing this topic since I was aware diversity and inclusion is important to many firms.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    They typically don’t require it to be tied to the firm. It’s really to show an additional dimension to you as a candidate. It’s almost like they are trying to find out you have interests outside of work that mean you you have the ability to switch off from work or that you’ll be an interesting colleague who won’t always talk about work! So don’t feel like you have to tie it to the firm.

DTB

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 21, 2019
    Hey YB, congrats on reaching the AC. I just met the benchmark for their spring vacation scheme online test and was wondering how long they took to get back to you for your summer application about attending an AC?
    Hello! Congratulations :) They actually took a little over a month to get back to me as they focus on the winter vacation scheme during these months!

Reactions: GOI983

DTB

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 21, 2019
    Hey YB, congratulations!

When I interviewed with HSF it was all virtual, and instead of case study + scenario + competency, they did two scenario interviews - so I can only advise on the scenario and competency portions.

The scenario exercises are a good opportunity to show off your commercial awareness. The partner will take you through a commercial scenario (apparently based on something they have worked on before) and at various points ask for your thoughts. It's meant to make you think on your feet so it's a bit hard to prepare, but I would recommend reading up on topics like M&A and knowing some basic contract stuff like warranties, indemnities etc (I spent a lot of time just reading random corporate terms on Investopedia as prep lol). They want to see how you problem-solve and think, so even if you don't know the answer just give it your best guess and explain your rationale clearly. If you struggle they will nudge you along, they want to bring out the best in you. If you're able to mention any recent business news relevant to the scenario, that will really impress them.

The competencies one you can do much more to prepare for. Standard questions here like "why law" and "why HSF" and a couple of "tell me about a time when you..." questions. Make sure you're familiar with their various practice areas and if you can link your "why HSF" to any work experiences that would be good. You should mention any events you've attended / people you interacted with if you can, as they like to hear that you have actually taken the time to get to know them.
    Thank you so much!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.