I got rejected from all of my first year schemes, will this affects my chances for a VS?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Not at all.

You won’t be the same person in the next six months, the next 18 months or the next 36 months.

At any of those times (and beyond) you can apply for vacation schemes.

And because you’ll be a different person, you’ll be a different candidate. Your applications will be different to what they are now.

Reactions: clbtchnhl and Erin

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
May 30, 2023
I just thought I would resurrect this thread as @clbtchnhl raises an important point. This applies to reapplication cycles as well.

As @Jessica Booker says, you will be a different person and your applications will be different. The 'why' they and you are different is the most important point.

You will learn from the errors you made in those first-year scheme applications (and interviews for schemes such as Clifford Chance's SPARK). I applied to - let's call them - FAB firm in my first year of university and somehow got to the AC stage. I was SO excited but incredibly stressed because I did not know very much at all about commercial law. So, I had to try to speed-run that process.

Long story short, I did not perform well in the case study interview because, even using all the time I had, I could not really cultivate a good enough understanding of the commercial world (and also particularly why I wanted to be a part of it). It was only after attending open days and taking part in TCLA interview practices and courses in the next year that I truly began to grasp it all. That comes with time.

In time, there will be another chance - whether another insight scheme, open day or (fingers crossed) assessment centre - and the fact you even applied at such an early stage is an exceptionally good learning curve in and of itself. My interview skills and assessment-writing skills were so much better the next year all because I learned at an early stage. In fact, funny enough, I got an interview at FAB firm the next year and was fortunate enough to turn them down because I realised my interests were better served and my skills were better placed at the fantastic American firm I will be joining in August. Perhaps you might have the same discovery or perhaps your interest in those firms will only grow - either way, the rejection is paradoxically an excellent way to find out and grow as an applicant.

It is all part of the journey my friend.

Hope this helps - Laura :)

Reactions: Louise59 and Jaysen

clbtchnhl

Standard Member
May 4, 2023
I just thought I would resurrect this thread as @clbtchnhl raises an important point. This applies to reapplication cycles as well.

As @Jessica Booker says, you will be a different person and your applications will be different. The 'why' they and you are different is the most important point.

You will learn from the errors you made in those first-year scheme applications (and interviews for schemes such as Clifford Chance's SPARK). I applied to - let's call them - FAB firm in my first year of university and somehow got to the AC stage. I was SO excited but incredibly stressed because I did not know very much at all about commercial law. So, I had to try to speed-run that process.

Long story short, I did not perform well in the case study interview because, even using all the time I had, I could not really cultivate a good enough understanding of the commercial world (and also particularly why I wanted to be a part of it). It was only after attending open days and taking part in TCLA interview practices and courses in the next year that I truly began to grasp it all. That comes with time.

In time, there will be another chance - whether another insight scheme, open day or (fingers crossed) assessment centre - and the fact you even applied at such an early stage is an exceptionally good learning curve in and of itself. My interview skills and assessment-writing skills were so much better the next year all because I learned at an early stage. In fact, funny enough, I got an interview at FAB firm the next year and was fortunate enough to turn them down because I realised my interests were better served and my skills were better placed at the fantastic American firm I will be joining in August. Perhaps you might have the same discovery or perhaps your interest in those firms will only grow - either way, the rejection is paradoxically an excellent way to find out and grow as an applicant.

It is all part of the journey my friend.

Hope this helps - Laura :)
thank you so much !!

Reactions: laurabeaumont

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.