IF WE DONT HAVE THE GRADES...

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
If we don't have the grades at A-Levels- I have one A+ ( I got 91/100 IN ENGLISH SO I DONT KNOW WHAT GRADE THAT WOULD BE IN UK) & 2 Cs (69 ON 100 IN CHEMISTRY AND 63 IN COMPUTER SCIENCE), DOES IT MAKE SENSE TO ABSOLUTELY NOT APPLY AT FIRMS WHICH ASK FOR 2 As and a B.- I feel my rest of the application is solid- should I go for it? ( I will ultimately end up getting a 2:1 at Uni very easily but during my first year I got 40/100 in a few modules), now I am getting 65 on 100.
Should I apply to magic circle?

• Dislike
Reactions: Jade and Honest99

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
Your grades do not define your application.

If you meet the minimum criteria, you can apply. Are some firms pickier about grades than others? Yes, for sure. I would stay away from those. Your application will be reviewed holistically. I can say as someone who doesn't have great first-year grades that you can be successful. It is just a little harder.

Should you apply? Apply to whoever you want. Just understand that grades are one part of your application, but, they are not the defining feature.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If we don't have the grades at A-Levels- I have one A+ ( I got 91/100 IN ENGLISH SO I DONT KNOW WHAT GRADE THAT WOULD BE IN UK) & 2 Cs (69 ON 100 IN CHEMISTRY AND 63 IN COMPUTER SCIENCE), DOES IT MAKE SENSE TO ABSOLUTELY NOT APPLY AT FIRMS WHICH ASK FOR 2 As and a B.- I feel my rest of the application is solid- should I go for it? ( I will ultimately end up getting a 2:1 at Uni very easily but during my first year I got 40/100 in a few modules), now I am getting 65 on 100.
Should I apply to magic circle?

I wouldn’t apply until your grades are more consistent. The 40/100 modules will be of concern.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    I feel that the application process for all firms, let alone the MC,is already wildly competitive for people that have the grades at A level, Uni and work experience - with A*CC with multiple third-class grades at uni, if I were you I would really ask whether it was worth my time
    Sort of agree here I hate to say. You'd probably need a first-class degree and some consistently high 2.1s across the board to make up for your inconsistency thus far

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    The individual has got ext circs to their A-level grades - that’s one worry down.

Their biggest obstacle will be requiring a visa, but even that’s got much easier now, that it’s not impossible. If we were working on the old visa system, it would have been near on impossible for this individual where they are studying outside of the U.K. new visa system makes this far more straight forward.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    The individual has got ext circs to their A-level grades - that’s one worry down.

Their biggest obstacle will be requiring a visa, but even that’s got much easier now, that it’s not impossible. If we were working on the old visa system, it would have been near on impossible for this individual where they are studying outside of the U.K. new visa system makes this far more straight forward.
    I didn't see the note about the ext circs - fair enough then! If that's the case, my advice still applies really re university - the more consistent your module grades are the better!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Sorry I meant it in the way that it was the crux of your discussion above regarding my grades.

it’s not as simple as that. You will need to do more than just improve your grades.

for someone in your position, you are going to need to get some commercial or legal work experience with firms in your home country, you going to need to have strong extra curriculars, you going to need to understand the stylistic quirks of writing a good application etc.

gricole

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jul 6, 2018
    I wouldn’t apply until your grades are more consistent. The 40/100 modules will be of concern.

Why is there such a focus on consistency? Surely, progress should be welcomed. It means you are developing academically and actively learning from university practices. I think that it is a greater achievement to start with a 40/100 but graduate with a first class than to have consistent 65 results over the three years.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Why is there such a focus on consistency? Surely, progress should be welcomed. It means you are developing academically and actively learning from university practices. I think that it is a greater achievement to start with a 40/100 but graduate with a first class than to have consistent 65 results over the three years.

Consistency and progression are two very different things that are not mutually exclusive.

If you are getting 40s in some modules and 60s in others in the same year, that is where there is no consistency. This raises concerns of how adaptable you are, whether you can time manage effectively or whether you only manage to focus on matters you enjoy more/suit your strengths.

Your opinion is exactly what I am telling the individual to wait for until applying.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.