Is doing the PGDL still worth it?

GlorzG

Premium Member
Sep 7, 2022
Hi everyone,

I'm due to start the PGDL in a few days. However, I'm contemplating whether it is still worth doing with this new SQE route. I know many law firms will still put their non-law applicants through the PGDL so I would be at an advantage if I start it already. But I'm wondering whether I should just pay for a SQE prep course and attempt to do the SQE without having a law conversion course.

Any insight on this would be great!

divaination

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 31, 2022
    it really depends on the firms you apply to and their firm wide policy. to my knowledge firms fund pgdl because it allows you better chances to pass sqe courses on the first try. that's really their priority there, and not the pgdl itself

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    My view is it is if you stand a chance of getting into a good firm as the firms put their future trainees into the PGDL before the SQE course. However if someone might be trying to get into law with low grades, not much chance at a bigger firm, probabl8y will cobble together QWE in various ways and then hope to obtain a job at a regional high street firm in those cases I am not sure it is necessary (although I was taught a huge amount of law in my 3 year LLB which I use to this day. So I certainly find detailed study of law very useful on a personal level).

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.