i am being ignored by vac scheme organisers?

wikawika

Sep 7, 2021
I was picked out to do a vac scheme for a large international firm based on my excellent performance in a university class. (This opportunity was given by someone who came in to the uni from the firm).

I received the offer to undertake the vac scheme, and I was able to skip all the application and interview stages. The organiser gave me the contact of an intermediary who I should talk to about the details of the scheme, which is due to start in less than 7 days now.

This intermediary (I believe it's a legal assistant or receptionist) has been periodically forgetting to reply to my emails. I've been enquiring about whether the scheme is taking place online or offline (covid issue) for months, but I did not receive any confirmation. This is made more difficult as the scheme is overseas. So I asked if i could do the scheme fully online. The assistant agreed.

After having to send several reminder emails, she sent me the contract which I signed and sent back. I was told I'd receive a laptop and a call from someone to explain a bit about how the vac scheme will be organised, but with a few working days to go until the scheme, I still haven't heard back or received the laptop.

I'm feeling confused and ignored. Should I continue sending reminder emails? Should I contact someone in a higher position? Should I just wait until the day of, and hope for the best?

M&ALawyer

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Jul 29, 2019
Given you have signed the contract I don’t think they have forgotten about you at all. I think they may perhaps be a bit overwhelmed in sorting out the vacation scheme next week - but honestly it could be anything (eg illness/staff holidays).

For reference I had a VS where I was not told when the laptop would be sent until a few days before the scheme.

If you want to get a response soon perhaps you could email (and copy in all relevant GR/HR members of the firm) to say you need to know when the laptop will be sent so you can be in to receive it. Personally, I wouldn’t email ‘higher ups’ like partners in this situation.

I would also consider contacting the firm’s reception and ask to to speak to GR/HR, explaining that you need to know how everything will work next week. It may be easier to get a response through a call than email - and I’m sure they don’t want you to feel in the dark.

Best of luck!

Reactions: ScrappyDoo

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.