Irwin Mitchell Question

Olivia Graham

Star Member
Aug 6, 2019
One of the questions on the Irwin Mitchell application is:

"What are the main challenges you anticipate you may face as a trainee solicitor and how would you approach them?"

I have to admit I am struggling a little with this. Would it be appropriate to include something along the lines of adjusting to the workload or interacting with clients? Any thoughts would be welcome!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    One of the questions on the Irwin Mitchell application is:

"What are the main challenges you anticipate you may face as a trainee solicitor and how would you approach them?"

I have to admit I am struggling a little with this. Would it be appropriate to include something along the lines of adjusting to the workload or interacting with clients? Any thoughts would be welcome!

This comes down to your understanding the role of a trainee solicitor. Those sound along the right lines, just make sure you’re being very specific i.e. in what context do you think you’ll be interacting with clients and what would be challenging about that?

Some of the challenges I faced in my (limited) time as a trainee:

- Managing workloads and expectations for different supervisors
    - Surviving back to back long hours
    - Finding the balance between asking for help and doing things myself
    - Handling the uncertainty of not initially knowing what to do for most tasks

Olivia Graham

Star Member
    Aug 6, 2019
    This comes down to your understanding the role of a trainee solicitor. Those sound along the right lines, just make sure you’re being very specific i.e. in what context do you think you’ll be interacting with clients and what would be challenging about that?

Some of the challenges I faced in my (limited) time as a trainee:

- Managing workloads and expectations for different supervisors
    - Surviving back to back long hours
    - Finding the balance between asking for help and doing things myself
    - Handling the uncertainty of not initially knowing what to do for most tasks

Thank you so much!

MFK

Aug 25, 2019
    Hi Olivia,

How did you go about answering this question then? I am applying for their TC and am struggling as well. I don't know how honest I should be about how I think I may struggle.

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    Hi Olivia,

How did you go about answering this question then? I am applying for their TC and am struggling as well. I don't know how honest I should be about how I think I may struggle.
    I am getting ready to apply for the TC too. I think the emphasis is "how would you approach them?". So, for example, what would you do/how would you manage when faced with the challenge of being given work from different supervisors.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Olivia,

you should be honest but not necessarily list out everything. Focus on 1-3 areas you want to develop and know you need to but demonstrate how you may approach your development in these areas or how you are already trying to develop your skills in these areas. If you have enough word count you could do both.

the key part is “main” challenges - any firm knows trainees will have challenges, even if they are the most capable/confident trainee out there.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.