Informing law firm about study abroad?

lawstudent15

Star Member
Feb 26, 2022
Hello,

I am in a bit of a dilemma and would appreciate any kind of help!

I am currently in my second year of uni. I applied for a year abroad back in November 2021 which would have switched my degree course from a standard 3 year LLB to a 4 year LLB (my 3rd year being abroad). I found out in late November that I didn't get the year abroad, and hence I continued applying for vacation schemes as a "normal" penultimate student. However, a month ago I got told that a place opened up for the year abroad and I was offered the chance to switch my degree. Naturally, I accepted the offer.

I haven't been massively successful this cycle given that it is my first one. Yet, I managed to (somehow!) secure an AC at a great US firm. I like the firm, but the issue is that I am no longer a penultimate student. When I applied back in early Jan, I was still technically in my penultimate year and eligible.

I am not too sure what to do now. I want to attend the interview (even if it is for practice), hence why I haven't said anything about my year abroad to the firm. What is the best thing to do in this situation? The interview is next week.

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello,

I am in a bit of a dilemma and would appreciate any kind of help!

I am currently in my second year of uni. I applied for a year abroad back in November 2021 which would have switched my degree course from a standard 3 year LLB to a 4 year LLB (my 3rd year being abroad). I found out in late November that I didn't get the year abroad, and hence I continued applying for vacation schemes as a "normal" penultimate student. However, a month ago I got told that a place opened up for the year abroad and I was offered the chance to switch my degree. Naturally, I accepted the offer.

I haven't been massively successful this cycle given that it is my first one. Yet, I managed to (somehow!) secure an AC at a great US firm. I like the firm, but the issue is that I am no longer a penultimate student. When I applied back in early Jan, I was still technically in my penultimate year and eligible.

I am not too sure what to do now. I want to attend the interview (even if it is for practice), hence why I haven't said anything about my year abroad to the firm. What is the best thing to do in this situation? The interview is next week.

Thanks!
Many firms will take you on this year anyway especially if you won’t be back in the U.K. due to term dates for next summer. So do the AC, see how it goes, and then if you get an offer, ask whether you can still do the scheme or defer to the following year.

Reactions: AvniD

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
@lawstudent15 I hope that it all went smoothly and would love to hear how the firm responded to this! I tend to find that all of the strict bureaucratic rules are taken into account prior to interview stage but that once you make it to interview (even if you are not in the priority recruitment cohort and 'slip through the cracks', so to speak) that firms then treat you as a human being and are much more willing to make personal adjustments where necessary.

I am sure this not always the case, but I am keeping fingers crossed for you!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.