Interview Clashes

Randy

Jun 17, 2019
Hi everyone,

I feel a bit silly even posing my question, but here it goes.

I have secured a VS and now have been invited to attend an AC with another firm on the same start date- common sense of course tells me to ask the AC firm to arrange another date if possible - however, from the group's experience, what would be the likelihood of this? -especially as its an AC with a smaller sized firm. I would hate to lose a good opportunity.

I've heard that it may be a good thing for employers to know you are having positive responses from other firms, however this did not work in my favour from my second to last interview experience.

Thank you! :)

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi everyone,

I feel a bit silly even posing my question, but here it goes.

I have secured a VS and now have been invited to attend an AC with another firm on the same start date- common sense of course tells me to ask the AC firm to arrange another date if possible - however, from the group's experience, what would be the likelihood of this? -especially as its an AC with a smaller sized firm. I would hate to lose a good opportunity.

I've heard that it may be a good thing for employers to know you are having positive responses from other firms, however this did not work in my favour from my second to last interview experience.

Thank you! :)

Your gut is right - ask the second firm if they can reschedule your AC. Hard to say the likelihood, but there's no harm in asking first and then reassessing your options after.

You don't really want to go for an interview during a vacation scheme, it does happen, but you want to avoid it unless it's absolutely necessary.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Agree with Jaysen - but particularly if the interview falls on the first day of your vacation scheme, this is even more tricky. It’s highly unlikely a firm will be able to accommodate you starting later, as basically it means they have to replicate all the on-boarding stuff they do on the first day just for you.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.