I got a last minute interview with STB for and admin role but...

SSmith

Jan 17, 2022
So a couple of months ago I applied for an admin role with Simpson, Thacher and Bartlett on a whim and totally forgot about. Thursday afternoon I got a call asking if I'm still interested and if could do a zoom interview Friday .

It went really well and it's a role I can definitely do. Hours are great and I get 2 days WFH.

But the pay! I think I low balled myself for the amount of experience I have🤦🏽‍♀️
(I don't know why I said I'd be happy with 27-30k!)

So they're offering 28k , which is great for a new grad who lives with their parents.
(Edited to say but I'm not either of those, I'm about to do my post grad and I rent my own flat.)
I mentioned I knew it was an entry role and he admittedly confirmed I'm one of the more experienced applicants. He explained that this is the most he has been able to get for this role from the higher ups BUT I can basically do as much over time as I'd like. The role is 40hrs pw.

We ended the conversation with him saying to think things over and if I have any questions to email him or HR.

I sat and looked at my budget and as someone who lives in London, 28k really doesn't stretch far.

I've worked out it would be the same as the rate I get on disabled benefits, once rent is paid and it's just not worth it.
But the opportunities in that firm are awesome and this - being a non law grad would be amazing to have on my CV.
It's a perfect foot in the door !
It's ultimately the type of firm I'd love to work for as a paralegal and as a solicitor, once qualified.

I'm so unsure of what to do. I know they're desperate to fill this role ,so if all goes well I could start in the next week -2 weeks.

Could I maybe try an negotiate if offered the role?

Last edited:

shannontongg

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Trainee
Junior Lawyer 10
  • Oct 3, 2021
    There’s no harm in trying to negotiate if you are offered the role, the worst thing that could happen is that they say they can’t offer you any higher, but they wouldn’t retract your offer.

As you say, these types of roles are a great way to get your foot through the door, I started in an admin role and then progressed to paralegal and now trainee.

A £28k salary is a good amount to be living on in London, especially if you continue living at home.

Fingers crossed that you get offered the job! Good luck.

SSmith

Jan 17, 2022
    I think there's some slight room to push for a negotiation yh, so I will try and push.

Oh, I should have edited to say, I'm not living at home or a new grad. I'm about to go into my postgraduate course this September.So that's the difficulty.

And congrats on your progression!

Thank you, yes fingers crossed I should know by Wednesday!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    So a couple of months ago I applied for an admin role with Simpson, Thacher and Bartlett on a whim and totally forgot about. Thursday afternoon I got a call asking if I'm still interested and if could do a zoom interview Friday .

It went really well and it's a role I can definitely do. Hours are great and I get 2 days WFH.

But the pay! I think I low balled myself for the amount of experience I have🤦🏽‍♀️
    (I don't know why I said I'd be happy with 27-30k!)

So they're offering 28k , which is great for a new grad who lives with their parents.
    I mentioned I knew it was an entry role and he admittedly confirmed I'm one of the more experienced applicants. He explained that this is the most he has been able to get for this role from the higher ups BUT I can basically do as much over time as I'd like. The role is 40hrs pw.

We ended the conversation with him saying to think things over and if I have any questions to email him or HR.

I sat and looked at my budget and as someone who lives in London, 28k really doesn't stretch far.

I've worked out it would be the same as the rate I get on disabled benefits, once rent is paid and it's just not worth it.
    But the opportunities in that firm are awesome and this - being a non law grad would be amazing to have on my CV.
    It's a perfect foot in the door !
    It's ultimately the type of firm I'd love to work for as a paralegal and as a solicitor, once qualified.

I'm so unsure of what to do. I know they're desperate to fill this role ,so if all goes well I could start in the next week -2 weeks.

Could I maybe try an negotiate if offered the role?
    You could try to negotiate, but to me this is probably about the market rate for that type of role. My concern is that if they have already said this is the maximum they could get for the role, that they won’t be able to push it any higher though.

If there is overtime, it’s probably worthwhile asking how that is calculated and reasonable how many hours they think it could be per month. That could transform your base salary anyway.

SSmith

Jan 17, 2022
    You could try to negotiate, but to me this is probably about the market rate for that type of role. My concern is that if they have already said this is the maximum they could get for the role, that they won’t be able to push it any higher though.

If there is overtime, it’s probably worthwhile asking how that is calculated and reasonable how many hours they think it could be per month. That could transform your base salary anyway.
    Thanks Jessica, yh this is what I was thinking. Probably not.

I will ask, and yes it's good I least have the option of OT to bump the salary up.

Reactions: Lord Sumption

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.