Introduction

gabbynunes235

Jan 6, 2023
Hi everyone, I'm Gabby and I’m currently in my final year of my Geography degree at Durham University and am in the middle of applying for summer vacation schemes.

I think what I’m struggling with the most is developing my commercial awareness skills, I almost don’t really know where to start in terms of building this into my daily routine. I also get quite daunted by the fact that there are so many different sectors that law firms operate in, I don’t know how I am supposed to have such a breadth of knowledge about multiple industries. Is there any advice you have in terms of this?

Another thing I’m finding difficult is how to go about researching firms and then stand out in my applications about why I am applying to that firm. I know it is important to link the firm’s values back to yourself, but I still feel like my answers are quite generic e.g. I’m drawn to firm X because it is a leader in the energy sector, this is an area that through my Geography degree I have become extremely passionate about.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi everyone, I'm Gabby and I’m currently in my final year of my Geography degree at Durham University and am in the middle of applying for summer vacation schemes.

I think what I’m struggling with the most is developing my commercial awareness skills, I almost don’t really know where to start in terms of building this into my daily routine. I also get quite daunted by the fact that there are so many different sectors that law firms operate in, I don’t know how I am supposed to have such a breadth of knowledge about multiple industries. Is there any advice you have in terms of this?

Another thing I’m finding difficult is how to go about researching firms and then stand out in my applications about why I am applying to that firm. I know it is important to link the firm’s values back to yourself, but I still feel like my answers are quite generic e.g. I’m drawn to firm X because it is a leader in the energy sector, this is an area that through my Geography degree I have become extremely passionate about.
Hi Gabby! Welcome to TCLA 😊

You don't need to have knowledge about the entire breadth of industries that law firms serve to be commercially aware. The focus needs to be on understanding the core commercial and legal issues in a news story and identifying the role that lawyers play in addressing them. I've broken this down in a bit more detail here.

As for linking the firm back to yourself, in the geography degree example, you have identified what may be sparking your interest but you haven't actually drawn out the link. How has your degree helped you gain knowledge of the energy sector? And further, how has this knowledge translated into your wanting to become a commercial lawyer?

I'm guessing that taking a pen and paper and sitting down to reflect on your motivations for wanting a career in law for a short while will help in making these links stronger. I'd also advise watching webinars or attending open days to better understand how law firms differ from each other and how you can tailor your apps to each firm.

Reactions: Jaysen

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.