International career changers help

kkizang

Jan 14, 2024
Hi, I am excited to join TCLA and this my first post requiring some serious advice for myself in deciding for future applications!
It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could please provide me with some feedback on the possibility of getting a TC/VC.

To begin with, I have obtained both an undergraduate/masters degree in political science from a RG university - (1st class/2.1 class, respectively).
Initially, I did not consider working in law, and so i pursued career in a different industry(finance), working for an investment bank in Asia(~2.5 years).
Interestingly enough, I had many chances to work with English lawyers/law firms due to cross-border nature of the various deals I was involved in, which really made me think about career change. However, I am now wondering if it is possible at all to have a shot at obtaining a TC or VC, considering that I have only spent time studying in the UK for 4 years(rather than say, working in a professional environment). As for the visa(I do not hold British citizenship), I am going to apply for 2 years working holiday visa, which I presume will buy me some time for VC(if I can manage one at all). I am more than willing to move/work in the UK, and but since I do not have any legal experience (although I did work primarily with English lawyers in drafting financial documents, say MTN notes, or SHA/SPA and so on) and I have spent most of time out of UK for my work experience, I may not be in a position to compete with other applicants.

It would be appreciated if anyone could provide some objective feedback on my prospect (and whether it is reasonable to make career change, considering the thin possibility of getting one : (
Thanks a lot in advance,
PS: I was thinking of applying for next cycle, but I wasn't sure if I could get anywhere at all/whether it is worth applying

RANDOTRON

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 11, 2021
    Hi, I am excited to join TCLA and this my first post requiring some serious advice for myself in deciding for future applications!
    It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could please provide me with some feedback on the possibility of getting a TC/VC.

To begin with, I have obtained both an undergraduate/masters degree in political science from a RG university - (1st class/2.1 class, respectively).
    Initially, I did not consider working in law, and so i pursued career in a different industry(finance), working for an investment bank in Asia(~2.5 years).
    Interestingly enough, I had many chances to work with English lawyers/law firms due to cross-border nature of the various deals I was involved in, which really made me think about career change. However, I am now wondering if it is possible at all to have a shot at obtaining a TC or VC, considering that I have only spent time studying in the UK for 4 years(rather than say, working in a professional environment). As for the visa(I do not hold British citizenship), I am going to apply for 2 years working holiday visa, which I presume will buy me some time for VC(if I can manage one at all). I am more than willing to move/work in the UK, and but since I do not have any legal experience (although I did work primarily with English lawyers in drafting financial documents, say MTN notes, or SHA/SPA and so on) and I have spent most of time out of UK for my work experience, I may not be in a position to compete with other applicants.

It would be appreciated if anyone could provide some objective feedback on my prospect (and whether it is reasonable to make career change, considering the thin possibility of getting one : (
    Thanks a lot in advance,
    PS: I was thinking of applying for next cycle, but I wasn't sure if I could get anywhere at all/whether it is worth applying
    Hi there! Just going to preface this by saying you do not need legal experience to apply for and secure a VS or TC. I wouldn't worry too much about your grades because firms focusing primarily on your undergraduate and you've got a first. Firms focus more on what you write in your application, and I think you've got an interesting story to tell about how you arrived at law. I think your experiences gives you a leg up against other candidates, especially in more business-oriented exercises (like case-studies and interviews). The fact that your work experience is mostly from outside the UK shouldn't be an issue.

As for whether it's reasonable or not to make the career change, only you can answer that. It's certainly not easy to get a TC but I imagine it wasn't easy to break into investment banking either, and nothing worth having comes easy.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: Jessica Booker

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.