Improving applications each time

TCinpipeline

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 31, 2021
Hi - I was wondering if anyone can provide some suggestions on how they improved applying for further TCs after each rejected application. Yes I read over my past applications to see how I could have improved but as each application is unique apart from providing a different example or grammatically changing the wording, I find it difficult to ascertain how to improve them. I send my application answers to trainees at my firm for thoughts/comments to gain their knowledge having been successful at the TC path but I still have no particular techniques/ideas of how to improve them. I am a practical person and I do not want to approach the same each time, if it is going to be another failure. It doesn't make sense and is not efficient! Thank you.

• ℹ️
Reactions: George Maxwell

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Hey. This is a compilation that I have prepared using Jessica's tips and articles from the Shearman and Sterling website. You can use this PDF before sending off your application to make sure that your application complies with all that's in this PDF.

I have mentioned only a few of Shearman & Sterling's tips but if you want the full list then please go to https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/100-ways-improve-your-training-contract-application-paul-gascoyne/

Also, if some of your apps involve taking SJTs , please check out this compilation: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/the-best-sjt-advice-on-the-forum.4350/

Again, I have compiled the best info on SJTs on the forum.

Attachments

• TC Application Writing Checklist.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 65

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Hi - I was wondering if anyone can provide some suggestions on how they improved applying for further TCs after each rejected application. Yes I read over my past applications to see how I could have improved but as each application is unique apart from providing a different example or grammatically changing the wording, I find it difficult to ascertain how to improve them. I send my application answers to trainees at my firm for thoughts/comments to gain their knowledge having been successful at the TC path but I still have no particular techniques/ideas of how to improve them. I am a practical person and I do not want to approach the same each time, if it is going to be another failure. It doesn't make sense and is not efficient! Thank you.
Hi @TCinpipeline,

This is a tricky question and a really valuable discussion to have on the forum. Thank you for starting it!

You may have done this already. So forgive me if this is stating the obvious. However, personally, one thing which I did (as a process) was to write down the experiences I have really enjoyed in the past. I then isolated these experiences, and broke them down into what it was about those experiences that motivated and/or invigorated me. Sometimes it was slightly abstract: i.e., the pace of the experience, or being forced to think analytically, other times it was more concrete, e.g., I am interested in X industry. I then re-aligned my approach in light of these themes (both in terms of the types of firm I applied to, but also the way I wrote my applications).

Looking back, it was actively reflecting on what I wanted in my career, which allowed me to focus on the skills that I felt made me a strong candidate, that accelerated my application successes.

Also I found that using my past applications as inspiration (rather than as something to rewrite) was helpful. I drew ideas from them, but always started new applications from scratch. Personally I felt that writing fresh applications was more efficient (and resulted in a better (i.e., clearer and more interesting) end product).

Have you developed any (perhaps more concrete) strategies? Interested to hear from others in the community on this too!

Reactions: Jaysen

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.