Introduction

rickyb

Nov 27, 2022
Hi Everyone!

I’m Ricky, a first year LLB Law student at Queen Mary University of London. I’m especially interested in commercial law, more specifically corporate and finance seats, but I’ve learned to keep an open mind.
I’m writing article for a blog (and hopefully building my commercial awareness alongside it), and hope to learn how to write applications effectively! I’ve also lurked around TCLA forums, and have found them to be extremely beneficial to further my understanding, so thank you to the TCLA team and all the members for everything :)
Is there anything I should be focusing on to further my chances to secure a VS/TC in the upcoming years?
Cheers!

Reactions: Jessica Booker

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi Everyone!

I’m Ricky, a first year LLB Law student at Queen Mary University of London. I’m especially interested in commercial law, more specifically corporate and finance seats, but I’ve learned to keep an open mind.
I’m writing article for a blog (and hopefully building my commercial awareness alongside it), and hope to learn how to write applications effectively! I’ve also lurked around TCLA forums, and have found them to be extremely beneficial to further my understanding, so thank you to the TCLA team and all the members for everything :)
Is there anything I should be focusing on to further my chances to secure a VS/TC in the upcoming years?
Cheers!
HI Ricky, welcome to TCLA! I was happy to read that you're keeping an open mind about the particular seats you're interested in pursuing within commercial law. This will help you appreciate a law firm as a business!

In terms of what you should be focusing on to further your chances- I think there are a number of things you can start with and then try to maintain as you go along with applications-
  1. Commercial awareness- absolutely non-negotiable, this will help you better understand how to think like a lawyer and what the role of law firms is in the wider context of business news.
  2. Reaching out to your core firms of interest- whether this is through open days, webinars, online events or on LinkedIn, this will help you demonstrate that you've made the initiative to get to know the firm and build a connection.
  3. Improving application answers- there is always something you can improve in your writing so ensuring that you're getting it reviewed by a second pair of eyes is crucial. Always back your motivations and answers up with evidence and examples so that your applications are convincing.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.