Is the Aspire Programme Worth it?

Legalregal

Valued Member
Jan 13, 2021
As someone just beginning a new full-time job, attending the sessions is extremely difficult and, having to continually take time off, is not leaving a great impression at work (IMO a diversity scheme should cater for those not available working hours if it is actually trying to increase diversity) . Can someone who's previously been on the Aspire programme tell me that it is actually worth it?

Reactions: Georgina Evans

Kubed

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    Do they have many sessions during working hours? I did it last year and some were in the day but others were in the evening. The mentoring sessions are short (30 mins) and can be arranged to be at lunch-time (if that's possible) or after work. I did find the support of the mentor and increased access to firms useful. In particular, going to through my applications gave me the confidence that what I was submitting was actually pretty good.

Adrian_Healey

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer 14
  • Oct 18, 2020
    I was on it last year, I would particularly recommend it for the open days (they send out invites without requiring applications, usually at your preferred type of firm). The virtual law fair is also great because you get to meet firms you wouldn’t have previously considered. You would also be eligible to apply (more like a sign up) to their mentoring schemes which is great if there is a firm you’re interested in applying that has a scheme for your diversity ‘group’.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Couple of weeks late here, but in addition to everything else that's already been mentioned, Aspire is very worth it is because when you book mock interview calls before an AC, I'm almost certain some of the questions they ask you is based on questions previous candidates that have interviewed at that specific firm have been asked. Seems insignificant but the little bit of additional knowledge on what to expect that really helps!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.