Introduction with a difference

Tattyasha

Distinguished Member
Jan 15, 2023
Good evening all!

I hope you're having a great weekend. Like most of you (I suspect), mine has been spent applying for Vac Schemes and sailing through a wealth of emotions: one minute feeling empowered ("we can DO this!") and the next practically sobbing in a corner ("what even is the point? I've got no hope"). Wouldn't a level medium be nice?

So I'm Natasha, live in Berkshire, am 34 (how did that happen?) and have 3 children under 4 so, yes, my weekend has also included a bit of Peppa Pig and playing trains too, as well as the usual cooking, cleaning and laundry. Not normally one for these things as I'm usually far too embarrassed about sharing, I have reached a point where I've concluded I've nothing to lose, so here I am (slightly terrified).

I titled this post 'Introduction with a difference' because I do feel so far removed from what a 'typical' trainee is expected to be. Even though stereotypes are gradually being broken down and more is being done in respect of diversity and inclusion, it still feels like a world dominated by graduates with exceptional academics and, in all honesty, I worry I will never compete. Absolutely, academic results are the clearest way to determine if someone has the aptitude necessary to perform as a top lawyer and mitigating circumstances, I'm sure, are considered. To what extent, though, I wonder?

In summary, my life goes as follows:
Born on the Isle of Wight in 1989 with hip dysplasia that was diagnosed far too late to remedy without surgery. Multiple surgeries before starting school.
Education in under-performing state schools. Originally a high achiever and had it in mind I wanted a career in law from the age of around 6 (no idea why) but being bright resulted in severe bullying so soon established it was best to keep quiet.
Had further hip surgery in my first year of high school and required further surgery, meaning I was on crutches and in a wheelchair for most of my GCSE years. Banned from attending lessons due to the 'safety risks' and received no tuition, also unable to complete any coursework. Made to sit in the Student Support Centre each day surrounded by children experiencing dreadful suffering at home and with behavioural issues. Deepest sympathy for them and did my best to provide support, but that did nothing for my education.
Bullying due to being different naturally continued and was quite unpleasant. Developed anorexia, depression and anxiety.
Left school at 16 with 1 B, 5 Cs and 4 Ds - not great but probably not bad considering.

Went into full time work and eventually left the IOW with my partner. Qualified as a Mortgage Consultant and worked around 60hrs p/w. Decided to do my A Levels from home but again, with limited time, no tuition and no idea that exam technique was a thing, scraped through with BCC. It did the job to get on a distance learning degree course.

Got married, bought a house, went to work and did all the usual life stuff alongside studying for the LLB through Uni of London International Programmes. 100% exam based and again, no tuition so a pretty tough course. Success rates aren't published but a lot drop out. Anyway, started this in 2013 with the intention of completing over four years. Also got a job closer to home handling complaints for a CEO. First year went ok. Second wasn't too bad.

Then the fun really started...
2015 - total hip replacement
2016 - sat my exams but felt a bit iffy. Turns out I had a major infection. Hip needed to be replaced again. 6 months antibiotics, an allergy, anorexia relapse.
2017 - decided to have a year off to recuperate. Moved house and changed jobs instead 😅 Now head of a regulated complaints department in financial svcs.
2018 - booked exams and decided to start a family as was now 29. Discovered we were expecting. Two days later, mother announces terminal cancer diagnosis. Didn't sit exams. Went to work for husband for flexibility.
2019 - had my son in March. Mother died in September. Dealt with all arrangements as I'm an only child. Grandmother then died in November. Only grandchild so more arrangements and naturally, a lot of upset.
2020 - went on a much needed holiday in Feb. Grandfather died 2nd March. More arrangements. Lockdown. Diagnosed with autoimmune disease and ADHD. Daughter born in November.
2021 - inherited family home on IOW. Engaged architect to transform into luxury holiday-let. Adamant I would finish degree. Achieved a 2:1!
2022 - began the renovation of two properties and set up a property development business. Had baby 3. GRADUATED!!!

Phew! So as you can see, things have been a tad bumpy and I worry immensely that this career I've been pursuing my entire life is forever to be a pipe dream. I wish they were just excuses but these events have definitely had an impact.

Despite all this, I'm still hopeful for a US TC. It may well be delusional but I'm still standing in spite of the above and probably more resilient and determined than ever. Could I hack the long hours? Definitely. Would I want to? Without a doubt. Why US? Smaller intake and more responsibility. I may not appear to have the intellect and aptitude required on paper but I've got it in abundance where it matters. I've experience in a variety of professional roles, running departments, managing people, writing policies and implementing processes, report writing and adhering to regulation. I've assisted my husband with M&A work (he's an accountant/FD), due diligence and corporate debt collection, plus set up a business and started project managing renovations while on maternity leave. I've even represented myself in two successful legal disputes.

Hard work doesn't phase me and in every aptitude test I've ever taken I always come out well. I've just had a bit of a rough ride. Almost like I'm running a marathon only, instead of running through London like everyone else, dressed up as a giant teddy, I'm also running backwards, doing hurdles, wearing a blindfold and pirouetting every 100metres. Am I going to win? No chance. Could I have done without all the obstacles? Definitely possible!
I just have to hope someone, somewhere, sees beyond the grades, that they see I'm not a reflection of my certificates but that they are reflective of my circumstances. That, given a chance, I've got what it takes to be one of the most dedicated lawyers around.

Lovely to meet you all. Thank you for reading my story and wishing you all the very best of luck, from the bottom of my heart, in everything you do.

Happy Sunday,
Natasha x

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Good evening all!

I hope you're having a great weekend. Like most of you (I suspect), mine has been spent applying for Vac Schemes and sailing through a wealth of emotions: one minute feeling empowered ("we can DO this!") and the next practically sobbing in a corner ("what even is the point? I've got no hope"). Wouldn't a level medium be nice?

So I'm Natasha, live in Berkshire, am 34 (how did that happen?) and have 3 children under 4 so, yes, my weekend has also included a bit of Peppa Pig and playing trains too, as well as the usual cooking, cleaning and laundry. Not normally one for these things as I'm usually far too embarrassed about sharing, I have reached a point where I've concluded I've nothing to lose, so here I am (slightly terrified).

I titled this post 'Introduction with a difference' because I do feel so far removed from what a 'typical' trainee is expected to be. Even though stereotypes are gradually being broken down and more is being done in respect of diversity and inclusion, it still feels like a world dominated by graduates with exceptional academics and, in all honesty, I worry I will never compete. Absolutely, academic results are the clearest way to determine if someone has the aptitude necessary to perform as a top lawyer and mitigating circumstances, I'm sure, are considered. To what extent, though, I wonder?

Born on the Isle of Wight in 1989 with hip dysplasia that was diagnosed far too late to remedy without surgery. Multiple surgeries before starting school.
Education in under-performing state schools. Originally a high achiever and had it in mind I wanted a career in law from the age of around 6 (no idea why) but being bright resulted in severe bullying so soon established it was best to keep quiet.
Had further hip surgery in my first year of high school and required further surgery, meaning I was on crutches and in a wheelchair for most of my GCSE years. Banned from attending lessons due to the 'safety risks' and received no tuition, also unable to complete any coursework. Made to sit in the Student Support Centre each day surrounded by children experiencing dreadful suffering at home and with behavioural issues. Deepest sympathy for them and did my best to provide support, but that did nothing for my education.
Bullying due to being different naturally continued and was quite unpleasant. Developed anorexia, depression and anxiety.
Left school at 16 with 1 B, 5 Cs and 4 Ds - not great but probably not bad considering.

Went into full time work and eventually left the IOW with my partner. Qualified as a Mortgage Consultant and worked around 60hrs p/w. Decided to do my A Levels from home but again, with limited time, no tuition and no idea that exam technique was a thing, scraped through with BCC. It did the job to get on a distance learning degree course.

Got married, bought a house, went to work and did all the usual life stuff alongside studying for the LLB through Uni of London International Programmes. 100% exam based and again, no tuition so a pretty tough course. Success rates aren't published but a lot drop out. Anyway, started this in 2013 with the intention of completing over four years. Also got a job closer to home handling complaints for a CEO. First year went ok. Second wasn't too bad.

2016 - sat my exams but felt a bit iffy. Turns out I had a major infection. Hip needed to be replaced again. 6 months antibiotics, an allergy, anorexia relapse.
2017 - decided to have a year off to recuperate. Moved house and changed jobs instead 😅 Now head of a regulated complaints department in financial svcs.
2018 - booked exams and decided to start a family as was now 29. Discovered we were expecting. Two days later, mother announces terminal cancer diagnosis. Didn't sit exams. Went to work for husband for flexibility.
2019 - had my son in March. Mother died in September. Dealt with all arrangements as I'm an only child. Grandmother then died in November. Only grandchild so more arrangements and naturally, a lot of upset.
2020 - went on a much needed holiday in Feb. Grandfather died 2nd March. More arrangements. Lockdown. Diagnosed with autoimmune disease and ADHD. Daughter born in November.
2021 - inherited family home on IOW. Engaged architect to transform into luxury holiday-let. Adamant I would finish degree. Achieved a 2:1!
2022 - began the renovation of two properties and set up a property development business. Had baby 3. GRADUATED!!!

Phew! So as you can see, things have been a tad bumpy and I worry immensely that this career I've been pursuing my entire life is forever to be a pipe dream. I wish they were just excuses but these events have definitely had an impact.

Despite all this, I'm still hopeful for a US TC. It may well be delusional but I'm still standing in spite of the above and probably more resilient and determined than ever. Could I hack the long hours? Definitely. Would I want to? Without a doubt. Why US? Smaller intake and more responsibility. I may not appear to have the intellect and aptitude required on paper but I've got it in abundance where it matters. I've experience in a variety of professional roles, running departments, managing people, writing policies and implementing processes, report writing and adhering to regulation. I've assisted my husband with M&A work (he's an accountant/FD), due diligence and corporate debt collection, plus set up a business and started project managing renovations while on maternity leave. I've even represented myself in two successful legal disputes.

Hard work doesn't phase me and in every aptitude test I've ever taken I always come out well. I've just had a bit of a rough ride. Almost like I'm running a marathon only, instead of running through London like everyone else, dressed up as a giant teddy, I'm also running backwards, doing hurdles, wearing a blindfold and pirouetting every 100metres. Am I going to win? No chance. Could I have done without all the obstacles? Definitely possible!
I just have to hope someone, somewhere, sees beyond the grades, that they see I'm not a reflection of my certificates but that they are reflective of my circumstances. That, given a chance, I've got what it takes to be one of the most dedicated lawyers around.

Lovely to meet you all. Thank you for reading my story and wishing you all the very best of luck, from the bottom of my heart, in everything you do.

Happy Sunday,
Natasha x
I have loved reading your introduction - your candour comes through instantly! I was jotting down these points as I read through so that I was sure that I hadn't missed anything in my reply.
  1. Many firms do not consider GCSEs and A-Levels anymore. Those that require these grades from you must be told about your hip-related health issues and the impact of this on your high school education. This is important context without which firms will not be able to bridge the gap to understanding why your high school grades were low.
  2. Even though your undergrad grades are good (a 2:1 is generally a standard requirement however some firms may look for a high 2:1), I would still clearly mention the circumstances around losing your loved ones during your undergrad studies. This will help firms understand your unique challenges and weigh your grades appropriately by keeping this background in mind.
  3. This is not a pipe dream - getting a TC is absolutely doable if you're careful about filling out applications with all the contextual information necessary to explain your grades. The application process is kind of like a symphony of sorts - its success depends on how well all the different types of effort you put into different parts of the process complement each other. So your grades, despite being important, won't alone dictate your success at any point.
  4. Your life experiences and your work experience are your strengths - ensure that you give them the requisite attention and talk about them with great attention to detail so that firms can truly value all that you bring to the table. And trust me, you bring a lot!
I do hope that you keep posting here and updating us on where you are with applications and what stage of the process you're focusing on at any given point in time. There's a lot of support and insight that our community has to offer and by posting here you make yourself available to receiving this.

I wish you the very best - you have 100% got this! 💪🏼

• Love
Reactions: Tattyasha

futuretrainee202X

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2022
Good evening all!

Happy Sunday,
Natasha x
That is an incredible story.

I came in here to comment as I saw your post in the general vacation scheme thread. You sound like you've got so much to offer! Best of luck with your TC journey :)

• Love

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
sailing through a wealth of emotions: one minute feeling empowered ("we can DO this!") and the next practically sobbing in a corner ("what even is the point? I've got no hope"). Wouldn't a level medium be nice?
Just popped by to say that I think everyone feels like this! I was on the verge of giving up from the whole process a little while back after a string of about 10 post-app rejections, and just as I was about to give up I was sent an assessment centre invite!

You sound like you'd be an asset to any firm, and I'm looking forward to watching your journey :) Best of luck!

• Love

Tattyasha

Distinguished Member
Jan 15, 2023
I have loved reading your introduction - your candour comes through instantly! I was jotting down these points as I read through so that I was sure that I hadn't missed anything in my reply.
  1. Many firms do not consider GCSEs and A-Levels anymore. Those that require these grades from you must be told about your hip-related health issues and the impact of this on your high school education. This is important context without which firms will not be able to bridge the gap to understanding why your high school grades were low.
  2. Even though your undergrad grades are good (a 2:1 is generally a standard requirement however some firms may look for a high 2:1), I would still clearly mention the circumstances around losing your loved ones during your undergrad studies. This will help firms understand your unique challenges and weigh your grades appropriately by keeping this background in mind.
  3. This is not a pipe dream - getting a TC is absolutely doable if you're careful about filling out applications with all the contextual information necessary to explain your grades. The application process is kind of like a symphony of sorts - its success depends on how well all the different types of effort you put into different parts of the process complement each other. So your grades, despite being important, won't alone dictate your success at any point.
  4. Your life experiences and your work experience are your strengths - ensure that you give them the requisite attention and talk about them with great attention to detail so that firms can truly value all that you bring to the table. And trust me, you bring a lot!
I do hope that you keep posting here and updating us on where you are with applications and what stage of the process you're focusing on at any given point in time. There's a lot of support and insight that our community has to offer and by posting here you make yourself available to receiving this.

I wish you the very best - you have 100% got this! 💪🏼
Oh wow, thank you so much for such a kind and supportive reply @AvniD! I’m so sorry it’s taken me so long to come back to you - I just wanted to dedicate the time you kindly did for me.

I really hope you’re right. I’ve been making the most of mitigating circumstances boxes and explaining, pretty much as I have here, everything that’s gone on. I just worry they’ll think I’m a walking/talking book of excuses. The thing is, if I was doing it all again now, of course I’d deal with things differently and focused more on achieving instead of making friends. I’d have persevered with sixth form instead of leaving at 16 - but hindsight is a wonderful thing and maturity another. On the other hand, I can still remember exactly how I used to feel at the prospect of going into school, the sheer terror of it and whether it would be a day that was ok or one that really wasn’t. If it were one of my children in that position now, I wouldn’t make them stay. No amount of academia is worth that level of suffering. What’s the point in As if the holder of them is such a shell of a person they can’t use them?

Anyway, fortunately things have moved on a bit from where they were I think.

I really hope you’re right that, if I follow the steps you have suggested (I’ve really tried to) that someone sees beyond the grades.
So far, not so good 🤣 Mind you, only one PFO out of 10 applications (out of one response 🤦‍♀️). It seems to me that this is very much the way of the world though and that most people get a fair few rejections before they hit the jackpot.

Thanks so much again and lovely to meet you! 💕

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD

Tattyasha

Distinguished Member
Jan 15, 2023
That is an incredible story.

I came in here to comment as I saw your post in the general vacation scheme thread. You sound like you've got so much to offer! Best of luck with your TC journey :)
Thank you so much @ml_vk2022 thats so kind of you. I think I could bring something to the table but, to be fair, so many people can, far more than available places I’m sure!
Lovely to meet you and thank you again for your kind words. Wishing you all the luck in the world and keeping everything crossed for you! I’ll look forward to seeing your success story really soon.
Take care!

• Love
Reactions: futuretrainee202X

Tattyasha

Distinguished Member
Jan 15, 2023
Just popped by to say that I think everyone feels like this! I was on the verge of giving up from the whole process a little while back after a string of about 10 post-app rejections, and just as I was about to give up I was sent an assessment centre invite!

You sound like you'd be an asset to any firm, and I'm looking forward to watching your journey :) Best of luck!
Thank you so much @HopefulFutureTrainee123 that’s so kind of you to say! Massive congratulations on the AC invitation - have you attended yet? If not I’m sure you’ll sail through, if so, I’m sure you did sail through!
Keep in touch as I’d love to hear your success story.
All the best and thank you again 💕

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
Thank you so much @HopefulFutureTrainee123 that’s so kind of you to say! Massive congratulations on the AC invitation - have you attended yet? If not I’m sure you’ll sail through, if so, I’m sure you did sail through!
Keep in touch as I’d love to hear your success story.
All the best and thank you again 💕
It's in a couple of weeks, so I've been frantically preparing whilst trying to send off a few more applications, and also juggling that with work, sports, and a hectic home life!! Thank you so much!

josephpayne

Standard Member
Nov 28, 2023
Good evening all!

I just have to hope someone, somewhere, sees beyond the grades, that they see I'm not a reflection of my certificates but that they are reflective of my circumstances. To write my essay for me in 3 hours can be challenging and may not allow enough time for research and proper editing. That, given a chance, I've got what it takes to be one of the most dedicated lawyers around.

Happy Sunday,
Natasha x
Hello Natasha,

Thank you for sharing your incredible journey and story with us. You've faced significant challenges and obstacles along the way, and your determination and resilience are truly commendable. Your journey and experiences make you a unique and valuable individual in the legal profession, and your ambition to pursue a training contract is admirable.

Best of luck on your journey to becoming a solicitor. You're not alone, and there are many who believe in you.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.