Implications of exclusive recruitment via Vacation Scheme

BuddingLawyer

Distinguished Member
Jul 10, 2023
Dear @Jessica Booker, @WillkieGemma & other senior mentors,

Increasingly, most of the firms are exclusively recruiting via VS. Now, given that most of the VS are clustered around the same dates (April for Spring VS and June for Summer VS), even if one were to theoretically qualify for 10 VSs, one would only be able to attend two or three due to date clashes. This greatly reduces the hit ratio of conversion to TCs. Due to high competition, if one is unsuccessful in conversion, one has to start all over again the next year. This looks like a big problem as lots of effort goes down the drain, not to talk about its mental health effects. Have I articulated it right? Is there a strategy to go around it? E.g. will firms consider bypassing the assessment centre for a direct TC interview? Any other creative ideas in case one is not able to attend a VS due to a clash? I would hate to decline a VS.

Secondly, if one has not attended a VS due to a clash, for firms that have an exclusive gateway through VS, will they welcome a direct TC application next year since one has already gone through the laborious process the previous year?

On the face of it, it looks like an extremely inefficient system to me and I wish the industry acknowledged it and coordinated to spread the schemes better across June, July and August.

Any guidance will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: sthop

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.