International student/Paralegal - Ask me anything

Newborntrainee

Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 10, 2019
    Hi all

I have quite an unusual background as I have studied law in France, did an exchange programme and decided to stay in the UK. I did the GDL and LLM in 2016/2017 and went on to get a job with a brand protection company. I then left to join my first law firm and worked as a paralegal for nearly 3 years. I have low grades in my A levels and average grades for the rest of my degrees, except on the LPC where I am averaging a first.

I struggled when I arrived to find the support I needed to find my way to a training contract and had no idea how to qualify for a little while. When I started applying, I was older than the other candidates and it took me another few years before finally securing a training contract with a city law firm.

I thought I would create this thread in case anyone has questions on getting a job as a foreigner, getting a paralegal position, studying as a foreigner, or cultural challenges or anything like this!

AliShanWaryah

Apr 27, 2022
    Hi all

I have quite an unusual background as I have studied law in France, did an exchange programme and decided to stay in the UK. I did the GDL and LLM in 2016/2017 and went on to get a job with a brand protection company. I then left to join my first law firm and worked as a paralegal for nearly 3 years. I have low grades in my A levels and average grades for the rest of my degrees, except on the LPC where I am averaging a first.

I struggled when I arrived to find the support I needed to find my way to a training contract and had no idea how to qualify for a little while. When I started applying, I was older than the other candidates and it took me another few years before finally securing a training contract with a city law firm.

I thought I would create this thread in case anyone has questions on getting a job as a foreigner, getting a paralegal position, studying as a foreigner, or cultural challenges or anything like this!
    It’s so nice of you that you are volunteering to help others..
    How did you managed your Funding for GDL and LL.M? Via loans or savings?
    I am also a foreign student which means I am ineligible for loans. So would it be easy for me to fund my gdl fees in living in london during studies on part time work?
    Or should i go for part time degree?

• ℹ️
    Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

Newborntrainee

Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 10, 2019
    It’s so nice of you that you are volunteering to help others..
    How did you managed your Funding for GDL and LL.M? Via loans or savings?
    I am also a foreign student which means I am ineligible for loans. So would it be easy for me to fund my gdl fees in living in london during studies on part time work?
    Or should i go for part time degree?
    In relation to fees, luckily, I had the help of my family who paid for most of my postgraduate degrees. I started the LPC and GDL before Brexit so was eligible to pay "only" home fees as opposed to international fees (which you now have to pay if you are European). I was also eligible to the postgraduate loan, which I did take out and am still paying. My family paid tuition fees but I used up all the loan to survive throughout my study! I would recommend finding your training contract before you start the SQE if funding via private loans or family is not possible, I know it is so much money but not having the LPC is not a deterrent for firms.

During the LPC, it was no longer a possibility for me to take out a loan so I decided to study it part-time and I was working full-time as a paralegal. With the SQE, I think some of this experience could even count as Qualifying Experience so you can qualify faster.

If money is a huge issue, I highly recommend finding a paralegal position within a firm you know do recruit paralegals as trainees (that I definitely know of: TW, Linklaters, and probably more). I got my TC that way and I know of people who got a TC this way even when they did not have their LPC (and so it will be fully funded by your firm).

Good luck!! I think we definitely need more international lawyers practising in London!

meciasmorocco

Aug 17, 2022
    What do I need to become a paralegal? As far as I know, I don’t need to have higher education, and this job is like being an assistant to a lawyer.
    Is it true that becoming a paralegal can be done online? It would be great because it would save me so much time and money. I would like to get a theoretical education now and maybe work not only with my hands in the future. I have no time and money for higher education, so I want to become a Paralegal.
    And also, how much is it possible to earn being a paralegal? The online sources suggest a sum between $32K and $52K. Is it true?

Last edited:

elainehua

Standard Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 23, 2023
    Hi, I am an international student in my final year of study in LLB. I am worried about whether I could secure VS/ TC so I am also considering applying to paralegal.

I have heard that firms are less willing to recruit international students for paralegal positions (as they need to sponsor us). I also heard that this is especially the case for small firms. Is this a myth? Does anyone have any recommendations as to which firms to apply to for paralegal roles? Any tips will be appreciated!

I would really appreciate it if anyone can answer my question!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, I am an international student in my final year of study in LLB. I am worried about whether I could secure VS/ TC so I am also considering applying to paralegal.

I have heard that firms are less willing to recruit international students for paralegal positions (as they need to sponsor us). I also heard that this is especially the case for small firms. Is this a myth? Does anyone have any recommendations as to which firms to apply to for paralegal roles? Any tips will be appreciated!

I would really appreciate it if anyone can answer my question!
    They are unlikely to be able to get a visa for you for paralegal roles - they are unlikely to meet the requirements set by the U.K. government to get a visa. There are some exceptions but vast majority of paralegal roles won’t meet the visa requirements.

Most international students will apply for a graduate visa and use this to work on as a paralegal for up to two years.

Momo

Esteemed Member
    Nov 21, 2022
    They are unlikely to be able to get a visa for you for paralegal roles - they are unlikely to meet the requirements set by the U.K. government to get a visa. There are some exceptions but vast majority of paralegal roles won’t meet the visa requirements.

Most international students will apply for a graduate visa and use this to work on as a paralegal for up to two years.
    Are there such things as short-term paralegal roles like 2-3 months? Because I would love to secure a TC or a VS, I am less inclined to commit to 2 years as a paralegal.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Are there such things as short-term paralegal roles like 2-3 months? Because I would love to secure a TC or a VS, I am less inclined to commit to 2 years as a paralegal.
    2-3 months is unlikely unless it’s a temp role. You can register with some paralegal temp agencies for get such short term placements. There is no point applying for roles that are fixed term contracts or permanent roles if you can only work for 2-3 months.

Reactions: Momo

amrita6399

Valued Member
    Premium Member
  • Jul 13, 2023
    I have found a Paralegal listing that I would like to apply for, however, it requires a cover letter.

@Jessica Booker or anyone that has experience as a Paralegal, tell me how to structure and draft cover letters for these roles. Since I read online that it focuses more on the transferable skills of the candidate. However, I'm unsure about how to divide my paragraphs and what I should aim to cover in the letter. Any help is appreciated

DarrenB

Standard Member
    Oct 22, 2023
    Hi @Newborntrainee,

I don't know whether this thread is still active but it's worth sending a reply here. I am in a similar situation to you. I came to the UK this year after finishing my undergrad law degree in the Netherlands. Currently, I am pursuing the PgDL (same thing as the GDL) because I want to get a TC and qualify in the UK. As I have not secured a TC this cycle, I am looking for Paralegal roles. One impediment is that I am on a student visa (tier 4), which is due to expire in July. I do have the option to extend on a graduate visa but I'm not sure whether this is the best option for two reasons. First one would be financial and second would be the government's plans to alter the graduate route.

Do you think it's worth extending my visa to a graduate visa? How did you manage to secure a paralegal position? Did you just send your CV and applied to a bunch of law firms until you got a reply?

Thanks!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Newborntrainee,

I don't know whether this thread is still active but it's worth sending a reply here. I am in a similar situation to you. I came to the UK this year after finishing my undergrad law degree in the Netherlands. Currently, I am pursuing the PgDL (same thing as the GDL) because I want to get a TC and qualify in the UK. As I have not secured a TC this cycle, I am looking for Paralegal roles. One impediment is that I am on a student visa (tier 4), which is due to expire in July. I do have the option to extend on a graduate visa but I'm not sure whether this is the best option for two reasons. First one would be financial and second would be the government's plans to alter the graduate route.

Do you think it's worth extending my visa to a graduate visa? How did you manage to secure a paralegal position? Did you just send your CV and applied to a bunch of law firms until you got a reply?

Thanks!!
    I’d get the graduate visa while you can. They won’t revoke visa, they just won’t issue new ones if the visa is ended by the government. The financial considerations are an important thing to consider though as you will need to have the relevant funds for the visa.

If you want to work as a paralegal though, a graduate visa is really going to be the main way to work as getting sponsorship is incredibly difficult.

DarrenB

Standard Member
    Oct 22, 2023
    I’d get the graduate visa while you can. They won’t revoke visa, they just won’t issue new ones if the visa is ended by the government. The financial considerations are an important thing to consider though as you will need to have the relevant funds for the visa.

If you want to work as a paralegal though, a graduate visa is really going to be the main way to work as getting sponsorship is incredibly difficult.
    Hi @Jessica Booker,

I was thinking of extending to the graduate visa and building experience as a paralegal whilst applying for TCs. Thanks for your help!

Granga02

Mar 26, 2024
    Hi all

Hi there,
    Thank you for talking about your background and being open to helping! I graduated last year however I have been unable to secure any legal assistant/paralegal roles on my graduate visa. I am currently going back to my home country to get some work experience there instead. How did you manage to secure your first role in the UK? I only have pro bono/university society/retail/startup advising experience on my cv and I am unable to enter the legal sector at all. I am thinking of staying in my home country for now or applying in France/Switzerland as they seem more open to internationals from what I have heard from my alumni. Did you apply for a direct training contract as well? Thanks so much again. It’s been nine months since graduation and I feel like staying here is not worth it for my career anymore.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.