Interview length

SBrise

Jul 6, 2022
So, I've read that interviews for a TC can be as long as 75 minutes after a vacation scheme. I feel I've been somewhat proactive in my first year, I've got a a position in the law society, volunteer at a legal clinic, work part-time and attended open days. However, I see no way I could make all that stretch over a 75 minute, or even 50 minute interview without repeating myself and rambling. Does anyone have any general tips for activities that would make my interview experience better?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
So, I've read that interviews for a TC can be as long as 75 minutes after a vacation scheme. I feel I've been somewhat proactive in my first year, I've got a a position in the law society, volunteer at a legal clinic, work part-time and attended open days. However, I see no way I could make all that stretch over a 75 minute, or even 50 minute interview without repeating myself and rambling. Does anyone have any general tips for activities that would make my interview experience better?
It’s very easy for an interviewer to fill an hour interview with questions. In fact the challenge can often be keeping to time.

They won’t just be asking you about your experiences (in fact they may not ask about the things you have listed at all).

If this is a vacation scheme interview, there are could be a whole range of questions about how you have found your scheme, what you got up to, what you enjoyed/what you didn’t, what you worked on, how the schemes has refined your career motivations. You could also be asked about the rest of your plans for the summer, what you will do after the scheme etc.

And on top of that you could be asked commercial questions and get into a conversation with your interviewer about them.

Even if you are asked about your past experiences like those you have listed, you’ll typically be asked questions that will pull out specific details and be asked to explain scenarios.

You could also be given forward looking questions, that ask you to think about how you might tackle situations you would face as a trainee.

Reactions: SBrise

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.