I'm having a meltdown

rayofsunshine

Standard Member
Nov 28, 2020
Hi all,

I'm feeling really low, really rubbish and lost the slightest confidence I had.

Sat mocks for criminal and EU a few weeks ago. Results were in today. Shocking. My heart sank. I had a set structure, which obviously changed a bit here and there based on facts.

Just as a side note, my background is engineering, A+ grade student.

Feedback as follows:

CRIMINAL
This is a confusing submission. Poor in places and not currently demonstrating your effective application of the law/learning to the facts.
Review your writing style to facilitate a closer link between AR/MR and the facts. Remember to follow the flow of the question.

EU
Many problems with expression and presentation.
The structure (Direct Effect, Indirect Effect, State Liability) is fine but you do not articulate well all the relevant legal concepts and tests.
Your application of the law to the facts is often hesitant and unconvincing.
Clearly you have some knowledge but you need to develop a more assured writing style.

I don't even know what advice I'm asking for, so any help would be great. Just feel really rubbish!

RubySmithers

Star Member
Jun 25, 2020
Hi, please don't stress - I was also in your situation. What really helped me was doing the following:
  1. Implement the IRAC (Issue Rule Apply Conclude) structure into all of your answers. I assume you're currently studying the GDL? If you are, I can confidently say that the GDL is mostly about having good exam technique and giving the examiner everything they want in a structured, concise manner.
  2. Go back to your answers, re-read them and reflect on the feedback you've been given. Sometimes reviewing your own work can be difficult because you think you've done everything right. But, read the question/scenario carefully and re-read your answer and see where you've gone wrong.
  3. Do not let this get you down! If you do, you'll only make things worse for yourself. I know its cliche to say, but failure is probably the best teacher (at least it has been for me).
I hope this alleviates some of your stress and I am certain that you'll come back strong if you take on board my advice! I'm rooting for you!

Ruby

rayofsunshine

Standard Member
Nov 28, 2020
Hi, please message me. I think I can help on the criminal
Hi, please don't stress - I was also in your situation. What really helped me was doing the following:
  1. Implement the IRAC (Issue Rule Apply Conclude) structure into all of your answers. I assume you're currently studying the GDL? If you are, I can confidently say that the GDL is mostly about having good exam technique and giving the examiner everything they want in a structured, concise manner.
  2. Go back to your answers, re-read them and reflect on the feedback you've been given. Sometimes reviewing your own work can be difficult because you think you've done everything right. But, read the question/scenario carefully and re-read your answer and see where you've gone wrong.
  3. Do not let this get you down! If you do, you'll only make things worse for yourself. I know its cliche to say, but failure is probably the best teacher (at least it has been for me).
I hope this alleviates some of your stress and I am certain that you'll come back strong if you take on board my advice! I'm rooting for you!

Ruby

Thank you so much for the positivity! Gosh, it means so much to just type out how I feel and know there is support out there.

Ruby, hope you don't mind my asking but what did you achieve after you realised points 1-3 were required?

• 🤝
Reactions: Rene and Daniel Boden

em311

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jun 15, 2019
Hi all,

Sat mocks for criminal and EU a few weeks ago. Results were in today. Shocking. My heart sank. I had a set structure, which obviously changed a bit here and there based on facts.

Feedback as follows:

CRIMINAL
This is a confusing submission. Poor in places and not currently demonstrating your effective application of the law/learning to the facts.
Review your writing style to facilitate a closer link between AR/MR and the facts. Remember to follow the flow of the question.

EU
The structure (Direct Effect, Indirect Effect, State Liability) is fine but you do not articulate well all the relevant legal concepts and tests.
Clearly you have some knowledge but you need to develop a more assured writing style.

I don't even know what advice I'm asking for, so any help would be great. Just feel really rubbish!

Hi!

Firstly, I know it can feel so horrible and feel down about your results but this is a good opportunity to put a positive spin on it and think to yourself these are mocks, so it's better to have done badly in these and then well in real exams than the other way round! The only way is up from here!

I would arrange appointments with your subject tutors and go through your answers and structures so you know exactly where you can improve and what things to focus on. I would then take some time to look at past paper questions and answers and then time yourself and write them like a real exam and give these to your tutors to mark. It can be a bit tedious but the best way to improve with these things is keep practising and you will build up that confidence again once you start getting into the swing of answering the questions!

I finished the GDL in June, so feel free to message me if you have any questions or anything, as I have also been there don't worry!

• 🤝
Reactions: Daniel Boden

Mo M

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jun 6, 2020
    Hi

Firstly, it's fine and absolutely normal to feel disappointed and disheartened when you have worked hard and not had the results you hoped for.
    The good thing is that these are mock results. The whole point of mock exams are to highlight any issues that could potentially affect your real examinations, so try and think of this as a positive. You can take a pro-active approach and try to improve areas of weaknesses in the lead up for your exams.

You an excellent student and it may just been be the fact that the structure of an engineering and legal answer could be different.I found this happened to me when I took a criminology module during my straight law degree, I worked really really hard on a piece of coursework but only got an average mark so booked an appointment with my module tutor to discuss. He suggested improvements on my structure and writing style, which I implemented and did a lot better on the next piece of work! I completely agree with the other posts, definitely try and see your relevant tutors, they are there to help and guide you. IRAC structure is one I used for my legal answers and that was a good structure, so also try and implement that.

If you need anymore help or just want to talk just me PM :)

Remember chin up!

• 🤝
    Reactions: CMD and Daniel Boden

KGNines

Standard Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 29, 2020
    Thank you so much for the positivity! Gosh, it means so much to just type out how I feel and know there is support out there.

Ruby, hope you don't mind my asking but what did you achieve after you realised points 1-3 were required?

100% agree with what Ruby said, when you can implement IRAC effectively it helps improve the structure of your answers a lot. Sign post your answers i.e make each point really obvious, keep the language as simple and clear as you can and when analysing a case bring it back to the question or argument you set out in your intro.

A lecturer at my university used to recommend Legal Skills (7th Edition) by Emily Finch, which you can find on Oxford LawTrove - Chapter 15 in particular is meant to be quite informative.

In addition to this, it helps to deepen your understanding of legal concepts by reading the opinions of judges in full and doing any further reading you're set. I know this is time consuming but it does definitely pay its dues in terms of improving your legal comprehension and giving your answer more substance - the critical comment basically ends up writing itself afterwards. Furthermore, if you can get your hands on any example exam answers from previous years this will help with your structure, I know this did for me, particularly when I done EU in second year.

I struggled with structure and ended up getting a 2:2 in second year but then went on and averaged a high 2:1 in third year, after dedicating more hours to doing this sort of stuff. If I can do it anyone can, it just takes time, especially if you're from an engineering background, it won't come straight away but it will come good eventually! You've got to remember that the core modules are the core for a reason, they're going to be difficult so don't be too hard on yourself, just keep plugging away and it will be worth it in the end.

Reactions: Alison C

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Honey,

It is fine, you are not perfect. Take a minute and have a nice cry. Now move and think "I can do it and I will do it"

I struggled with the structure as well during my GDL and English was not even my first language. My personal strategy?

First, go to your tutor and ask for help, tell him/her that you know the facts and the law but you struggled with the structure ask for some guidance and some previous mock exams.

Your colleagues could help you too, some of them are fierce competitors, but the world is also full of nice people do not be afraid to ask for some tips. People are the greatest teachers among us.

Embrace the failure because how you react sets how you learn. We are not perfect we are a work in progress!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden and Alison C

Alison C

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    Hi all,

Feedback as follows:

CRIMINAL

EU

Hi hi - I know exactly where you are coming from, from my own GDL experiences. Let's just say that I felt that the teaching wouldn't be getting an OFSTED 'outstanding' any time soon - not because it's bad but because there is such a disconnect between the classes and the exams.

The tutors are not necessarily sensitive to the investment you are making, and how fragile you are. The negative phrasing indicates the rush. If you can, ask them to comment on their commentary, eg instead of the 'this is wrong' vibes they are giving you, what phrases could you use to sound convincing?

The things I found the most helpful were
    (1) learning how to use the textbook properly by trying the model questions (then comparing mine with theirs and copying out theirs) and
    (2) using the OU 'concentrate' books which you can find on LawTrove - though I'd recommend buying on eBay/Amazon second hand. The 'Q&A' books in that series have model answers to problem questions. They aren't exactly the same cases as those on my GDL but the style of writing and the deftness showed me really clearly how to approach. I literally typed the answers out to learn how to use the words and sentences in the way you would when learning a new language.

Don't despair but I agree, this is a tough call after previous success so you just need to see how to practise. And fail early, fail often.

Good luck and well done for sharing, I wish I had known about TCLA when I was at your point.

Alison

Last edited:
    • 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.