Irwin Mitchell Video Interview

PhoebeL

Esteemed Member
Jan 7, 2020
Hey guys,

Pretty sure I messed up my interview but wanted to help you guys out nevertheless....

Here are the Qs I was asked:

1) When have you disagreed with a group decision? How did you move forward?
- This was pretty hard for me as I often agree with people as most of the people I surround myself are either likeminded or are very convincing.
- I spoke about how my sub-editors of the student newspaper disagreed with my expansion strategy but i don't think i phrased it very well.

2) How have you demonstrated a work ethic?
- I explained how my tutoring business requires me to take initiative, be patient, juggle several clients and also have a strong understanding of my client.
-HOWEVER, i wish i spoke about balancing 2 part time jobs alongside university *sobs* and the skills i demonstrated doing this.

3) How have I approached a problem I couldn't solve?
- I spoke too much about the specifics rather than my strategy here.

4) How would I sell the firm to a client within the BLS?
- This went OK.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey guys,

Pretty sure I messed up my interview but wanted to help you guys out nevertheless....

- This was pretty hard for me as I often agree with people as most of the people I surround myself are either likeminded or are very convincing.
    - I spoke about how my sub-editors of the student newspaper disagreed with my expansion strategy but i don't think i phrased it very well.

- I explained how my tutoring business requires me to take initiative, be patient, juggle several clients and also have a strong understanding of my client.
    -HOWEVER, i wish i spoke about balancing 2 part time jobs alongside university *sobs* and the skills i demonstrated doing this.

- This went OK.

Wow tough VI questions. From what you’ve said above - and assuming you communicated clearly - it sounds like you did pretty well. I think it’s inevitable to pick apart your answers/feel like you could have answered better!

NickMcK

Star Member
    Nov 16, 2019
    Hey guys,

- This went OK.

Thank you for this, planning to do mine over the weekend.

Can I just ask, how long were you given to prepare and how long were you expected to answer for?

Online I have seen 30 seconds preparation and 2 minutes to answer in previous years. Is it the same?

PhoebeL

Esteemed Member
    Jan 7, 2020
    Yeah, 30 seconds to prepare 2 to answer and one attempt per q.
    I had sticky notes at eye level with my webcam

Attachments

• upload_2020-2-19_19-28-16.jpeg
      upload_2020-2-19_19-28-16.jpeg
      26.8 KB · Views: 69
    • upload_2020-2-19_19-28-16.png
      upload_2020-2-19_19-28-16.png
      144.3 KB · Views: 52
    • 🤝
    Reactions: NickMcK

NickMcK

Star Member
    Nov 16, 2019
    Yeah, 30 seconds to prepare 2 to answer and one attempt per q.
    I had sticky notes at eye level with my webcam

Fantastic - thank you! This is so helpful. The sticky notes are a good tip. During the only VI I have done before I decorated my laptop with post-its saying 'look at the camera and SMILE'.

LJ96

Premium Member
    Feb 29, 2020
    Congrats on the AC invite!

I have been invited for a PLS VI. If anyone has any advice it would be appreciated as this is my first round of VS applications and I have no idea what to expect!

• 🏆
    Reactions: PhoebeL

PhoebeL

Esteemed Member
    Jan 7, 2020
    Just wanted to update everyone; I took part in the VS and was interviewed for a TC. Found out a couple of weeks ago that I was not successful in getting a TC and I had my call with grad recruitment today.
    From what they told me they said they wished they could have offered me a TC, however they cut the numbers from 21 for BLS to 11 (across 13 offices) due to the pandemic and the person they offered had a couple of years of paralegal experience. Good luck with applications for next cycle lmk if you want any tips

NadineBusty

Valued Member
    Aug 21, 2019
    Just wanted to update everyone; I took part in the VS and was interviewed for a TC. Found out a couple of weeks ago that I was not successful in getting a TC and I had my call with grad recruitment today.
    From what they told me they said they wished they could have offered me a TC, however they cut the numbers from 21 for BLS to 11 (across 13 offices) due to the pandemic and the person they offered had a couple of years of paralegal experience. Good luck with applications for next cycle lmk if you want any tips

I am so sorry to hear this. I hope you will be able to reapply next cycle and be successful in securing the TC with IM!

• 🤝
    Reactions: PhoebeL

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.