Inactivity - Interview question

Apple

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 23, 2023
Last application cycle I was super busy, I held multiple positions within societies, volunteered and worked part-time. However, going into this current application cycle, I dont have any positions of responsibility and have ceased my volunteering and work. During a VC interview previously I was asked "How do you keep busy outside of academics" which at the time was an easy question. However, I would struggle to provide an acceptable response currently apart from sports and im worried it could be the downfall of any potential interviews/

Is it okay to spin the answer to refer to my activities last year (my penultimate year) or do I simply need to figure out a way "get busy"?

aspiringcatsolicitor

Jun 19, 2023
I think that you should be transparent about it. You could mention that you have volunteered and picked up positions of responsibility in your penultimate year but have chosen to focus on your academics and sports.

If you can demonstrate that you were able to excel academically while "keeping busy" in the past, I think that would be enough to demonstrate to interviewers that you are able to manage responsibility.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.