Is it possible to get a TC with a low Trusts grade?

Joe Pagett

Jan 22, 2019
Recently got rejected after the online application phase for a vacation scheme after reaching the assessment centre last application cycle for the same firm. I've asked for some feedback, but since the application was largely the same, I can only think of two reasons:

1) More applicants for the vac scene than the TC
2) Though I graduated with a 2:1, I got a 45 in Trusts - is this unacceptable to the point that I can't really get a city TC?

Many thanks in advance for any answers or advice

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I doubt it was due to your trusts grade alone unless the firm is known for being particularly stringent on grades.

It could be down to them not necessarily seeing enough scope for development since your assessment centre

Reactions: Joe Pagett

Joe Pagett

Jan 22, 2019
I doubt it was due to your trusts grade alone unless the firm is known for being particularly stringent on grades.

It could be down to them not necessarily seeing enough scope for development since your assessment centre

Thanks for the response, didn't think of that. From what I've read I do not believe the firm is especially stringent on grades.

The assessment centre was in June, I've done some volunteer teaching abroad and an online internship with a law firm since then.

I've asked for feedback but given the rejection being early in the recruitment process I'm not sure they'll be able to tell me anything.

Thanks again!

Joe Pagett

Jan 22, 2019
I'm fairly sure quite a few firms don't willingly give individual feedback/rejection reasons until you've actually reached the assessment center phase, just a warning, although FOI requests might probably work.

Quite right, I didn't expect them to tell me anything.

Fortunately, I have spoken to the various graduate recruiters there and they were happy to tell me where I went wrong exactly.

I didn't detail how I had progressed and improved myself since July last year, there wasn't a section that some other firms have that expressly ask for this detail so at least I know now that I have to overtly make this clear in the standard space for answers.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Adam Gilchrist

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.