International Students & Vacation Schemes

• Thread starter Deleted member 2707
  • Start date

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    Hi - mind if I ask if that is a US firm or UK national firm? Asking as people have said that trainee intake and firm type do matter
    Would be really great to hear from you!
    Re visa, will you have any plans to go on a short study programme in the UK? As far as I know, and firms have confirmed, if you are on a Tier 4 study visa and your vacation scheme is outside term time, working in a vacscheme is fine!
    There is also the very slimmest chance a law firm could apply through the GAE scheme to bring you over. Unlikely, but I've not had enough experience of it to say for sure. Jess might know better as to whether this is an option.

https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/en/topics/firm-accreditations/tier-5-gae-scheme

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    There is also the very slimmest chance a law firm could apply through the GAE scheme to bring you over. Unlikely, but I've not had enough experience of it to say for sure. Jess might know better as to whether this is an option.

https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/en/topics/firm-accreditations/tier-5-gae-scheme
    Applying via an agency (for which the law society are acting as) like this is common.

There are a few of these agencies and it does get around the process of the firm having to get a licence. However, it isn’t necessarily straight forward as it means you have to be employed by the licence provider and then contracted out to the firm. This can often mean the firm ends up paying not only for the visa costs but also a marked up amount of your salary too.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.