Interview advice?

A

Aug 29, 2018
What is a good answer to why you want a career in law? I understand that the answer has to be personal but I was hoping for some inspiration. My three reasons that I've come up with in their simplest form are to help people, always learning since the law is always changing and because of the diversity a career in law offers. Do you think these reasons are unique enough? And how do I make them sound better?

• ℹ️
Reactions: Jai C.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    What is a good answer to why you want a career in law? I understand that the answer has to be personal but I was hoping for some inspiration. My three reasons that I've come up with in their simplest form are to help people, always learning since the law is always changing and because of the diversity a career in law offers. Do you think these reasons are unique enough? And how do I make them sound better?

Hey!

Two questions first: I assume you mean a career in commercial law? And I assume you are asking in reference to applications?

A

Aug 29, 2018
    Hey!

Two questions first: I assume you mean a career in commercial law? And I assume you are asking in reference to applications?

Hi!

Yes I do mean commercial law but I don't think it has to be specific to just this and they will probably ask me why I want to pursue a career in law just generally.
    And yes I am asking in reference to an interview question- sorry I forgot to write this.

Reactions: Jai C.

Jai C.

Esteemed Member
    May 15, 2018
    I’m actually interested in this answer too

I have read the answers of some people and they have stated that they love problem solving etc or client contact or the fact they get to be involved from start to finish or other unhelpful things like team work etc

ALL OF THESE THINGS CAN BE ATTRIBUTED TO EVEN CONSULTANCY ..so I am very interested to see what Approach Jaysen takes as to why law ..

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi!

Yes I do mean commercial law but I don't think it has to be specific to just this and they will probably ask me why I want to pursue a career in law just generally.
    And yes I am asking in reference to an interview question- sorry I forgot to write this.

Actually, if interviewers ask this question, they will almost always ask about your motivation for commercial law rather than just law (precisely because they do not want generic reasons).

Sometimes, law firms will ask both questions. In which case, your answers are a fine starting point for "why law?", but you would need to expand on your answers and back up your reasons with some evidence. For example, it's fine to say you are pursuing a career in law because you want to help people, but as Jai suggests, consider how this justifies your interest in law over other professions.

If you wanted to answer the question: "Why commercial law?", you should tailor your answers to commercial law and not just law generally.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.