Irwin Mitchell Vacation Scheme Application Question

jam1999

Star Member
Feb 24, 2020
Hi!

I'm so sorry as I think this query has been answered before by @Jaysen but I can't find the answer anywhere no matter how much I have searched for it!

@Alice G @Jaysen I would really appreciate some tips on structuring this Q!

'After a busy day at the office, you begin your journey home on the train. The passenger next to you notices you are reading a legal journal and mentions that they are currently looking for a new firm of solicitors as they are not happy with their current firm. How would you promote Irwin Mitchell to the potential client?'

Is it worth highlighting the issue that we do not know what the client needs are - IM is a full-service firm so the client needs could be ranging from personal injury to mergers and acquisitions! Or do you think this is more about the USP of the firm / or maybe a bit of both?

Any tips on structure would be great :)

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi!

I'm so sorry as I think this query has been answered before by @Jaysen but I can't find the answer anywhere no matter how much I have searched for it!

'After a busy day at the office, you begin your journey home on the train. The passenger next to you notices you are reading a legal journal and mentions that they are currently looking for a new firm of solicitors as they are not happy with their current firm. How would you promote Irwin Mitchell to the potential client?'

Is it worth highlighting the issue that we do not know what the client needs are - IM is a full-service firm so the client needs could be ranging from personal injury to mergers and acquisitions! Or do you think this is more about the USP of the firm / or maybe a bit of both?

A bit of both sounds sensible to me. I do think there's value to giving a nuanced view and touching on the kind of points you would find out throughout your answer. That said, we do have to assume you don't know what kind of legal services the client is looking for.

Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hi!

I agree with Jaysen and highlighting full service could be a good route to take but I’d personally not make it the huge focus, here you want to be getting to the heart of what makes IM entirely unique. Really show off your knowledge and depth of research- are they doing anything in tech which will make fees competitive above other firms or differently to other firms? I think the full service point is sensible and a good one to have but really try to hone in on what makes IM distinct from its closest competitors :) structure wise, aim for fewer points- 2/3 done really well in the word count rather than trying to cover too much ground as in doing the latter responses often lack the depth and analysis required. For example, it’s one thing to mention a tech initiative and another to really explain why this matters to the client and also the firm in terms of staying competitive and marinating close client relationships.
    Just as an aside, to stand out here is personally start my response with a few key questions for this potential new client, just to show the firm I am wanting to understand the needs you rightly flag but that’s just me personally!

jam1999

Star Member
    Feb 24, 2020
    I agree with Jaysen and highlighting full service could be a good route to take but I’d personally not make it the huge focus, here you want to be getting to the heart of what makes IM entirely unique. Really show off your knowledge and depth of research- are they doing anything in tech which will make fees competitive above other firms or differently to other firms? I think the full service point is sensible and a good one to have but really try to hone in on what makes IM distinct from its closest competitors :) structure wise, aim for fewer points- 2/3 done really well in the word count rather than trying to cover too much ground as in doing the latter responses often lack the depth and analysis required. For example, it’s one thing to mention a tech initiative and another to really explain why this matters to the client and also the firm in terms of staying competitive and marinating close client relationships.
    Just as an aside, to stand out here is personally start my response with a few key questions for this potential new client, just to show the firm I am wanting to understand the needs you rightly flag but that’s just me personally!

Do you think its a good idea to end with a sentence saying I would organise some sort of follow-up conversation with the potential client or do you think thats a waste of word count?

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Do you think its a good idea to end with a sentence saying I would organise some sort of follow-up conversation with the potential client or do you think thats a waste of word count?
    I guess it depends, if you have the words it’s a sensible point of action :)

MFK

Aug 25, 2019
    Hi! Should I write my answer as if I am talking to the potential client or should I structure it like this - 'I would say xyx and do xyz' if that makes sense?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi! Should I write my answer as if I am talking to the potential client or should I structure it like this - 'I would say xyx and do xyz' if that makes sense?

Personally, I prefer a discussion of what you would do, but I don't see harm in either approach.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.