Is anyone else just burnt out at this point

astra3127

Star Member
Apr 25, 2020
I started this whole journey pretty bright eyed. Learnt the ropes, did all the open day applications, attended law fairs, applied, networked. Got two vacs first round, did the vacs at American firms. I'm American so I initially wanted to go back to America. Didn't get any TCs but it was okay.

I realised I wanted to stay in England, and I preferred firms that had a better work/life balance. I wanted to work in Family/Clin neg/Private Client. Something with humans, corporate didn't interest me as much. Did the whole cycle again. Open days, applications, law firm, network. Applied to places like IM, Fieldfisher, Farrer and Co, etc. Surprisingly faced a lot of negative feedback about what I realise now are cultural differences, basically I was way too American at AC and I have had to tone myself down significantly. I got past application stage for five of these, none of them culminated in a TC.

All this time, I am working multiple jobs, juggling my degree, dealing with other mitigating circumstances. I have no parental support throughout university or now and am responsible for keeping myself fed and clothed. I never have just one thing to worry about, there's always my LLB or LPC going on + my job + applying for TCs.

Third round I'm realising I exhausted the mid sized firms that sponsor visas. I now go for firms that sponsor visas but have good work life balance at least, and nice people, which is most important to me. TLT, Hill Dickinson. And some random smattering of anyone who will sponsor me, I don't want to get kicked out of the country at this point. Ashurst. I get to final interview for all three. So far all have rejected me except TLT, that's on Thursday, their AC. I'm preparing best I can for it now.

All of these rejections have been for different reasons. Some liked my personality, others didn't. Some liked my presentation style, others didn't. I did badly in case studies and group exercises at first, now I am better. I'm learning from my mistakes.

But I am just so tired. Idk why I'm even venting here I just feel like others on this forum will understand. I physically don't feel like I have it in me to go on this rollercoaster again, all the hours of applying to open days, going to open days, falling in love with a firm, applying for the firm, prepping for presentations, watson glasers, group exercises, case studies, interviews in this style or that style, just to be let down after almost a year of engaging with a firm. I am afraid of not getting anything in the next two years and being sent back to America once my visa expires. All my friends got training contracts ages ago. It's just super frustrating and I feel the life has been knocked out of me

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    I really relate to this. I'm from the US too and was staring down the barrel of not being able to stay in the UK after self funding the GDL and LPC. The nightmare of that scenario kept me up at night basically every day for the past year. I ended up getting a TC, but despite that I am still having visa issues and have no idea how the next two years are going to go because immigrant life is hell.

I wish I had some kind of sage advice to give because I know how awful the situation is, and you must be completely exhausted. I was basically a zombie through my winter vacation scheme applications and only got through it with the help of some annoyingly optimistic friends who were always willing to help.

In terms of practical advice, you may have to widen your search to firms with a shitty worklife balance but ones that will actually sponsor you. The shitty part of needing a visa is that unless there is an international element to the work, you being foreign is going to be a cost to the firm rather than a benefit. You are being held to an even higher standard for the types of law you want to do because there are just as many people who are just as good who don't need visa sponsorship. You likely know this already, but it might put your struggles into context.

At this point, you have to decide what to prioritise. If its staying in the UK and being in law come hell or high water, broaden your search to other firms that aren't ideal but are enough to qualify, and be kept on at qualification, and get permanent residency. If staying is more important than being in law, start looking into other graduate programmes. If being in law is the main goal, consider qualifying in the US and coming back to the UK as a New York qualified lawyer.

At the moment though, you need a break. Burn out is self perpetuating and it'll just keep piling on and wearing you down until there is nothing left. If you can reduce some of your obligations you should and you should take a break from TC and VS applications.

You also need to remember that you are fighting an uphill battle others aren't. I don't think international students give themselves enough credit because it is significantly more difficult and firms/companies are either entirely ignorant about visa rules most of the time or don't care to learn. You should be proud of how well you've done so far, especially considering you're supporting yourself through it all and never getting a break. It's a horrible, inhumane, soul destroying process and to not have given up is an achievement in itself.

astra3127

Star Member
    Apr 25, 2020
    You’re absolutely right. I had already realised I had to broaden my focus, thus the apps to places like Ashurst - wasn’t keen but they’d sponsor, I thought. I think enthusiasm does come through though, because it’s telling the two I really did want, Hill Dickinson and TLT, were the only other final round invites - the rest of my random commercial apps failed except Ashurst.

And you’re right again, I’ve already decided to apply for consulting and other types of grad schemes next fall if I don’t get TLT on Thursday. America is...lol you know. I do not want to go back for any reason, and my life is here. My partner, my friends, everything. Once I get British citizenship I can do whatever I want, until then beggars can’t be choosers.

I have decided to rest as well because I don’t want to burn out, lol it’s like you’re reading my mind. This year was actually supposed to be my “rest” year so I could focus on my LPC and my job and just recover from burnout, but the ACs all got moved back due to corona so I wound up having them anyway, right during mock exam season and right during a crunch period at my paralegal job. I won’t apply again until my LPC is done, will try to recover.

I’m applying all the strategies I’m supposed to, I’m just tired, and it sounds like you understand that completely. It’s really frustrating when you do everything you are supposed to and just aren’t seeing results. I’m trying to get myself hyped for this AC and I’m going to do the best I can, I pray it is the last

naila00

Mar 1, 2021
    Hi all,

I desperately need some advice...

I'm currently a second year Criminology student. But I wish to pursue Law. I didn't get into a Law course because I got CCC in my A Levels.

I've been so depressed the past two years, because I couldn't drop out because uni is a big thing in my family and I didn't want to disappoint my parents.

If you guys could help me with a few questions.

1. What law firms would accept a person with CCC grades at A Level? -If any even would :(

2. Do I even bother applying for Training Contracts?

3. Where and when do I even start?

4. What should be my next steps? What should I even be doing right now? 😭

If someone could please help me I'd really appreciate it. I've never been so lost and done with everything. I don't want to pursue a career in policing or social work or anything like that. Do you have any suggestions on more career paths I can pursue with Criminology?

em311

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Jun 15, 2019
    Hi all,

I desperately need some advice...

I'm currently a second year Criminology student. But I wish to pursue Law. I didn't get into a Law course because I got CCC in my A Levels.

I've been so depressed the past two years, because I couldn't drop out because uni is a big thing in my family and I didn't want to disappoint my parents.

If you guys could help me with a few questions.

1. What law firms would accept a person with CCC grades at A Level? -If any even would :(

2. Do I even bother applying for Training Contracts?

3. Where and when do I even start?

4. What should be my next steps? What should I even be doing right now? 😭

If someone could please help me I'd really appreciate it. I've never been so lost and done with everything. I don't want to pursue a career in policing or social work or anything like that. Do you have any suggestions on more career paths I can pursue with Criminology?

There are law firms that have scrapped asking for A-Level grades on applications! Perhaps have a look at these firms which don't have A-Level requirements and see what sort of practice areas they have to get a feel of the work they do:)

If this is something you definitely want to do then don't give up! It's definitely a hard journey but it is still possible. Good luck!

• Love
    Reactions: naila00

Alison C

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    You’re absolutely right. I had already realised I had to broaden my focus, thus the apps to places like Ashurst - wasn’t keen but they’d sponsor, I thought. I think enthusiasm does come through though, because it’s telling the two I really did want, Hill Dickinson and TLT, were the only other final round invites - the rest of my random commercial apps failed except Ashurst.

And you’re right again, I’ve already decided to apply for consulting and other types of grad schemes next fall if I don’t get TLT on Thursday. America is...lol you know. I do not want to go back for any reason, and my life is here. My partner, my friends, everything. Once I get British citizenship I can do whatever I want, until then beggars can’t be choosers.

I have decided to rest as well because I don’t want to burn out, lol it’s like you’re reading my mind. This year was actually supposed to be my “rest” year so I could focus on my LPC and my job and just recover from burnout, but the ACs all got moved back due to corona so I wound up having them anyway, right during mock exam season and right during a crunch period at my paralegal job. I won’t apply again until my LPC is done, will try to recover.

I’m applying all the strategies I’m supposed to, I’m just tired, and it sounds like you understand that completely. It’s really frustrating when you do everything you are supposed to and just aren’t seeing results. I’m trying to get myself hyped for this AC and I’m going to do the best I can, I pray it is the last
    Hi @astra3127

I don't have sage words either except that you are doing really well getting as far as you have. I wonder if you need to consider re-applying to some of your near misses too? It's really important to separate out 'they don't like me' from 'they don't like my answers'. The first one can be true of people/your relationships, and we all have to work with people we might not choose to. But the second one is what you are working towards conquering. It's your behaviour, your thinking, and what emerges from your mouth in an interview/AC - as well as what doesn't.

My mum was American and there are some really vast cultural differences, which are all the more difficult to get your head around because there isn't a noticeable language barrier. Some of them will be helpful - you might have a dry sense of humour, an ebullient 'have a good day' mentality and a love of anything over 200 years old; you might not. Tailoring what you present to a future employer is something that you seem to be having some success in, even if it is exhausting. But celebrating difference is part of a truly diverse and inclusive workplace.

If you aren't already a premium member of TCLA you might want to consider that - even if it's only for a few months. If you are getting interviews then you have the grades - and the ancillaries. It is a process of attrition but it's also about finding a good fit.

The most important thing at the moment is the LPC - so try to enjoy it? Fingers crossed for you.

Reactions: Holly

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.